BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 11:51:09 AM EDT
how old do you have to be to buy AR
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You just have to follow your State and Federal laws for a long gun.  Federal law is 18.  I imagine your state law is the same.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, fuck, more airsofters.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
i dont play airsoft
iv been shooting my parents guns but i wanted an AR but dident get it cause of the ban, now that ban is gone i want one if i wasent old enough i would have gotten my parents to buy it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh, fuck, more airsofters.  

Give him a chance, he wants to buy a real AR-15
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#5]
You have to be at least 216 months old.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
i dont play airsoft
iv been shooting my parents guns but i wanted an AR but dident get it cause of the ban, now that ban is gone i want one if i wasent old enough i would have gotten my parents to buy it

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I am 16 and am getting my first gun on sat, it will be a DPMS M4 Type, would get bushy but cant afford it!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would get bush but cant afford it!!!

Tell me about it.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am 16 and am getting my first gun on sat, it will be a DPMS M4 Type, would get bushy but cant afford it!!!

That will be a nice first AR
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
im getting a oly with
Upper Receiver:
16” SUM 1:8 Threaded
A2 Flash Suppressor(not too tight)
A2 Front Sight
POF Predator P-4 (tight)
A3 Flat Top
Chrome Lined Chamber
MAD Flip Up BUIS

Lower Receiver:
2 Stage Match Trigger
6 Position Telescopic Stock
First Samco Tactical Grip

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Make sure you request the chromed bore/chamber for the extra $40.  It will be worth it. Trust me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
DPMS is a good company and they make a fine rifle. Ditto on the chrome bore/chamber...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]

The ban never stood in your way. You could have gotten a new one all along before the ban sunset, if you could live with a fixed stock, no flash hider, and no bayonet lug. Those are three features that DON'T increase accuracy or affect the rifle's reliability. It's cool to have those features so the rifle looks exactly right, but when you're shooting....who really cares?

The ban wasn't a factor if you just wanted to shoot a military style semi-automatic rifle.

CJ

i dident want a fixed stock and no FS
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Young'ens and Whipper-Snappers,

Kidding, Get an AR if your 18 and your state law premits it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
im getting a oly with
Chrome Lined Chamber

Uhhh... I dont think so.  The SUM (Stainless Ultra Match) barrel is a SAAMI spec chamber, stainless steel, and is NOT chrome lined.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
im getting a oly with
Upper Receiver:
>>>A2 Flash Suppressor(not too tight)
A2 Front Sight
POF Predator P-4 (tight)
A3 Flat Top
Chrome Lined Chamber
MAD Flip Up BUIS

i dident want a fixed stock and no FS

Huh?  I miss your meaning.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Never mind.   I get what you're saying.

Having a rifle without the cool parts is way better than having no rifle at all.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I got my Colt when I was 16

On my birthday actually.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I got mine when I was 15.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
im getting a oly with
Upper Receiver:
A2 Flash Suppressor(not too tight)
A2 Front Sight
POF Predator P-4 (tight)
A3 Flat Top
Chrome Lined Chamber
MAD Flip Up BUIS

Lower Receiver:
2 Stage Match Trigger
6 Position Telescopic Stock
First Samco Tactical Grip

I'm assuming you're getting the PCR-3 in which case a couple things.
1. Oly does not chrome lines their barrels (that means chamber and bore)
2. I am pretty sure Oly still does not threat their SUM barrels because they are "varmint" style barrels designed for target shooting, not combat
3. The PCR-3 comes with a 4-5 lbs. trigger. Try it out first before you ask for a two stage.
4. By tight are you mean like screwed on tight or in the slang sense? Both parts where you mention "tight" require at least some part to be screwed on for them to be attached.
5. Try the Oly MASS BUIS. They're a similar design to the MAD and about $50 cheaper if you get the set.

Now for my "responsibility" lecture. If you're under 18, don't try to go out and buy your gun without your parents. Wait the two years or so and buy one for yourself legally. Also, make sure someone over 18 is with you at the range. The last thing you want is a federal weapons charge if you ever get caught with one because if you're convicted, you'll probably have a really hard time owning a gun again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#25]
i am 18, i dident know if it was 21 or 18
i mean not over tightened (hand tight)
tight means with the item mango mentioned i forgot what it was too lazy to go find it.
i dident know that chamber and barrel couldent be treated sepreatly
i dident want the barrel chromlined

Never mind. I get what you're saying.

Having a rifle without the cool parts is way better than having no rifle at all.

i wanted to just wait a year or 2 so i wouldent have to pay extra to have my barrel threaded(and risk losing accuracy) and stock removed to buy a new one
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Oly does thread SUM barrels. They also put a lot of 1/8 barrels on their M4s, even though they are 16" stainless. Hell, they will do custom barrels too.

When my buddy was cutting barrels down at Oly, they were running late on an order of POS plinkers. So they threw every barrel they had in the shop on them. Some were SUM barrels
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Ryu, Colt chrome lines some barrels chamber only. I don't know of anyone else doing this. your barrel, if threaded, will come with a flash suppressor. Leave it at the factory torque specs. You want it more than hand tight, so it doesnt come off. I reccomend replacement with a Vortex or Phantom anyway. This shouldn't harm accuracy, no matter what is used on th end.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#28]
i know oly threads barrels
if it comes with A2 FS ill leave as it but if i dident i was gunna do it i heard over tightening henders accuracy

i wasent gunna go snipe some one at night i dont need a super flash supressor like pohantom or vortex i just wanted one so my barrel dosent look naked
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#29]
18 in MS and most states

21 for all handguns in all states ( i think)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
18 in MS and most states

Most states require you be 21 to purchase a handgun privately, federal law requires you to be 21 to purchase from an FFL, 18 for private sale. Almost all states have no laws concerning the AR to be different from any otehr rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#31]
MaKe suRe yoU gEt tHe kEwL  "M4" feeDraMps.    *drool*  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I heard on TV, so it must be true, that since the expiration of the AWB that 13 year old kids can now buy AR-15 machine guns.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
hey kisara i saw the pic of your "SIR" it was really nice
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Not trying to be an ass, but do us a favor check your spell and pay a little more attention for repeating typo, like 'dosent, dident, couldent, wouldent etc'. Soon or later someone would make fun of you. Just FYI.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 17 and building my first AR-15. I just had to have my mother fill out the paperwork on my lower for me. All the other parts I can get myself.

RRA Lower
LAR blemished A2 upper
Bushmaster 20" Govt. Profile barrel
A2 Stock
RRA lower parts kit
RRA bolt/carrier & upper parts

As long as you are 18 and don't live in a Commie state, you're fine and wont't have to jump through any loops like me .
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
i am 18, i dident know if it was 21 or 18
i mean not over tightened (hand tight)
tight means with the item mango mentioned i forgot what it was too lazy to go find it.
i dident know that chamber and barrel couldent be treated sepreatly
i dident want the barrel chromlined

Never mind. I get what you're saying.

i wanted to just wait a year or 2 so i wouldent have to pay extra to have my barrel threaded(and risk losing accuracy) and stock removed to buy a new one

You're 18 eh?  [DrEvil]Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight[/DrEvil]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:05:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
18 in MS and most states

Most states require you be 21 to purchase a handgun privately, federal law requires you to be 21 to purchase from an FFL, 18 for private sale. Almost all states have no laws concerning the AR to be different from any otehr rifle.

You say the minimum is 18 for private sales? How exactly would I go about purchasing one then. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
18 in MS and most states

You say the minimum is 18 for private sales? How exactly would I go about purchasing one then. Thanks!

Find one you like in the paper or at a gun show and fork over the cash. Not much to it. Check your state law first though. TN ought to be OK with it though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks sir! I will be attending the Gun-A-Rama Oct 9/10 in Nashville... I was planning on purchasing a Bushy M4, but now that I know the minimum is 18 I think I'll hold off for a bit. I wasn't too familar on the legal age restrictions concerning handguns because the law seems rather fuzzy on the topic of private sales. Well, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:57:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I can't tell if you are looking to get a target rifle or a back woods blaster I would buy a blaster first like maybe the car-97 or the pcr-5 type rifle and then buy a K6 Ultramatch upper or a ultra match rifle any of those set ups would be killer

SUM barrels are stainless so that means no chrome.

from olyarms

ULTRAMATCH BARRELS
These barrels are our most accurate barrels, and quite frankly, these are the most accurate AR-15 barrels on the market. These barrels have Broach-cut Rifling. What is that you say? Well, broaching is the method used to create the lands and grooves.  For these barrels, we use the stamping "SUM" which means Stainless Ultra Match. SUM barrels are all chambered with minimum SAAMI 223 Remington reamers. These barrels can also be identified by looking down the bore. All of our broach-cut or Ultramatch barrels have only 4 lands and 4 grooves.

FYI you mofo's who are worried about grammar and spelling I say write it down in your diary and keep that shit to yourself. No one cares or should care if there is a typo, and you are an ass if you bring it up. Oh unless it is a funny typo then fine but didnet or ill   isn't funny(well it is a little funny). One more thing it is spelling not spell and "pay a little more attention for repeating typo" WTF mate? How lame is it to talk about spelling in a gun forum? totally lame for this go to a spelling forum please for the love of god man.

Oh crap I thereallkiller am lame I just wrote about spelling and I can't frickin spell for shit ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

18 to buy a long gun

21 to buy a hand gun    

private sales and/or ownership for persons under 18 with parental consent at least in my state

I got my first gun at about 6. I bought my first handgun at 18

now someone make fun of me for something I misspelled or a typo so I can laugh at myself

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Ha fuckin HA.. I didnt mean to offense anyone, in fact i was trying to help ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I really like all of the AR-15's I've have had. My suggest is all of you young, single rifleman is to BUY YOURSELF AN M-1 GARAND from the CMP as soon as possilbe. I would buy a Collectors Grade M-1. Yes. I know they are $1400.00, but in 10 years they will be worst twice that. Nothing else for that amount of money is going to be worth $2800.00 in ten years.

While I like my new Bushmaster. Nothing short of a Brown Bess or a Hawkin Rfle shots like my DCM Springfield M-1. I'm going to buy one for my son, who is 2 years old.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top