Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2004 6:21:17 PM EDT
I bought a Bushmaster that had been stamped "le only" on the lower receiver.  It has the 14.5" heavy upper receiver, and am wondering what I should add to it first.  It already has all the evil features of the pre-bans...

Any suggestions?

edit

(visualize a large serving of crow) My newest black rifle is 16" instead of the 14.5 that I errantly ) stated above.  Thanks to my brothers in arms for helping keep me on the straight and narrow and giving me some free education.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You've got a permanent muzzle device, right? Nnext thing is optics.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats, First I have to ask does it also have a perm. attached phantom flash hider? Im guessin it does but like I said, I had to ask.
Buy some USGI mags and a buttload of ammo, then shoot the crap outta it!

Learn your rifle first then add bling.  Its the difference between a Rifleman and a man with a rifle.................Udog
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,
It has the bird cage surpressor.
and I have LOTS of magazineshave
Any particular optics?  I never added anything to my other AR and I want to do this one right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm...SBR?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
trijicon ta01.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Take the upper off of the lower right now and send it to ADCO on Monday morning for a permanent flash suppressor. Its not worth ten years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, OK, I can shoot, but I am not that great with the vernacular...   SBR?

Combat_Jack, I bought this thing new off the shelf from a legit dealer... are you saying that now I bought something that is in violation of the law?haven
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK, OK, I can shoot, but I am not that great with the vernacular...   SBR?

Combat_Jack, I bought this thing new off the shelf from a legit dealer... are you saying that now I bought something that is in violation of the law?

Sorry to be so underinformed, i just haven't been keeping up with all the nuances of the law, but I figured if I could buy it, there would be nothing wrong with owning it

SBR = Short Barreled Rifle.

An A1 / A2 birdcage flash suppressor doesn't bring a 14.5" barrel out to a legal 16" like a permanent phantom or vortex flash suppressor will.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
'SBR' stands for Short Barreled Rifle. Any rifle in the US that has a barrel less than 16" is considered an SBR and must be registered as such.

The reason people are assuming you have an SBR is because you said the rifle has a 14.5" barrel and a birdcage flash supressor. 'Birdcage' is the common term for an 'A2' type flash supressor.

Here is the problem. an A2 flash supressor on a 14.5" barrel is less than 16" and if your rifle isn't registered as an SBR, you are in violation of the law.

If you permanently attach a phantom flash supressor on a 14.5" barrel you have a barrel > 16". So the question is: Do you have an A2 flash supressor or a phantom type?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]
What were saying is that a TRUE 14.5" rifle is a Short Barreled Rifle acording to the good people at the BATFE.
A SBR requires a Tax Stamp for it to be legal for us peons.
A A2 "birdcage" even if perm. attached will not bring a 14.5" barrel out to the legal 16" limit.
If you got this from a dealer odds are its a 16" rifle
This is a 14.5" SBR

ETA:Damn Im slow
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
You probably know the difference, but just to help clear some confusion you may have, if you have any.

A2 birdcage

Phantom
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
UH OHhock.gif

I'll have to go measure it when I get home...  It would really chap me to buy something that I can't own... is it that big of a deal to register a short barrelled rifle?

Thanks for all the help...maybe it needs to go backCould be that I assumed it was the 14.5" barrel(I didn't measure it), and yes, it is the real bird cage surpressor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't necessarily have to take it back.  Just take the upper off, send it to ADCO as suggested earlier to have them permanently attach a phantom, and you're straight.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't believe that there are this many people up at this late hour talking about guns...  I am at work manning the phone which has been strangely quiet for a long time.  I know the dealer pretty well, and I am sure he wouldn't sell me something that would get me into troubleh
Beyond the SBR issue and back to the question...  What improvement should I do first (besides buy a tape measure)?  

Thanks again for all the responses.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can't believe that there are this many people up at this late hour talking about guns...  I am at work manning the phone which has been strangely quiet for a long time.  I know the dealer pretty well, and I am sure he wouldn't sell me something that would get me into trouble  I probably goofed up with the 14.5" thing.  It is most likely 16", so I might edit my original post....but hey, this is educational!

Beyond the SBR issue and back to the question...  What improvement should I do first (besides buy a tape measure)?  

Thanks again for all the responses.

haha, I usually don't go to sleep until around 5am.  But I'm in the same boat as you.  I have two rifles, plain as hell.  Both lightweights, with telestocks.  One is an A1 upper, one is an A3 upper.  I don't know what I should do first.  I do have a compact scope for one of them though.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
IMO....

1. Optics (Eotech or ACOG are my choices)
2. Backup Iron Sight (BUIS)
3. Aftermarket pistol grip (Tango down battle grip or First Samco)
4. Replace the handguards. On a carbine I wouldn't worry about getting free float ones. The Yankee hill replacements are awesome and won't break the bank.
5. Vertical grip (tango down)
6.  Tactical light

Those aren't necessarily in order, although I would add optics first.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
AMMO!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I would go in this order:

Optics
back up iron sights
sling/mags
stock--if you want a different one
Railed forend

We're glad to explain the laws to you, rather than have the ATF explain them

If its 16, dont worry about a muzzle device for now, you can always add that later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I went mountain biking this morning after work and kept getting followed by the men in black...got home and the black helos were circling the house...man, I really was getting nervous.  Went in and measured my black rifle and found it to be the 16" variety.  Then the men in black went away and the helos disappeared.  Who'd "a thunk" people would get so torqued up over an inch and a half...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 Who'd "a thunk" people would get so torqued up over an inch and a half...

A pin and a tack weld is the difference between "no big deal" and ten years in Federal pound me in the ass prison. Doesnt make much sense does it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Send the upper to ADCO and have the HBAR turned down to military profile to get rid of all that useless weight.

Next get ammo and mags and practice.

THEN get a flashlight.

THEN get an optic.

THEN get training.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top