Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 9:06:29 AM EDT
I own a colt 6400MC and wish to remove the muzzle brake mainly for the loudness of it; a flash suppressor should be quieter right?

I noticed that the threads on an A2 flash supressor are much much smaller than the size of the end of my barrel it seems that almost 30 percent of the barrel would have to be machied off to mount one, is this the norm?

I guess it has to be pinned since my barrel is 14.5 so does that mean they will thread it then pin it on or does someone sell a non threaded flash suppresor?

ALso, what places can do this and are the best; websites or numbers would be much appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes the FS while quieten that beast for sure.

FYI, the barrel if it's 14.5" will have to have somethng other than a standard military A2 FS re-installed tho as when finished it MUST BE 16+ inches long from bolt face to end of permanently mount FS.

Suggest you look at Vortex G6, Phantom (3 types) or one of Kurt's long A2 types (see Industry forum for Kurt's Kustom)

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Mike for the info! Those muzzle brakes are ear deafening!

I will check into Kurts customs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The Colt 6400MC has a 16.1" barrel, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at one of these rifles in question, and was told by the owner of the gunshop that muzzle brake on the end could very easily be converted to a flash supressor.  I dont know for sure if its true or not, but maybe you folks will.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:17:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was looking at one of these rifles in question, and was told by the owner of the gunshop that muzzle brake on the end could very easily be converted to a flash supressor.  I dont know for sure if its true or not, but maybe you folks will.

You cut the muzzle break off and add a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They come off easy. Just held on by two pins, but there are no thread underneath.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The actual barrel length without the muzzle break is 16.1". Although many bash Colt (and I as well even owning one), they do look out to go slightly above gov regs which in this case only helps when doing jobs like this. If you opt to have a FS installed and the person doing the job does not cut off any of the barrel it will not have to be perm attached. Thats why the original one is roll pinned and not welded....Unless I havent read up on the fact of a threaded barrel requires perm attchment, so correct me if Im wrong on that aspect... I would also add that through the little research I have done on barrel length the ballistic differences between 14.5" and 16" barrel length are worth noting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Sabre, you are exactly right, I just measured my barrel for the first time and it is 16.1 not includig the muzzle brake!

This means that I can use the A2 suppresor that I already own and just have the barrel lathed and threaded right?

As you can see in demarcus's pic quite a bit of the barrel will have to be lathed off to thread it; is this normal?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not a pro gunsmith, just attended Colt Armor school this yr and would say yes turn it down, thread it, and install. I was considering the same operation on my 6400C barrel and decided to leave it as it is. Shooting BH 75gr match ammo at 200m hit -1.0 moa (on a bag). With that my 6400C will remain  as it is. I FF with a YHM 4 rail and installed a Vltor standard and Im very happy. The lug and hiders dont mean anything, just add weight. The compensator on the 6400C is actually a proven well liked design which was written off as a compensator for the anti-gun nuts but is actually a flash hider in disquise if you knew it. Just something to think about!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top