BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:01:59 PM EDT
What triggers are best for target work?

Which are most reliable?

What's the deal witht he Chip McCormak drop in trigger assembly?

Also, I am considering the installation of a lightweight hammer.  What affect does this have on accuracy?  Why would it be better than the standard hammer?

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, now first understand that I have neither a 2 stage trigger nor a light wieght hammer. However I believe I can answer your questions to a point. From what I understand Rock River arms make a 2 stage drop in target trigger group that is very good for around $99.00 . My Bushmaster varmit has a fairly heavy trigger pull and I'm thinking of getting one of these and putting it in. As far as reliability I'm not sure however I can say that Rock River arms being considered one of the best manufacturers of ARs (included by Gun Tests magazine) thier trigger would probably have no problems with reliability. They as will all manufactureres make a good product so they don't go out of business. In what way do you want to know what the deal is with Chip McCormick Trigger assemblys? And lastly , a light wieght hammer cuts down on "Lock time". The time it takes for the hammer to hit the firing pin and therefore the primer igniting the powder and firing the gun. What this does is the time lessened between your finger pulling the trigger and the bullet leaving the barrell . Your body can shift the gun just enough to throw your shot even though you may not notice it. A lighter trigger pull and less "Lock time" will help you shoot more accuratley in most cases. I'm now spoiled on light trigger pulls. All of my precision guns have adjusted triggers down to the minimum safe wieght. Except for the Bushmaster as I've said. It will be adjusted eventually though. Hope this helps some . Take care.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in lock time unless you're about to engage in serious competition target shooting, where the number of Xs determine who wins.  For 99% of shooters lock-time is theory, not something that really affects our accuracy; we screw up much worse by poor breath control, consuming caffeine, smoking, etc. ..

I don't own any nice triggers (though I just ordered a JP Enterprises trigger set, so I'm about to start!) so I can't comment on the rest, bro.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my KAC 2 stage trigger and connsider it the simplest install and best blend of 2 stage trigger pull vs reliability.  If youd like to try mine on your upper Id be more than happy to let you... though I thought you tried it once on that SPR upper.  Perhaps you didnt and I am confusing you with someone else.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I love my KAC 2 stage trigger and connsider it the simplest install and best blend of 2 stage trigger pull vs reliability.  If youd like to try mine on your upper Id be more than happy to let you... though I thought you tried it once on that SPR upper.  Perhaps you didnt and I am confusing you with someone else.

I think that was someone else.  I have seen you rifle and it was nice.  

Anyway, I am going to buy and install something, just don't know which one yet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How have you been?  Its been awhile since I have seen you around.

Are you going to be able to make this Tuesday Night meeting at the Front Porch?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I will check the hometown forum for time to meet and bring my lower so you can dry fire the trigger and then I can have a beer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top