Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 8:32:49 PM EDT
Hey Folks:

I have some questions for all of you Bushy experts out there. The questions are below.
Looking for some opinions.

1. What makes Bushmaster rifles and carbines better than ther other makers?
2. Does Bushy use all military specs parts in their products?
3. How does Bushy rank with other makers, RRA, Colt, etc.
4. Has anyone recieved their no ban configured rifles and carbines from Bushmaster and what do you think?
5. How about the Bushy 20 and 30 round mags. Do these function properly?

Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
their chambers are for 5.56; no questions or doubts there
yes(not sure on the varmiter bbls)
just a tad better than rra(my opinion)--colt sucks
not yet; got a banned one--it runs excellent
they function well, but i suggest you look around for other, cheaper usgi mags--cathcht he deals

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
they function well, but i suggest you look around for other, cheaper usgi mags--cathcht he deals

I am a little suspect with Bushmaster, one of my bushies would not lock back on the last round (intermittently) I took it to the smith, he whips out a micrometer and says the mag well was larger than usual, it shoots fine, but the guys shows me about 4 colts every one on the micrometer has the same measurements on the mag well, the smith told me to find larger mags and mark them and use them for the suspect bushie....Would I buy Bush again, in a heartbeat....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
your gun broker might just be pushing colt, since they cost more

BUSHMASTER all the way
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt
LMT
Bushmaster

In that order.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I owned an Eagle Arms (Armalite offset), then my bushmaster...
Bushmaster Rocks, Colt Rules....

Never had a problem w/ the bushmaster after 3,000 rounds now...EArms was upsetting the first day out.
RRA i am not very fond of...i consider it lower end w/ model 1 sales, M-Aparts,  and others..

My buddy just got a new bushmaster (sunset), it kicks ass...the new 30 round mags feel as cheap as the 10$ mags you can find at local gunshows...but it worked a hell of a lot better...just feels cheap but they have a snake on the bottom
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How can Bushmaster use mi-spec parts if NOT ALL their barrels, bolts and barrel carriers are not through MP (magnetized particle) testing? A rep. from Bushmaster even posted that here on ARFCOM. Colt and FN MP every single one those parts for their weapons.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I owned an Eagle Arms (Armalite offset), then my bushmaster...
Bushmaster Rocks, Colt Rules....

Never had a problem w/ the bushmaster after 3,000 rounds now...EArms was upsetting the first day out.
RRA i am not very fond of...i consider it lower end w/ model 1 sales, M-Aparts,  and others..

My buddy just got a new bushmaster (sunset), it kicks ass...the new 30 round mags feel as cheap as the 10$ mags you can find at local gunshows...but it worked a hell of a lot better...just feels cheap but they have a snake on the bottom

That statement makes you a bit suspect to me... RRA has infltrated the AR15 world so heavily now, they are a standard of sorts.  No one says you have to like the company or the product, but it is awfully rare to find messages from people griping about RRA quality. And when RRA is supposed to be the #1 represented rifle at Camp Perry, that seems awfully hard to believe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Bushmaster does MP inspect barrels as they are so marked BMP1/9NATO and they say their bolts and carriers are too just not marked.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It may be marked MP on each and every barrel but they DO NOT MP each and every barrel. They test a sample out of each lot. This was from a previous thread by a rep from Bushmaster.

thanks
Ron
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It may be marked MP on each and every barrel but they DO NOT MP each and every barrel. They test a sample out of each lot. This was from a previous thread by a rep from Bushmaster.

thanks
Ron

This is true. LMT MP inspects all barrels though, I don't know about bolts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Bushy, RRA, those are the two I like most. Best quality for the price. Screw Colt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Bushmaster is best............
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Just because all the Bushy owners out there like to chant "Bushmaster is the best" does not necessarily make it so. Bushmaster have had more than their fair share of significant quality problems. They are also a bit "economical with the truth" when it comes to the whole "milspec" thing.

I rate Bushmaster no better than the rest of the pack, and IMHO its not worth paying "over the odds" just to have their snake on the side of your mag well. Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread is silly. Everyone knows that Hesse makes the best AR's. Jeeesh.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#15]

They have chrome lined, lightweight barrels, forged receivers and sights, "standard" internals, good QC on heat treat on bolts/carriers with chrome lined carriers. Generally speaking, Bushmaster makes the closest rifle to an M16 out there.

Sorta. They use the right steel, they heat treat everything correctly, but they don't magnaflux their bolts. And, of course, they are AR15 semiauto parts and there is no military spec for those.

In fit and finish, I'd rank them:
1. Armalite
2. Colt
3. Bushmaster
4. RRA

In most like a "military rifle" (proper weights/part manufacture/tolerences):
1. Bushmaster
2. RRA
3. Tie: Armalite Colt

4. Has anyone recieved their no ban configured rifles and carbines from Bushmaster and what do you think?

Nope. I converted my preban to an M4.

I don't know why they wouldn't, but I buy USGI becuase they do and they are cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Edited to add:  I was unaware that Colt stopped chrome lining civilian barrels when I posted.  Bushmaster really would have the edge in such a category.

How can Bushmaster, or any other manufacturer for that matter, rank higher in the "Most Like A Military Rifle" category than Colt?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing Colt and just bought Bushy.  When the Armed Forces always have, and are currently using Colt I'd say that makes Colt the closest thing to military specs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How can Bushmaster, or any other manufacturer for that matter, rank higher in the "Most Like A Military Rifle" category than Colt?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing Colt and just bought Bushy.  When the Armed Forces always have, and are currently using Colt I'd say that makes Colt the closest thing to military specs.

Colt doesn't chrome line the barrels on their civilian rifles, and doesn't sell bayonet lugs or flash hiders to us lowly civilians. If you're buying a Colt M16A2 or a Colt M4A1, it's definately "Most Like A Military Rifle", but most of us can't legally do that. When it comes to selling military style rifles to civilians, Bushmaster will come a lot closer than Colt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#18]

1. Bushmaster has 4150 barrels, though not magnafluxed and proof tested like Colt (and LMT?).
2. No. No AR-15 manufacturer does, not even Colt.
3. Honestly, I have a Bushmaster and I love it, but Colts have a bit better QC. But all ARs (homebrew, Olympic, DPMS - all the way up to LMT and Colt) are essentially the same design, and they can all run fine. Quality control is the only (admittedly major) difference.
4. Nope. I've retrofitted my Superlight, though. here
Bottom line, if you want a Bushmaster, get it. They're good rifles at a good price. If you have any problems, call Bushmaster and they will make it right. I won't say they're the best AR, because they aren't, but mine runs perfectly and shoots accurately, so ... yeah .
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a little suspect with Bushmaster, one of my bushies would not lock back on the last round (intermittently) I took it to the smith, he whips out a micrometer and says the mag well was larger than usual, it shoots fine, but the guys shows me about 4 colts every one on the micrometer has the same measurements on the mag well, the smith told me to find larger mags and mark them and use them for the suspect bushie....Would I buy Bush again, in a heartbeat....

That is interesting about the mag well.  I purchased two Bushie lowers back in 2000.  One of them had a tight fit with any of the magazines I inserted into the mag well.  I contacted their tech support mailbox and they wrote back saying it was probably a thick finish and with use it would wear down.  I got sidetracked with other things and wound up putting the lowers in storage for four years.  Around the time the AWB was expiring I dug them out of storage and again investigated this odd lower.  I contacted their tech support mailbox again about the problem, attaching their four year old response, and was told that the earlier information was wrong.  The lower was out-of-spec and needed to be sent back.  I sent it back and they swapped it for one that works fine.  I guess they have an occassional problem with their QC though this particular lower should have been a no go from the start.  It may be a pain but at least they stand behind their product and are willing to take defective units back.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Good point Iram, but features was not listed in BB's criteria.  I didn't even look at any Colts but here in NY I can't get any of them with the goodies even if the manufacturers want to sell them to me.  I held one Colt A2 (no evil features) that had a scope on the carry handle just to see if I would find it uncomfortable and I know for a fact it had a chrome lined 1/7 barrel on it.  Not sure if it was swapped or special ordered though
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#21]
How do Bushys' rank? I'll give you my opinion. They make a good ar15. So does Armalite, Colt, and Rock River. I own an Armalite m15 and a Rock River Entry Tatical (no ban). What I love about mine is the LIFETIME WARRANTY. I'm a warranty whore! Armalite and RRA both have awesome Customer Service (shame on Colt). All things mechanical do break and I love to shoot.  Oh, and it took a week to get my no ban RR Entry. I also try to get most of my collection fromDavidsonsbecause of the no question asked lifetime warranty.

hock.gifI'm a dirty, dirty warranty whore!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#22]
their customer svc is outstanding.  i wish their quality control was as good.  how hard can it be to put a fsb on straight?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

thanks
Ron

if you read further you would have noticed they are using a new technique that checks the parts more thoroughly than MP alone. Get with the program and dont leave out the "rest of the story"
BM wa honest enough to let us know what was asked and i respect the honesty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I based it on the components being as close to milspec as you can. Colt rifles have different sized pins on the fire control parts then military (and any other AR), and the barrels (at least in the mact targets) have only chrome lined chambers, not bores. Also, the Colt MTs have plastic buffers I believe; not sure.

Heres a good article written by Forest.

Kinda big, here's part of it:

Feature Compliant Manufactures

Of all those features, only one manufacturer currently gives you all these features, two others come close. If you buy a rifle (or kit) from someone other than those listed you are taking some chances with reliable operation and long-term wear. The least ‘compliant’ of the Big Three manufactures surprisingly is Colt! Colt no longer chrome lines the bores of their rifle (gives a bit more accuracy), and their fire control pins are usually (90% of the time) non standard (limits parts availability). Lately they have also been a bit cheap on the trap door buttstock and buffer, but at least are now offering the rifle with two push pins to separate the receivers. Note that older rifles may have the chrome lined bores, and may not have the font take down pin. Colt usually has the best quality control (though they have been slipping a bit lately), but the worst customer service (good thing they usually make the rifles right the first time!). Colt is a good choice if you are looking for the most accuracy possible. The next manufacture to consider is Armalite, but only those rifles with the chrome-lined chambers & bores. Note I said Armalite, NOT Eagle Arms, while they come from the same factory the Armalites have the chrome lining in their barrels. Don’t let the clerk try to sell you the more accurate rifle with the stainless barrel - You want reliability over accuracy. The only point where the Armalites fall short is in the chamber. While Armalite has repeatedly promised, during the last 2 years, they were going to the M16 spec chamber in their chrome-lined barrels. Well recently they admitted it had not yet been done (but its coming soon…). Armalite is the only one of the ‘Big Three’ to not use the mil-spec 4150 steel in their barrels. The tougher steel is nice, but not critical in this rifle, as the chrome lining will help extend the wear. On the plus side they do have a lifetime warranty and better quality control than the last of the Big Three. The last of the Big Three is Bushmaster. Bushmaster is also the ONLY one to offer all of the desirable features, and is the closest to the rifles used by the US military. You want to select a model that has a chrome lined bore (this leaves out the DCM rifle and the new Varmint rifle). Bushmaster also offers several ‘lightweight’ barrel options for post ban rifles (16" M4 barrel {best}, the M4/AK barrel, and the M4 Dissapator [16" barrel with rifle sight radius]). They also offer all their HBARS in fluted form for a modest weight reduction. By the way in 1999 Bushmaster made more AR-15s for the commercial market than ALL the other manufacturers (in the US) combined. With such a large number of rifles produces sometimes little things get by. The biggest complaint is the barrel is improperly torqued, resulting in a rear sight that is all the way to one side when zeroing. I don’t worry about it, if you do then send it back. Bushmaster has great customer service and is quick about fixing any glitches or problems. Note even the Big Three occasionally turn out a lemon - it happens to the best of manufacturers. All of them will take the rifle back and get it fixed (though it may take a while with the Colt). Just be sure to maintain them properly and you should have minimal (near zero) problems.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Good quality barrels (4150 steel & chrome lined), good customer service, pretty good adherance to the the drawings.

No manufacturer uses all military spec parts in their products.

There is no military spec for AR-15 parts - and you can't legally use the M16 firecontrol parts. Also everyone's lowers has mods in them to prevent installation of the auto sear.

Also for telestocks - only Colt uses the proper mil-spec dimensioned tube.

In terms of production numbers for the commercial market - they often rank #1.  As far as quality of product (measured in realibility out of the box) most rank them #2 behind Colt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I think RR are just as good as Bushmaster. The price is cheaper.  That will be my next build. I think colts are sloppy.  Just my 2 cent.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#27]
BB - Yeah, Colt has been a little screwy with their civilian offerings.  Considering the whole barrel chroming issue alone I'd retract my statement.  The only one I saw recently, a civilian version, had a chrome lined 1/7 so I was unaware of the fact that they had stopped doing it on the civilian versions.  I wouldn't consider an unlined bore to be like a military rifle at all.  I've read so much lately about people getting pissed that Colt is not making bayo lugs an available option that I totally missed the chrome issue.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I have heard anectdotal stories on the 'net about problems with Bushmasters, but I have personally never seen one.  I worked at a gunshop for two years and sold 'em by the truckload and never had a single one come back.  That says alot more to me than somebody posting on the web.  I really don't give a shit about milspec and/or all this stupid contoversy over MP testing.  Talk about grasping at straws.  Yes, I agree that it's somewhat deceiptful to test a sampling but mark all the barrels, but since I've never seen a problem with one of hte barrels, what do I care how they test it?  To answer your specific questions:

For me it's price, features, and selection.  They offer more configurations (and will custom configure rifles and uppers for you) than any other manufacturer I know of.  They have barrels made of te best steel and they are chrome lined.  They have 5.56 chambers.  They also support the hell out of the civilian shooting market, unlike some other makers.  That goes a long way with me.

The short answer is no.  However that's a loaded question as neither do any of the other manufacturers.

In quality I think they are better than anyone else, and on par with Colt.  As a company I think they are head and shoulders above any other firearms company out there today.

I have not.  I "no-banned" my postban with an LMT upper and Magpul stock.

I don't know about the new ones, but I have one from around 1998 or so (they used to still ship their rifles with 30s they had left over after the ban) and it has always functioned just fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have heard anectdotal stories on the 'net about problems with Bushmasters, but I have personally never seen one.

an·ec·dot·al  Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis.

You're saying every Bushmaster owner who has reported an improperly staked gas carrier key or improperly torqued barrel - problems that were admitted by Bushmaster - as casual observations that didn't happen.  Hmm, so when I casually observed the carrier key coming loose on my Bushmaster's bolt, that really didn't happen.  Gotcha.

I worked at a gunshop for two years and sold 'em by the truckload and never had a single one come back.

No one says these problems warrant taking the rifle back, but they have had to be returned to Bushmaster for (excellent) warranty repair, which is completely different.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have heard anectdotal stories on the 'net about problems with Bushmasters, but I have personally never seen one.

an·ec·dot·al  Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis.

You're saying every Bushmaster owner who has reported an improperly staked gas carrier key or improperly torqued barrel - problems that were admitted by Bushmaster - as casual observations that didn't happen.  Hmm, so when I casually observed the carrier key coming loose on my Bushmaster's bolt, that really didn't happen.  Gotcha.

I worked at a gunshop for two years and sold 'em by the truckload and never had a single one come back.

No one says these problems warrant taking the rifle back, but they have had to be returned to Bushmaster for (excellent) warranty repair, which is completely different.

Don't get your panties in a wad, I'm not calling you a liar.  Quite frankly I couldn't care less if you're telling the truth or not.  I am more inclined to believe the things I see with my own eyes or experience firsthand.  I never saw a problem, and I never had a customer complain about a problem.  If you think that everyone that buys a product with a problem takes care of the problem themselves then you've obviously never worked in retail.

My point is that I don't think that it's nearly as widespread, especially at this time, as people make it out to be.  Your post is a rarity, as you generally hear from people that "know" all about Bushmaster's problems, but have never experienced or seen one firsthand.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for your ancedotal evidence.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I WOULD NOT SAY RRA IS A LOW END UNIT, AFTER ALL IT PASSED THE DEA TEST WITH FLYING COLORS, AND THEY ORDERED 5,000 RIFLES OVER A FIVE YEAR PERIOD IN DEC OF 2003.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get your panties in a wad, I'm not calling you a liar.  Quite frankly I couldn't care less if you're telling the truth or not.  I am more inclined to believe the things I see with my own eyes or experience firsthand.  I never saw a problem, and I never had a customer complain about a problem.  If you think that everyone that buys a product with a problem takes care of the problem themselves then you've obviously never worked in retail.

My point is that I don't think that it's nearly as widespread, especially at this time, as people make it out to be.  Your post is a rarity, as you generally hear from people that "know" all about Bushmaster's problems, but have never experienced or seen one firsthand.

FWIW, I have personally seen and/or experienced a loose carrier key, a burr on the feedramp causing feed failures, several cases of excessive windage, and magwells that were too tight.  Here is something I haven't seen before.  While I have seen many very good Bushy's locally, I have also seen more Bushy's with issues than any other brand.  The group I shoot with has a good mix of Bushmasters, RRA's, Colts, Armalites, Olympics, and frankenguns.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Back in July I started a thread soliciting actual reliability data on all the AR manufacturers. While the data set was not really big enough to draw a lot of conclusions about "which brand is best", one of the big surprises was the comparatively large number of people who had bought defective Bushmaster rifles. Out of the 79 rifles reported, 29 rifles (37%) were defective. This included one police department that received 11 out of 18 rifles with loose carrier keys. Other problems included over-torqued barrels, defective gas tubes, incorrect headspace and defective gas rings. Again, while not a large sample, this is HARD DATA.

Honestly, given the loyalty of many Bushmaster owners here, I was astounded by the survey respondents candor. Yes, in all these cases Bushy did "make it right" in the end, but I would hope a company with a name like "Quality Parts" would work harder to get it right first time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I WOULD NOT SAY RRA IS A LOW END UNIT, AFTER ALL IT PASSED THE DEA TEST WITH FLYING COLORS, AND THEY ORDERED 5,000 RIFLES OVER A FIVE YEAR PERIOD IN DEC OF 2003.

The biggest know against RR is they built uppers that were out-of-spec, denied it, then admitted it but refused to fix them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in July I started a thread soliciting actual reliability data on all the AR manufacturers. While the data set was not really big enough to draw a lot of conclusions about "which brand is best", one of the big surprises was the comparatively large number of people who had bought defective Bushmaster rifles. Out of the 79 rifles reported, 29 rifles (37%) were defective. This included one police department that received 11 out of 18 rifles with loose carrier keys. Other problems included over-torqued barrels, defective gas tubes, incorrect headspace and defective gas rings. Again, while not a large sample, this is HARD DATA.

Honestly, given the loyalty of many Bushmaster owners here, I was astounded by the survey respondents candor. Yes, in all these cases Bushy did "make it right" in the end, but I would hope a company with a name like "Quality Parts" would work harder to get it right first time.

I love FACTS.

But hey, Bushmaster is on your side (since your side is the ONLY side Bushmaster has) LOL!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Out of the 79 rifles reported, 29 rifles (37%) were defective. This included one police department that received 11 out of 18 rifles with loose carrier keys. Other problems included over-torqued barrels, defective gas tubes, incorrect headspace and defective gas rings. Again, while not a large sample, this is HARD DATA.

I have/had 4 Bushmaster rifles, all function flawlessy, thoiugh there were variances in the lowers to accomodate an RDIAS. As I said, they were all flawless. Again, while not a large sample, this is HARD DATA.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top