Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 6:56:01 AM EDT
Hi guys,
  As you can see, I am new to the forum.  I have been reading many of the posts for the past few days waiting for my password confirmation.   Here is my question.  I am saving cash to purchase my FIRST AR type rifle.  It will be used strictly for cutting paper because PA does not permit a semi for hunting varmints.  I notice that many of the rifles pictured and ref. to on the board are Armalites, DPMS, and Bushmasters etc... I was looking into the Colt HBAR MTC6700C.  Is there something about the Colts that I should know about?  It just doesn't seem like many of you guys have them.  Thanks in advance for any replies.
Jules
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't buy one because if you do it will be a Clinton Gun, not a NO BAN
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Simply because it will come without a high cap mag?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Colt MT6700. It has been a great rifle and it has a pony on it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm somewhat new, also, but I get the feeling that you either love Colt or hate them.  The hate stems from the company's policy to continue to sell post ban featured rifles to LE/MIL agencies only.  The reasons for this policy, as far as I can gather, have not been credibly confirmed and as such, rumors abound and speculation stirs.  Some believe that, aside from and regardless of the justification, that this is un-American.  I will maintain a wait and see approach as if permanantly true, there may be some legal rationale for doing this (i.e. contractual obligations).  Colt's are very nice weapons as are some of the other manufactures touted on this website.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Colts are more expensive generally. Plus they have non-standard parts, which makes replacement a pain.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No flash hider or bayonet lug either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#7]
hey  great to have a new member   i'm a newbe   also    
if you want a colt buy it through   www.sawlesales.com  law enforcement dealer  but you can have configured  anyway you want it chrome lined barrels  heavy barrel   all the fixtures   but it will cost top dollar  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought Colt was only doing chrome-line chamber, not barrel on their MT rifles now. Is this not correct?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#9]
i don't love colt and i don't hate them.

i just don't see the point in spending 1/3rd more money on a product which is no better than the others (and in fact sometimes not as good) and which is sold by a company which is reluctant to support our 2cnd ammendment rights when there are companies (Rock River Arms, Armalite, Bushmaster, etc) which provide a product just as good and also put themselves on the line to support our rights.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a pony rifle, and love it (HBAR flat top with a pinned muzzel break).  I bought it about 4 years ago, had no clue about Colts politics and at that time didn't care, I just wanted a flat top AR-15 and that was the first one I found that I liked.  For the most part it runs flawlessly.  The only way I've ever been able to make it malfunction is by feeding it WOLF Steel cased ammo.  After about 100 rounds of rapid fire (using 40 round mags) the chamber will get so hot that the steel cases will expand from the heat and fail to extract.  I couldn't even knock it out with the cleaning rod.  but after the gun set for a few minutes and cooled down the casing shrunk to normal size and fell out when I picked the gun up.  I blame the ammo not the gun.  Not to knock WOLF, I still use a lot of WOLF ammo, just avoid the steel cases for sustained rapid fire.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]
All politics and brand loyalties aside, the Colt MT6700C is an excellent rifle. I enjoy mine more than I do my Bushmaster 20" A3, mostly because it's more accurate and more reliable. I've got nothing against Bushmaster per se, but in my opinion Colt AR's have always been built better than the competition and have outperformed other AR's in areas I find significant (accuracy and reliability). If you want the Colt you should buy it with confidence.

HTH,
Brewer
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Being new, sometimes a forum like this is the only way to make an informed decision.  Thank all of you for your input.  I will not be able to afford the rifle until January or February, but like to get the most info before buying.   I am leaning toward the Colt but have not made up my mind.  Thanks again and I look forward to reading more.
Jules
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
ALL THE PC COLTS BEING SOLD EXCEPT FOR THE M4 CARBINE WITH MUZZLE BREAK  HAVE CHROME LINED CHAMBERS BUT THE BARREL IS NOT CHROME LINED IF YOU BUY FROM SAWLESALES   THE LE  UPPERS  CAN BE BOUGHT WITH CHROME LINED CHAMBER AND BARREL    WWW.SAWLESALES.COM     hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought my post ban HBAR colt was crome lined.  I guess I should investigate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#15]
ABOUT 10 YEARS   AGO COLT STARTED TO JUST MAKE MOST OF THEIR GUNS WITH CHROME MOLY BARRELS  CALL COLT THEY'LL TELL YOU  1800 962 COLT   THE CHAMBERS ARE CHROME  LINED      BUT THE 24 INCH ACCURIZED  MODEL \
MODEL CR6724
NAME Colt Accurized Rifle
FINISH Matte black brushed with stainless steel barrel
ACTION - Semi Auto
- Gas operated
- Multi-lug rotary locking bolt
CALIBER .223 Rem
CAPACITY 9 Rounds
BARREL LENGTH 24”
RIFLING TWIST RH. 1 Turn in 9”
RIFLING GROOVES 6
TRIGGER Smooth

While the Colt name is virtually synonymous with handguns, Sam Colt’s initial revolvers off the assembly line were longarms. That’s right. The first production model of any Colt was the No.1 Ring Lever Rifle. The carbine breech (attachable shoulder stocks for handguns) and America’s first slide action rifle were also part of Colt’s on-and-off ventures into longarms. Then in 1963 the AR-15 and M16 .223 automatic rifles “made Colt’s the small-arms sensation of modern warfare”. Their unmatched accuracy, performance and durability are available in their direct descendent, the Colt semiautomatic-only, sporting rifles. They’re ideal for hunting, plinking and competition shooting.

MODEL MT6400C
NAME Match Target M4
FINISH Matte black
ACTION - Semi Auto
- Gas operated
- Multi-lug rotary locking bolt
CALIBER .223 Rem
CAPACITY 9 Rounds
BARREL LENGTH 16.1”
RIFLING TWIST RH. 1 Turn in 7”
RIFLING GROOVES 6
TRIGGER Smooth
FRONT SIGHT Adjustable post for elevation
REAR SIGHT Adjustable for windage and elevation
SIGHT RADIUS 14¾”
WEIGHT 7.3 lbs
OVERALL LENGTH 35”
SPECIAL FEATURES - Flat top receiver allows for scope mounting
- Compensator  

QUALITY MAKES IT A COLT  
Colt Legal/Copyright/Privacy Information About This Site  
© 2003 Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC All Rights Reserved.  

FRONT SIGHT -
REAR SIGHT -
SIGHT RADIUS -
WEIGHT 9.25 lbs
OVERALL LENGTH 43”
SPECIAL FEATURES - Flat top receiver allows for scope mounting
- Stainless steel heavy barrel
- Tubular handguard
- Free floating barrel  

AND THIS MODEL IS CHROME LINED BARREL AND CHAMBER  hippie.gifhippie.gif
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#16]
When I drive to the range in my Suburban, it is a quite, safe and fun ride compared to my compact car. Of course I paid a lot more for the Suburban. I believe this is money well spent. When I get to the range I shoot my RRA's and Bushmaster carbines and have a super time.  Until someone can prove to me that buying a Colt will enhance my shooting experience why would a logical person pay more for one. If buying a Colt is an ego boost than maybe I don't understand the psychology of the needy ego. You people who keep pushing Colts on new shooters are doing them a disservice. The addittional money paid for a Colt could be better spent augmenting there rifle with great accessories and with NO loss of accuracy , dependability or  pleasure.  Give it up, please...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When I drive to the range in my Suburban, it is a quite, safe and fun ride compared to my compact car. Of course I paid a lot more for the Suburban. I believe this is money well spent. When I get to the range I shoot my RRA's and Bushmaster carbines and have a super time.  Until someone can prove to me that buying a Colt will enhance my shooting experience why would a logical person pay more for one. If buying a Colt is an ego boost than maybe I don't understand the psychology of the needy ego. You people who keep pushing Colts on new shooters are doing them a disservice. The addittional money paid for a Colt could be better spent augmenting there rifle with great accessories and with NO loss of accuracy , dependability or  pleasure.  Give it up, please...

Ok, so please point out a manufacturer that, like Colt, magnafluxes their bolts; uses 4150 barrel steel; uses all forged uppers, lowers, sights, etc..? When you do, how much are they?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You have never owned a Colt have you?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No flash hider or bayonet lug either.

or collapsible stock

welcome AR15JULES!
get a different model Colt since the 6700C is a pre-ban configuration. since there now is no ban to limit you- don't limit yourself

as for SAW, great company, but there are many other options available here - just look around

gundealer3, SteyrAug, and many more

Check the EE! (equipment Exchange)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a 6400. Break fell off when I shot it. Rear pin would not stay in and gun would fall apart. Gun is now someone else's property. I still own 7 Colts though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#21]
There is more to Colt AR's than status.  Fit and finish on my MT6731 is better by far than my Armalite SOF and it is the most accurate firearm I own.

As others have confirmed the post ban rifles do not come with chrome lined barrels.  If money is not an issue go with Colt for better resale value and quality.  If money is a concern you can get *much* more value for your dollar by going with RRA, etc.

Jes' my 2 cents.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I both love colt and hate colt.  I love my AR15A2 Sporter II,  AR15A2 HBAR, also have a transitional HBAR (green label lower, blue label upper).  I have a Sporter Lightweight too I put a collapsible stock on , and looking into getting a LE6920.

During the AWB years I shot the Sporter Lightweight about 90% of the time to save wear and tear on my green labels.  It's holding up just fine.

The green label guns are great.  The pre AWB blue label guns are ok, I own one, but the oversized pins, sear block, no bayonet lug, cut out bolt carrier is nonsense.  I absolutely despise the AWB guns (no flash hider, pinned stocks, riveted magazines).  

The LE6920 is absolutely bad ass even with the oversized pins and integral DIAS block.

An AR6450 is on my wish list too!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Ok, so please point out a manufacturer that, like Colt, magnafluxes their bolts; uses 4150 barrel steel; uses all forged uppers, lowers, sights, etc..? When you do, how much are they?

Thanks for suporting my argument.... No reason to pay more.  I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I have had knowing that my bolt is not magnifluxed... BS
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You people who keep pushing Colts on new shooters are doing them a disservice. The addittional money paid for a Colt could be better spent augmenting there rifle with great accessories and with NO loss of accuracy , dependability or  pleasure.  Give it up, please...

All the little extra's I've discovered about my 6400 are well worth the additional $400 I spent to get it.  Fit and finish are superb adding form to function.  The ONLY M4 weapon in the hands of the IDF and our military is the Colt, or a Colt certified manufacturer but I think that only applies to the A2's.  That says a lot to me.  
A few of the guys who run the shooting ranches say Colt's will go the longest w/o a malfunction or part failure than anyother maker.  
You get what you pay for, and I recommend Colt to those who want to buy an AR15.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thanks for suporting my argument.... No reason to pay more.  I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I have had knowing that my bolt is not magnifluxed... BS

How did I support your argument? Your arguing that "Until someone can prove to me that buying a Colt will enhance my shooting experience why would a logical person pay more for one"; well, I think I just threw out abunch of stuff colt does that others don't. Maybe these things don't matter to you, so they won't "enhance [your] shooting experience". WTF is that supposed to mean, anyway? If a barrel blows out because it wasn't made of 4150 steel, would that "enhance" your shooting experience? Or if a bolt cracks on you because it had a poor heat treat or flaw, would that "enhance" your shooting experience? Not a reason to pay more? How so? Because YOU don't think it's necessary? Or becuase you somehow think it doesn't cost more to do it? BTW, you never answered the question.

LOL, it's so fucking funny how some people act. It's a GUN. It's got good and bad points; if you don't value the good points don't fucking BUY ONE. But don't say folks are doing others a disservice for recommending them on the merits of their good points; they may actually value them too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#27]

True, but I would be the first in line when they went on sale at 50% off... I think it's great that you love your gun but UNTIL YOU CAN PROVE that Colt is superior, stop promoting it as the only AR to own. Until then lets ponder why does Bushmaster sell more? Why did the D.E.A. choose RRA? Who wins more competitions where quality and accuracy can truly be judged. I am tired of all the well my buddy is a ***** and he says Colts are God's gift to mankind...  Lets move on to facts, not emotions. The fact is the anti citizen company Colt is raking you guys over the coals and you are enjoying every minute of it. Let the buyer beware " You can buy a rifle as good as Colt for less money". Stop supporting this anti-citizen company or we could all regret your decission later.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
... I am tired of all the well my buddy is a ***** and he says Colts are God's gift to mankind...  Lets move on to facts, not emotions.

and then:

The fact is the anti citizen company Colt is raking you guys over the coals and you are enjoying every minute of it. Let the buyer beware " You can buy a rifle as good as Colt for less money". Stop supporting this anti-citizen company or we could all regret your decission later.

PRICELESS!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Yet again someone asks for help and his thread gets overrun by people who don't own Colts but nevertheless feel perfectly justified in holding court on how no one should buy them.

What a great way to welcome a new visitor.

P.S. I own a Bushie and am waiting on a Colt, so there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Nothin but colts and LMT's

and

Welcome!    to the new guy
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i don't love colt and i don't hate them.

i just don't see the point in spending 1/3rd more money on a product which is no better than the others (and in fact sometimes not as good) and which is sold by a company which is reluctant to support our 2cnd ammendment rights when there are companies (Rock River Arms, Armalite, Bushmaster, etc) which provide a product just as good and also put themselves on the line to support our rights.

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Colt 6400c, I have shot those other "Cloans". while they all get the job done... They are still not  COLT !!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#34]
AR15JULES...i decided not to wait for the price and availability of 'no bans' to become reasonable...i selected a Colt MT6731, because i wanted to add a great FH (Smith Vortex) not an A2 bird cage and a comfortable collapsible stock (LMT/Crane)...bayonet lugs seem out of place on an M4 style to me...the only complaint i have otherwise is the weight of an HBAR barrel, which is now being reduced to .700 by RB Precision...others of course will have their own opinions as to what makes their rifle special to them...good luck with your decision and happy shopping !
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#35]

they have non-standard parts, which makes replacement a pain

OOOH! what 4 maybe 5 parts?

the trigger/hammer system is no harder to upgrade than ANY OTHER manufacturer.  you can get the RRA trigger, Jewell, Armalite or (gag) Bushmaster

the front pin MAY be non-standard but chances are it is.

if its wrong to 'promote' Colts' then is it wrong to promote Kimbers?

because many many do...

david
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I own/owned Colt, Bushmaster and Rock River Arms AR-15's.  I can't talk of any of the other brands.  

The Colt, Bushmaster and Rock River Arms AR-15's have all been great.  

I would suggest, look at as many brands as you can.  If you can, shoot as many brands as you can.  Get as many AR-15's / brands as you can.  

Just like any bunch of machine parts, take care of the machine and it will take care of you.  Abuse it and it will let you down.  If a firearm lets you down, you may not get a chance to maintain it later.    

Get what you want.  Shoot the hell out of it and buy alota mags and ammo, ammo and more ammo.  

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#37]

I have a Colt 6400c, I have shot those other "Cloans". while they all get the job done... They are still not COLT !!!

Have you shot every other brand of AR?  If they are stiil not a Colt what is the big diference (beside the inflated price) and what is a "cloan"?  Does being a "clone" make it undesirable?
BTW grammatically speaking by having shot those other "cloans" you are implying that Colt is also a "cloan".
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#38]
AR15JULES...I considered a Bushmaster, but ultimately selected a Colt MT6400C.  I am very happy with it, even more so now that it has a 6-position collapsible stock (from RRA no less).  There are certainly other viable (and good quality/good value) options, but if you want a Colt you will not regret your purchase.

If I were buying one today, I'd probably look for a LE6920 but the prices are currently high most places since people seem to be spinning the story that they will no longer be available to civilians from Colt.  I have no idea if this is true or not.  Regardless, I'm still happy with my MT6400C with a real collapsible stock.  A real flash hider would be nice.  I have plenty of 30rd mags.  I could give a crap less about a bayonet lug.  I don't think I have much use for it in my subdivision or at the local range.  Besides, if SHTF and I have lost my 870, 1911, Glock 27 etc... and have to stop and afix a bayonet to my AR I will have much bigger problems.  You know what they say about dumbasses that bring knives to gun fights.

My $.02.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#39]
The fact is that in most cases burger flippers, retail store clerks, security guards, etc. just don't have the extra cash to how should I say....."Pony up" for a Colt hence Colt must be the anti-Christ!

As with most things you purchase, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If you can, shoot as many brands as you can.  

You are welcome to shoot my Colt, Bushy,RRA and Olympic... C'mon down!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on finding most contravercial topic on the forum! I won't make any comments for or against any brand. I love all of my AR's all for different reasons. I'll probably own twice as many if I have anything to say about it.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#41]
The oversize fcg parts are not a problem.. parts can be had anywere..

My real question is why is the sear block a problem?? Do you intend to illegaly use a DIAS???

Maybee Colt is a too PC?? But maybe it is their version of CYA?? Who knows?? I am guessing here, but I belive as soon as the supply is exhausted of post-ban Colt's they will give us the goodies?? I could however be wrong, not arguing this point..

As for paying too much. .I agree, I cannot understand why in the hell folks are lining up to pay $1200, 1300 or more for a LEO Colt??

I got mine for $975, it is a Colt 9mm LEO carbine, which was only $25 bucks more than the LEO Bushy sitting next to it.. And I call that overpaying, but I had to have a 9mm carbine, and as you know Colt does'nt make very many of them..

As for the $1300 price tags, I'll say this, Dealer cost for a Colt LEO is under $900.. So you guys don't have Colt to blame for high prices, it is the dealer, and the customers who pay them..
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks, and I suppose every web forum is the same.  I did not intend to "stir the soup up" so to speak.  I will probably not post again until I make my purchase.  
Jules
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Thanks, and I suppose every web forum is the same.  I did not intend to "stir the soup up" so to speak.  I will probably not post again until I make my purchase.  
Jules

Post all you want.  You didn't "stir the soup up".  This place is well known for controversy.    

I forgot to say, "Welcome to the board".  Ask all the questions you want.  Hell, even argue with us.  Most of the people her love a good cyber fight.    

If anyone takes a cyber fight seriously, they need to chill out.    

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]
i own 3 ars..........

one colt , one olympic arms ,and a bushmaster the oly and bm are both "parts"guns and all 3 shoot about the same
but to tell you the truth............of the 3 i like the colt best........one because it's my first AR, second because i paid less for it than what the others cost (i bought it in '82 for $450)

buy one ........build one ...use the best parts you can find and enjoy you rifle
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

True, but I would be the first in line when they went on sale at 50% off... I think it's great that you love your gun but UNTIL YOU CAN PROVE that Colt is superior, stop promoting it as the only AR to own. Until then lets ponder why does Bushmaster sell more? Why did the D.E.A. choose RRA? Who wins more competitions where quality and accuracy can truly be judged. I am tired of all the well my buddy is a ***** and he says Colts are God's gift to mankind...  Lets move on to facts, not emotions. The fact is the anti citizen company Colt is raking you guys over the coals and you are enjoying every minute of it. Let the buyer beware " You can buy a rifle as good as Colt for less money". Stop supporting this anti-citizen company or we could all regret your decission later.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top