Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 7:55:50 AM EDT
Okay... AWB is gone, I have cash, and I want a threaded muzzle.  I have a number of friends in the machine-tooling industry and they could do it FOR SURE, but I need to be able to tell them exactly how to do it if i decide to go that route. So... if anyone can answer any of these questions, please do so.  Thanks, in advance.

1) What method should my buddies use?  Lathe?  A normal tap?  I don't know much about this...

2) What thread measurement is standard for an AR's muzzle?

3) How is the metal finished where the muzzle is threaded?  Blued or what?

4) If I decide not to have this done by a friend, who should I send it to and how much money am I looking at?

5) If there is anything else you think I should know, or if I have said something incredibly stupid , please tell me.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it to ADCO, they do this every day all day long. I think it costs $60.00 something dollars just for the threading and cutting. Check there shop services pricing on their web site though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is a post ban you have to turn the end down on a lathe from .750" to .500" the standard  size and thread is .500" dia. x 28 threads per inch, I left my threads bare and did not blue them. A local gunsmith or machine shop should be able to complete it rather quickly, and it should not cost any more than 40 to 50 bucks including tear down and reassy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't expect the local gunsmith, and especially the local machine shop to have the proper tools to tear down an AR upper.  Unless they show you the proper tools needed, I would not let them touch your complete upper.

Any machinist worth his weight should be able to thread your barrel to 1/2X28TPI.  That's a high school machine shop exercise, for goodness sake.

ADCO seems to be the best place anywhere to send your upper for work like this.  I would not hesitate to send it there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, you guys are fast nowadays.  It haven't been on arfcom in a long while, thanks for the quick responses.

The only reason I am even considering allowing a friend to do this is to cut down the cost.  He'd do it free.  If I need gun parts I go to him.

Since it is only 60 bucks or so I'll probably go ahead and send it to ADCO.  I figure a mistake could cost me WAAAAAY more in the long run.

As for what I may put on the threads... Vortex.  I've never heard a bad thing about them.  If you have, let me know.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top