Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 10:48:31 PM EDT
Want to put a flash hider on my naked M4 profile bushy barrell.  What do I need as far as tools and such?  Does the flash hider just thread on?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need a lathe to turn down the end of the barrel be fore you can thread it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I took a pre-ban that didn't have a FH to a local dealer and had him do it. I provided the crush washer and FH. He put it on for me and I picked it up the next day. It looks like it's always been there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe it will have to be pinned on if the barrel is less than 16 inches without it, right? That would require a gunsmith.  I also wish to do this, my barrel will definitely have to be machined down its way to thick.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I sent mine to ADCO.  I was thinking of doing it myself at first but my barrel have to be machined down because its way to thick and I don't have a lathe. Cost me $64.00 with the A2 FH installed and got my upper back in a week and a half door to door.  ADCO did a great job.

556man
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe it will have to be pinned on if the barrel is less than 16 inches without it, right? That would require a gunsmith.  I also wish to do this, my barrel will definitely have to be machined down its way to thick.

It has to be permanently attached according to BATF regulations. One way, as you mentioned, is to pin the flash hider on, and weld over the pins so they cannot be removed. The other way is to use silver solder on the threads, apply heat to get the solder to flow, and you are done. Loctite is NOT acceptable if anyone is wondering.

Directions for soldering on your flash hider can be found here: http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/howtoattachamuzzlebrake.msnw
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I removed 7 barrells, removed the front sight, ring and nut and went to a local machine shop.  Talked to the lathe operator, met him at the end of the day and he turned them down and threaded them in about 1/2 hour while I watched.  Cost me a 12 back of Budweiser.....

The computer controlled machines are fun to watch, but for this lathe the barrel feeds in through the chuck (kinda like a collet chuck) thus I need to remove the front sights...

-Dan

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top