Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 11:48:38 AM EDT
I've been gone a while, so don't pelt me with "not again" and the like. Did we ever get an answer from the ATF on the legality of the use of an M-16 bolt carrier in an AR-15 rifle? I recall there was inquiry a year ago (a year ago? has it been that long?) but the search engine only lets me go back a month.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It's illegal to jaywalk & everyone on earth does it.

No one but you will ever know you got an M16 BC in your AR.

Looking for answers on this thread will likely cause you more stress & worries than just slamming the BC in and forgetting about it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Two letters and the ATF WOULD NOT GIVE ME AN ANSWER.  They will not answer because the answer is its legal and they just dont want a ton of M16 parts going into civilian hands.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Two letters and the ATF WOULD NOT GIVE ME AN ANSWER.  They will not answer because the answer is its legal and they just dont want a ton of M16 parts going into civilian hands.

I totally agree.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had them for years.  No house fires as of yet!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Been there, done that, still here!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to hijack, but are there any ill effects (aside from the legal aspects, which I find unfounded) to the rifle when running an M-16 with AR-15 lower parts?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not to hijack, but are there any ill effects (aside from the legal aspects, which I find unfounded) to the rifle when running an M-16 with AR-15 lower parts?

no, most who have an opinion think it runs better with the heavier carrier.

yes, it is legal. Its not a conversion part, it is the original design.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you're talking about the legal aspect, we've been over that.

if its cause I typed buffer instead of carrier, I fixed that. Sometimes I get a short between my brain and my hands.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Being that my Colt has a sear block and large fire control pins, I doubt they'll be getting me for constructive anything.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Why would I want a M16 carrier in my AR15? Are they more reliable? Is there any difference from the weight? Oh ya and who sells them at a good price?

Thanks Bill
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why would I want a M16 carrier in my AR15? Are they more reliable? Is there any difference from the weight? Oh ya and who sells them at a good price?

Thanks Bill

Some say they are more reliable. I have LMT and CMMG stuff, and they came with them. CDNN has them, and MSTN sells LMT made auto carriers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're talking about the legal aspect, we've been over that.

if its cause I typed buffer instead of carrier, I fixed that. Sometimes I get a short between my brain and my hands.

This topic is old and it keeps coming up - thus the .  My personal belief, based on the letter of the law and the lengthly discussion in the legal forum, differs from yours.  Nothing new there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:50:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would have prepared an answer for why you felt you needed it once they convert your gun in minutes with the aid of your carrier and take you to court for constructive possesion. If your answer can convince a jury that your reasons were valid you should have no problem other than the court costs and lawyer's fees.

And your point is that the ATF will completely frame you IF and ONLY IF you have an M16 carrier in your rifle but, they will give you marshmallows and balloons if you dont? Does that really even make sense to you?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#17]
There are two issues.  One is the extra weight or the M16 carrier in the rear which trips an auto sear.  Extra weight is a good thing and how the carrier was MEANT TO BE.  Second is the ramp under the firing pin.  It has to be cut away in an AR15 carrier to work with the notch in the hammer.  This allows the gun to lock up and and completely jam if you had a disconnector problem instead of double.  If your using a RRA carrier for example its just as easy to insert fulla uto parts with no disconnector and get it to double as an M16 carrier and therefore if your one of the pansies who shy away from the M16 carrier shy away from any carrier with a shrouded firing pin ramp.  

I dont want my gun to lock up, I want it as reliable as possible.  I want the extra weight.  I want to throw my upper on someones registered FA lower and shoot it for the hell of it if I please.  Therefore I use the M16 carrier and wrote two letters to the ATF telling them so.  If I tell them and am still here why would you get in trouble when they dont know you even have it installed in writing like me?  We have some slack jawwed faggots round here...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Was that last sentence totally necessary?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Not really but I just watched Predator on TV and it just came to mind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top