Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 9:58:25 PM EDT
Ordered my upper and am expecting it soon.  I stocked up on supplies today as this is my first so I had nothing for it yet.  Made a list of what I thought was the bare essentials and want to make sure I don't have to go put more of a dent in my wallet.  Here's what I got.

-Operating manual (already studying it)
-Cleaning kit  (govt. issue M16 type kit)
-Magazines (2 20 rnd. Colts slightly used)
-A2 four prong front sight tool
-A2 carry handle scope mount and rings (ARMS #2 and Millet - I know this could have been ammo money but I already had the scope)

I already have a case that should fit the complete rifle and a range bag for mags and crap.  Loaded up on CLP, solvents, pipe cleaners, and patches already.  When the upper arrives (eta is about a week) I plan to buy some assorted ammo (various factory loads) and a broken shell extractor for it.  Have I overlooked something or is this all I'll need?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Iceshark you pretty much have it all except you need hearing protection (use the foamies) that way your stock weild will always be the same.  Get a GI sling and your ready to rock, and more mags

Max
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
LULA loader, bore guide (Stoney Point works pretty good), a plastic coated cleaning rod and .22 jag wouln't hurt

I've just recently been informed that pipe cleaners aren't necessary.  The ArmaLite manual says the gas tube doesn't need cleaning.

--------------------------

Aaaahhhhh!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Iceshark,
I placed a very similar order with Bushmaster. Cleaning kit, front sight tool, and magazines. The Bushmaster manual is available for download on this website.

BookHound,
How do you use a jag from chamber to muzzle? Would the handle be muzzle or chamber side?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
MORE MAGS and a LULA
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Chamber brush and carbon scraper for the bolt carrier are very handy cleaning items.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
targets, staple gun, staples.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Depending on the range setup, you'll need a stapler to hang targets on the backboards.  Thermos full of water and ice.  Ear and eye protection already mentioned.  And always BACK IN and get your  vehicle turned around before you start.  You never know if you'll need to leave quickly.  (Someone gets hurt, wife calls, etc.).  

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless I missed something you're going to need a lower receiver.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Unless I missed something you're going to need a lower receiver.

Seriously though, get a LULA, and some more mags.  Also, FYI, one can use a bullet tip for front sight post adjustment, so the tool isn't really necessary.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Nowhere in his post does he mention having a lower.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget a critical item - a range towel.  A small, seemingly insignificant item that can be used from everything to wiping sweat off your face to wiping excess lubricant off your bolt group (not necessarily in that order )
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget about learning how to bump fire.

A spotting scope would be a nice addition or at least some shoot-n-see targets.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the responses guys.  I'll pick up the extra stuff (bore guide, carbon scraper, etc.) when the upper comes in.  I failed to mention that I already built the lower.  I did not want to mess with the upper first time around so I purchased it complete from Bushmaster through a local dealer.  I have some other firearms so I already own stuff like eye protection and plugs and am familiar with the cleaning processes (will avoid the gas tube as suggested here).  Neither I nor anyone I know has owned an AR15 before so I was more concerned with items specifically for this type of rifle.  I plan to bring the lower when I pick up the upper so a qualified gunsmith can function check everything for me.  I saw the recent thread about the kaboom and don't want to have a similar story to tell.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Chamber brush and carbon scraper for the bolt carrier are very handy cleaning items.

My M-16 cleaning kit came with a chamber brush, the one he ordered probably will too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes it did.  To clear up the confusion I already have the stuff I mentioned minus the upper.  I even mounted the scope on the #2 already.  Last night I ordered some of the remaining stuff from Bushmaster.  A carbon scraper, "the gapper", a stowaway A2 grip, and the Williams fiber optic front sight enhancer just because I like having a fiber optic dot on my shotgun and figure it'll be nice on the AR too.  The shop has the other supplies I was still going to get.  A spare chamber brush is on the list.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#19]
The cleaning kit is a must, at least for the cleaning rod. I learned my lesson the hard  way a couple of months ago when I shot Santa Barbara ammo through my HBAR. In all the years I have owned the rifle it has never malfunctioned until I fed it Santa Barbara ammo. My trip to the range was short-lived when I had a FTE and could not for the life of me get the case out of the chamber. From then on I carry a cleaning rod with me. I use a Dewey for cleaning and carry a jointed rod with me for emergency purposes, i.e. removing a stuck case.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Someone to hold the target, duhh.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL, those pics get me everytime.  Are they too cheap to get a couple of extra pieces of plywood?  I just hope that building in the background isn't occupied.

I'm thinking of getting some tracers for the first outing.  Might load a couple on someone as a surprise just for effect.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yes it did.  To clear up the confusion I already have the stuff I mentioned minus the upper.  I even mounted the scope on the #2 already.  Last night I ordered some of the remaining stuff from Bushmaster.  A carbon scraper, [...]

You don't need the carbon scraper: carbon buildup is self-limiting.  If you want to turn the cleaning of your rifle into a demeaning, mind-numbing chore, then by all means go after the carbon.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top