Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2004 9:11:40 AM EDT
Hi, ive been reading up for about a week or so and ive been thinking about getting into firearms as a hobby/sport/protection.

Only expirience that ive had with them is with a remington over-under shotty shooting skeet.

I've been lookin to get an AR-15 since the ban is over and i can get some extra add-ons as well.

I've narrowed down what i want to probably an AR-14 from Bushmaster, probably one of thier carbines.  I know there are a bunch of threads about which to choose etc, etc but i was wondering if i could get some more tips such as :
-cheap/reliable distributors who sell them under $1000.
-more technical introductory info on rifles in general.  For example i know that the AR-15 shoots .223 cal. but what does that mean exactly?  What is the "grain" of a round?
-Also since i am 20 yrs old, im under the assumption that i can legally own an AR-15.  Do i have to take some sort of classes or certifications of some sort?  (im in Maryland to be specific)

So basically i want to get a solid beginners rifle that i will have fun with and hopefully later on i can modify it or maybe build my own.  Appreciate your insight and collective knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]

cheap/reliable distributors who sell them under $1000.
-more technical introductory info on rifles in general. For example i know that the AR-15 shoots .223 cal. but what does that mean exactly? What is the "grain" of a round?

I've had good luck with these guys:

AIM Surplus

All your .223/5.56 questions answered for free:

Ammo Oracle

A grain is 1/7000th of a pound. More grains = heavier bullet.

Don't know about the MAryland laws. Try this:

NRA MD Gun laws
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd recommend stopping by your local library or hitting amazon.com and grabbing some books on AR-15s specifically, and firearms in general before you make a decision. Do some reading and thinking about what use you'll have for whatever firearm you buy, how to operate it and keep it your home safely, etc.

Besides learning a lot, it's a fun subject to read up on.

One title I'd recommend starting with (I'm sure others will have even better suggestions):
AR-15/M16: A Practical Guide
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#3]
yea, thats what im tryin to do now.  Get as much info on it to make an informed decision.  Kind of a new thing to get involved in.  I was occupied with cars and now that ive gotten my 400hp and everything i want done, need somethin new to inker with to apease my testosterone driven tendencies hehe.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]
welcome to the site, MordecaiPSI !

do yourself a favor a read as  much on the subject as possible before you make your mind up on it.

Plus, I will give you a group to contact, or at least look in on (Internet wise) who are widely regarded as the foremost user group (other than this one, of course) and is your neighborhood

Great site, great guys/gals, and can provide all you want on the AR subject- that you don't find here.

Enjoy!

Maryland AR Shooters Site
and
Plus your HOMETOWN AR15.com forum
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Great.  THanks a lot everyone for the info.  I think i will try to find a range that rents out AR's first, have a go at it see how much i like it, then go from there.  IN the mean time i will continue to research.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Better yet, meet up with people who own and know ARs so you can shoot theirs and let them show you some things.  That way you save the cost of rentals (assuming you can find any) and will make some fast friends.  Get to that Hometown link and start posting!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top