Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 4:55:58 PM EDT
Can you use a spent round (empty brass) in place of a snap cap, or is this bad?

Edited to ask, whats a good price for both 5.56mm and 9mm snap caps?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll bend the primer in, then its pointless. The point of a snamp cap is, the thing where the primer is pops back every time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Heard some horror stories with bolt locking up. Use snap cap!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy crap that was fast.  Thank you.  I thought it wasn't a good idea, but wasn't sure.  Didn't want to buy them if it wasn't necessary.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
DO NOT USE AN EMPTY ROUND.

The round WILL jam and you'll be crying "HELP MEEEEE!!" like everyone else before you that's tried it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Why do you need either?

The AR can be dry-fired ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You need them because its use full especially in the home and you want to show some one how the weapon works.I only mess around with live ammo at the range so as a safety measure when showing some one how to use it and how it works they are invaluable and thats my primary use because as was said dry firing wont hurt your AR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Snap caps or dummy rds are useful to practice malfunction clearance drills. using a an empty casing that has already expanded in the the chamber at 52.000PSI will cause the casing to lodge in the chamber with the bolt half out of battery. you will try to charge the weapon to clear it and it will not budge. you will then try to crack the upper open and find it won't cause the bolt is halfway in the receiver tube....  to avoid all that, use a snap cap or a dummy rd. I use tthe M199 dummy rds I got from My Uncle Sammy and put one about halfway into a loaded mag so I can practice Type 1 malfuction drills. (Tap,Rack,Boom) or find a reloading friend to resize some case's and leave out the primer and the powder and then drill some holes in the casing to easily identify it as a dummy rd. cheap and if the "range grass" monster eats them... no major loss.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Better to use a snap cap. Even if you got the brass worked so that you could use it as a makeshift snap-cap, it would be too easy to confuse with live ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]

I don't see why making cheap good dummys would be any harder than reloading.  If you know someone that makes .223 reloads, just have them make you one with no primer or powder.  Paint it with pink, green, and orange stripes or something if you don't want to mistake it for a real round.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]
um, snap caps
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#12]
For those who have access to a reloader just resize a spent round. Seat bullet and crimp in place. In the EMPTY primer pocket squirt a dab of silicon chalk. It provides a springy surface for the firing pin and works great for those who don't care to buy something they can make for themelves.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#13]
use snap caps, they last longer and is very distinguishable from live ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#14]
What about the "Dry fire Device" sold DPMS and others? It doesn't look like a traditional snap cap.
How does it work?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#15]
MAKE YOUR OWN !!

i have taken an empty round, knocked out the primer, filled the primer pocket with RTV Silicone, seated a bullet in the neck & they will last indeffinitely & feed just like a live round !
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Call me crazy but I dry fire without anything.  I don't dry fire my ARs much.  The military (at least the USMC) has done it for years.  I think they call it 'snapping-in' for a few days before the qualify annually.  (my dad is a retired Marine).
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Use a snap cap!  That way you eliminate the chance of getting a real round confused with your dummy round!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Bought a pack of snap caps the day I took home my first AR.... I just think its good practice to use em

- BG
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Snap caps are the best when it comes to seeing if the shooter has developed a flinch.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top