Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 2:56:19 PM EDT
Is has been established that a 14.5 " barrel and a welded Phantom FS is legal length.

Is a permanently attached Vortex FS on a 14.5" tube of legal length?

I am thinking that If I were to permanently attach my FS I just as well be the best.

I keep hearing the Vortex is the best.  

Will the Vortex accomodate a bayonet as the phantom will on a 14.5" tube.

Thanks!
'mule
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
While I like the Vortex I have seen several of different vintages blossom and break. I would not permanently attach one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
They have a new closed bottom Phantom which wont throw up dust in the prone.  Id use that.

The Vortex will make 16" and is even more effective at flash suppression.  I dont like it throwing up dust, having exposed tines or making that tuning fork sound after every shot.

I put on a Bilock so I can use the Gemtech sound suppressor.  Its the best flash hider you can get(with suppressor attached).  Also the flash hider is closed bottom on the Bilock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The Vortex problem was resolved years ago. New ones are EXTREMELY tough. I prefer the 5C1 Phantom though, because of the smooth end and closed bottom, which doesn't kick up dust. The 5C1 and 5C2 Phantoms are said to be as good as the Vortex at reducing flash, but I haven't checked yet. Yes, they will all accomodate a bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Phantom (s)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Phantom is what I used
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Vortex here.  

Looks mean, functions great, and sounds really neat everytime the rifle fires.  Think "tuning fork from hell".
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Switched from Mini-Y to a closed bottom Phantom and love it!  To be fair, I haven`t seen a Vortex in action but can`t be allot of difference.  Both get great references, matter of personal preference.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking about getting a vortex for a 14.5" barrel.  What is the best way to permanently attach it?  Is it easy to do or should I have someone do it?  If someone else who do you recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the Phantom 5C2 myself but the Vortex will get you there also. My Phantom does an awesome job at reduicing flash.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Vortex is suppose to work better but I like the looks of the Phantom.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was thinking about getting a vortex for a 14.5" barrel.  What is the best way to permanently attach it?  Is it easy to do or should I have someone do it?  If someone else who do you recommend?

Thanks

legally, you can screw it on then silver solder it in place, but a pro install might look purdier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I silver soldered mine on, and the only thing that looks different, is the crush washer is lighter than before. I put some clp on it and it darkened up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top