Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 6:43:16 PM EDT
What the heck is this? I was looking at their website under the serial number page doing some research for a lower buy when I saw this written beside a specific serial number. This number was all made in 1991 but theres also a note right below the one on the copper saying how these were made for C.I.A and are post ban. I'm a little confused. Can anyone shed some light??
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Century International Arms, not Central Intellegence Agency.

Berillium Copper is a severe carcinogen when it's dust is airbore, never cut or grind on it.

Okay, but how strong is it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Pay attention to that last statement....that is some really bad sh*t...There is no way to safely clean it....I know because I dealy with it for 20+ years.

It is no stronger than a standard lower...the deal with Berillium is that it is not sparking. It is the stuff tools for working in explosive areas are made from.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Isn't Beryllium very hard to the point of being brittle? So it is commonly Alloyed with Copper to make it machinable/ less brittle?

I have used Beryllium Drills in the past never knew about the dangers......
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My understanding is that OLY made some beryillum copper recievers for the Bill of Right commenrative guns.

Due to the properties of the recievers................ they will replace them with conventional recievers no questions asked (free?)

Probably would make a neat loking display gun, but not a good idea to shoot with.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember a few years ago reading about a Russian bicycle company that made a mountain bike with a beryllium frame. It was amazingly light and strong, but they scrapped it because of the severe health risk if the frame ever fractured or cracks and Beryllium molecules came in contact with the rider's skin or lungs.

Somehow it is not surprising that Century Arms would request a receiver made of a toxic metal. About on a Par with many of their substandard products.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe it was Olympic that made a run of these. Like others said, the dust is bad juju if it gets in your system. MRI service engineers used to use tools made out of berrylium because of its non-ferromagnetic properties, but these were canned once the health risks were discovered. I've got a pile of Be screwdrivers sitting in the back of the lab for posterity's sake. Like others have said above, good piece to keep for the novelty factor, but not something I would take out and use as a shooter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Where I work we use Beryillum copper spotwelding tips.............I hate working with them because of the dangers of Beryillum.
It is also very expensive compaired to other alloys being almost 3 times as much as other copper alloys
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Berillium Copper is a severe carcinogen when it's dust is airbore, never cut or grind on it.

No wonder you never see golf clubs (irons) made of Berillium Copper anymore...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone have a photo so we know what they look like?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top