Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:12:40 AM EDT
I picked up some 5.56 blanks at the gun show yesterday, 25 for $1.00.  My rifle doesn't have an evil flash hider yet, so I can't put the muzzle device (which cost $2.00) to allow it to cycle properly.  My queston is, if I fire them and manually cycle the rifle, will it gunk up the gas tube, etc?  Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never fired blanks personally, but have heard that they are VERY dirty.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've never fired blanks personally, but have heard that they are VERY dirty.

Would make sense, because the ends are just closed off of the case to hold the powder in. You need a bullet or something so that all of the powder granules can burn.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate blanks, they just foul up the gun.  Much much dirtier then live rounds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, 1 blank will leave more unburned powder and residue than a range session.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, 1 blank will leave more unburned powder and residue than a range session.

Yipper, in the USMC, they tried to make us shoot all of our blanks and then we had to clean our M16s, it suxd they are very dirty. I personally wouldnt shoot them, also becarefull stuff does fly out of the end of the barrel, dont be CQB with your buddies jus because you have blanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Blanks suck.  I've had to fire plenty of them...  Often they don't tend to cycle well even with a blank adapter.

No, they aren't going to harm your gas tube.  The gas tube will be flushed out as soon as you fire real ammunition afterwards...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Be absolutely sure of what kind of balnks you have.  You do not want to fire a rifle grenade blank with the blank firing adapter on.  The resilts would be very bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Be absolutely sure of what kind of balnks you have.  You do not want to fire a rifle grenade blank with the blank firing adapter on.  The resilts would be very bad.

Mine have black paint on the crimp and are marked LC 02 and a + in a circle. (I think thats a NATO stamp, correct?)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 dirty.

I threw more blanks in mud puddles than I ever fired.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top