Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 10:00:57 PM EDT
I'm wanting to fill in the "fire" and "safe" on my Ar's but would like first to find out from ypu guys that have done this, the best and easiest way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm wanting to fill in the "fire" and "safe" on my Ar's but would like first to find out from ypu guys that have done this, the best and easiest way.

Thought I saw something like that in another thread recently, and tried to find it but couldn't. What I did do though, was save the website in my favorites. So here it is.

www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/whitelettering/whitelettering1.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I did mine as the link above specified and got this. It's still there and oil doesn't rub it off, though if you took a blade or other thin object I'm sure you could scratch it out:
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll never understand you guys who do this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There are a ton of products out there for the AR that have white lettering stenciled on them (KAC Tubes, LaRue products, LMT Uppers, etc). It fits with many other items on many ARs. Of course, it's a pure cosmetic thing. Don't have to do it if you don't like it. To each his own. I like mine the way it is now though. Along with all the wear and scratches, it gives it a little more character!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I was really bored, and wanted to see how it would look, but I still think that subtle is better.  The picture isn't super clear, but it gives the idea.  This was done with crayon.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I like it, when someone else is firing my rifle, especially a less experienced shooter, Its easier for me to show them how to place it on and off of safe. And I did the little white line on the selector so if I am standing on the ejection side of the AR while another person shoots I can clearly see whether its on safe or not.

I didn't do my logo, only fire and safe, and I did it with one of my sons crayons. Works fine so far. I only did it a couple of weeks ago though. Who knows how long it will last. I am pretty sure I can brush it out if I wanted.

I also put a touch of white out on my front sight, then write over it with a orange high lighter. Damn near all my firearms have a tiny bit of white out on the front sight. It helps ne since I am half blind already.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Crayola
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
images.snapfish.com/33%3B9842723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D8%3A8%3D94%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23236477%3B%3C275ot1lsi

Crayola

your fire looks like it could use a little more red.

Its arts and crafts time down at ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Man they look great I am going to try it out on my fal
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Crayola.

I color both my fire and safe white. People need to learn to read and be careful with guns.

I don't color anything else, since it seems too garish.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:29:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'll never understand people whose sole purpose in a thread is to crap on it. Did you believe, for one second, that your condemnation of colored in lettering was going to get through to someone - possibly make them take a good, long look in the mirror and realize they've been doing it all wrong??

If so, I'm your man. You've saved me from myself. Thank you, really. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got instructions on doing this with paint from Gunplumber, but it's achived somewhere on CD so I'll look for it tonight. Here's and example of what it ends up looking like:

Doesn't the crayola/china marker stuff melt? I know it's the receiver and not the barrel, but if you used this on an M1 like the link above shows, I would think it would melt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody once told me you can use a product called Porcafix for coloring in lettering and logos.  It's used to touch up chipped areas in porcelain sinks and tubs.  I don't know how you can remove it if it gets somewhere you don't want it to, but it's definately more durable and PERMANENT than crayon or china pencils.

It comes in a variety of colors although they don't have any regular red colors.  Another alternative is if you plan on getting your firearm refinished most refinishers will highlight the lettering and logos for little to no extra cost using your choice of colors.  You could try using KG gunkote to highlight your lettering also with a more permanent and professional look.  They make Gunkote in a lot of colors.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#14]

There was a thread in the last 3 weeks that was posted that went over it in great detail.

I cant find it but Alien and i both got our tips from there and had posted in it.

Basically the "China Marker" aka Grease Pencils are the way to go. tape over the extra areas, grease them in, CLP the areas where excess color is on the receiver.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I didn't either until i did the "fire" and "safe" on mine. it adds so much more to the rifle, just an extra touch. For my tastes doing the logo and SN is too much, the safe/fire is just enough.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's how I did mine.

Picked up some of that model paint in red and white and one of those tiny little 'hobby' brushes.

Thin the paint down with a little thinner and wipe down the areas that you want lettered with iso alcohol.

Take the brush and get a tiny amount of the thinned paint on it and touch it into the letter and the paint will flow and fill the letter. Might take a dip or two to get the paint to fill it in enough to look good, but the paint really sticks and looks great.

I'll post pics of how it turned out sometime this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#17]
To murduk thats the way I did mine.To the guy who cant understand why we do it its because if you look at M16s at least earlier ones the lettering and sometimes the eagle proof mark are in white.Alot of military type weapons have the lettering in white.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Brownells has white lacquer sticks. Haven't tried it on the ARs but looks nice on the Garands.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah .... the ricers of the AR world rejoyce!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

lol

You have to admit there is a strong simularity between this "customization" and what the ricers do to their civics, acura's and so forth. Lots of decals, wings, coffee-can mufflers and paint (or in this case crayon) serving no real purpose. But I have to admit it does look good on the Fire/Safe. Not going on my toys but to each his own. Nice work guys.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I just colored in the letters on my XD mags, and I must say this is really cool.  I'm not quite brave enough to color them in on my AR yet though.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And I guess every manufacturer that stencils on white lettering promotes "ricing" as you put it. Everybody that owns a Knight's, LaRue, or Daniel Defence forearm or any other number of parts on their rifle should feel pathetic. I suppose painting your rifle a camo color makes you a ricer too since 99% of the people out there will probably never "benefit" from having their rifle camo'd. Then there's all of the other different colors you can get for parts...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done the sight numbering and the SAFE and FIRE lettering in all the AK's I've built and refinished.  I've used the laquer sticks that can be obtained at numerous different places about the internet.  The place I bought mine from is www.micro-tools.com, they've got them in several different colors, including black, yellow, red, white, gold and silver.  They cost about 4 bucks apiece.  It's easy to do, rub it in the lettereing and wipe off the excess.

I haven't done my AR yet, but I'm thinking about it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1  I guess it's for that flashy "bling" bling" thing?  

Me personally, I don't want any red or white or pink or whatever crap sticking out like a sore thumb on my flat black rifle or camo rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
The disclaimer on that site is funny. Seems as if someone is a little paranoid. But then again with all the sue happy people out there i guess you cant be too careful.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#26]
The safe and fire looks kind of cool, kind of H&K. I think the rest in white is too much in my opinion, but whatever you like.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#27]
What does HK use in real life on the MP5's and G3's?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Thats pretty cool. I might do that to mine. I tried it before with white out. worked ok on my Glock36.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  I guess it's for that flashy "bling" bling" thing?  

Me personally, I don't want any red or white or pink or whatever crap sticking out like a sore thumb on my flat black rifle or camo rifle.

Don't buy a LMT upper because apparently it's just for posers and ricers?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I used orange and white fingernail polish for the safe/fire, and white crayola for the T-markings.  Got some nice compliments on the rifle at the last Market Hall funshow.

Tex78
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top