Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 9:21:00 AM EDT
Hey everyone...  I'm new to the forum (being registered at least), but I've read for a long time.  I spent a few hours the other day digging through the archives looking for a discussion on the DCM / CMP versions from all the major manufacturers, but found nothing.  Does anyone on here have any first hand experience with these?  

The brands I'm looking at are RRA, Bushy, Armalite, and Olympic.  I know that the "who's betta" fight could go on forever, but I'm interested in real-life experience with the National Match models only.  Thanks to whomever can help me!  I'm pretty sure they won't let me shoot with my bushy M4!

Second, can anyone ID a knife for me?  It's a folding knife featured in the "centerfold" of the November issue of Guns magazine, photo'd along side the Taurus 24/7.  The knife that's closed is the Spyderco Karambit, but the black  knife that's open isn't identified, and I don't recognize the logo.  Either way, I want one!  Help!!!

Thanks y'all!!

-Andy

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Best DCM legal (ODCMP nowadays) rifle out of the box I would say Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt for mainstream manufacturers and Compass Lake Engineering for customs.  I had an Armalite CMP/DCM model for a while and it was a tack driver. I traded it with an AK and S&W pistol for my preban AR carbine during the ban, but it was a very accurate rifle.

Can't help you with the knife
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]
RRA or Armalite. They are the two TOP rifles in this leauge. Both can get your your high master score card, and could very well lead you to your distinguished rating, although by then you might want a Compass Lake rifle, or even one tuned up by John Holliger ( spelling? ).
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!  thanks for the quick replies.  I was leaning toward the RRA or the Armalite... now to make the decision between the two.  No doubt both rifles will be able to shoot better than I can shoot them.  =S

Now.. this knife... it's driving me crazy.. I can't find it anywhere.

I scanned it in... maybe this will help.  

http://www.poopworld.net/~ictusbrass/Graphics/unknownknife.jpg
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I spent a few hours the other day digging through the archives looking for a discussion on the DCM / CMP versions from all the major manufacturers, but found nothing.

There is a reason for this.  If you thinking about purchasing a dedicated CMP rifle, you can do much better by going to one of the big name gunsmiths and having one of them build one for you.  Check them out.  It's NOT as expensive as you might think.

However, there is a blunt question you must ask yourself:  Will all of those bells and whistles benefit you?  If they can, go for it, but what's the point of getting a $450 Kreiger barrel if you burn up half of it's life making 'Expert'?  New shooters are often served well enough with an of-the-shelf rifle with basic service rifle modifications done to it.  This especially applies if you already have a rifle that you're willing to dedicate to CMP shooting.  Such a rifle should be able to take you to Expert at least, maybe even higher if the gods smile on your barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out John's uppers at : http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the web links.

Yes, my plan was to buy a factory made national match rifle, shoot the crap out of it, and if necessary, upgrade as I go.  =)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
RRA NM is the win.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have helped coached the NC jr's for the last 10 years and shoot around 3500rounds a year and I think for the money Rock River is the best .
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes, my plan was to buy a factory made national match rifle, shoot the crap out of it, and if necessary, upgrade as I go.  =)

OK, since you want go ahead and shell out for a NM rifle up front then I'd go with a standard grade White Oak upper on a lower of your choice but with John Holliger's modified RRA trigger.  A combination like that could win the President's 100 and still be less than what a factory built NM rifle would go for.

My 2 cents FWIW...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Knife is a Warren Thomas custom "Rhino".
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, since you want go ahead and shell out for a NM rifle up front then I'd go with a standard grade White Oak upper on a lower of your choice but with John Holliger's modified RRA trigger.  A combination like that could win the President's 100 and still be less than what a factory built NM rifle would go for.

My 2 cents FWIW...

you can definately get a RRA NM complete rifle for cheaper than a WOA upper and RRA NM lower.  It's close, but shipping would push you over the edge.

And if you're getting work done at White Oak, you might as well get the sights pinned and weights installed; that would put you 175 or so over a stock RRA NM, but everything except the barrel would be PERFECT.  although, the stock WOA barrel is excellent, and a bit better than the stock RRA NM SS barrel.  They're both wilson I believe, but the WOA is cut by Frank White at Compass Lake.  The crown on the WOA barrel is beautiful.

Either way would be good though.  I went ahead and got an upper from WOA with some extras by Mr. Holliger, and a RRA NM lower from ADCO.  My brother purchased a complete RRA NM rifle that is still stock except for a weight in the buttstock.  I've been shooting longer than my brother, but he's probably going to get master by the end of the season.  The complete RRA NM can take you pretty far.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Most excellent.

thanks for the many  good inputs, and thanks for sharing your experiences.  

It seems RRA has shot up in popularit y in the past year or two... or maybe I've just become more aware of it.  I'm leaning more toward the RRA than the Armalite, and I'll look into the custom work as well--might have to sell a toy to get a toy.

Final thoughts on a factory NM...  flash hider or no??

http://www.poopworld.net/~ictusbrass/Graphics/uglylol.gif
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Most excellent.

thanks for the many  good inputs, and thanks for sharing your experiences.  

It seems RRA has shot up in popularit y in the past year or two... or maybe I've just become more aware of it.  I'm leaning more toward the RRA than the Armalite, and I'll look into the custom work as well--might have to sell a toy to get a toy.

Final thoughts on a factory NM...  flash hider or no??

www.poopworld.net/~ictusbrass/Graphics/uglylol.gif

Rock River wins the stock, factory NM race hands down.  I'm another satisfied customer here.  The rifle isn't holding me back from making Master.

As to the flash hider, all I know is that as long as it is installed hand tight with loctice (red?) it won't add any stress to the barrel.  It's just for looks, anyway, on a NM rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top