Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2004 10:44:20 AM EDT
I have been reading about the Free float forend grips.

Does anyone have exposure with these and what do you think ?

What is there to changing these out ?? I see its a two person job, pulling the retaining ring
down and remove the two halves.

I was told that you need to knock out the two pins on the front tower site ??
If so, do you punch back in the same two or need to replace them ??

Is there other hardware that needs to be removed before you slide the new forend over the barrel and gas tube ??

Thanks for the feed back.
John
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone have exposure with these and what do you think ?

I think they have their uses.

What is there to changing these out ??

Depends on which unit you purchase.

I see its a two person job, pulling the retaining ring
down and remove the two halves.

Only if you're a 'Girly-Man'.  While it is easier with 2 people - it can be done by an individual (it's even easier if you have the tool).

I was told that you need to knock out the two pins on the front tower site ??

For some of the units that is true.

If so, do you punch back in the same two or need to replace them ??

Theoretically you should replace them - but everyone I know (myself included) just re-use them.

Is there other hardware that needs to be removed before you slide the new forend over the barrel and gas tube ??

In some cases the handguard cap.

In some cases the Deltaring and associated spring & clip.

In some cases the barrel nut itself need to be replaced.

Which unit are you looking at?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at the Hogue forend..Nice feel as with their other grips and it wont slip out of your hands when it gets wet or damp..

Suggestions ??

I have heard that you will need to dis-assemble the barrel..

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info..I called several places and got different information.

I read the manual on the BM..I have the drift puches but not a slave punch..I could do it if I take my time. I wanted the feed back and see what others thought.

I will introduce myself in the local forum..
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all those words..good information. I am still undecided about changing the forends out.

I dont plan on adding hardware to it but I did like the hogue forends for the grip and comfort when you are hold onto the forend for hours of shoot. I cant tell by their pics if its vented much.

I dont want one that isnt vented much or heats up regardless of the nice grip.

The two piece seem nice that you dont have to take the front site off.

If I did take it off I may leave it off since I have a scope and dont use it.

I did see that slave punch at Brownells..I do have the other dift punches so I would get that one to complete the kit..

Since I am new to this hardware I get a little apprehensive about tearing it up on things I have not messed with before.

I do a lot of reading and research first.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
For the Houge you will need to remove the Front sight base and the barrel nut (remove the FSB first that way you won't have to remove the gas tube from the FSB).  I've found removing the pins from the Bushmaster HBARS to be a bear and a half (much easier with the Lightweights).

I really don't recommend this procedure unless you're really confident of your skills.  It's pretty easy to ding up your FSB.

On the other hand the Troy MRF is easy to install and with the Rubber rail covers from Cav-Arms and Magpul you can have a nice grip and the unit is well ventilated.  With the MRF all you have to do is dremel off the delta ring then pull off the spring & clip with a pair of pliers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top