BIY!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
BIY!!

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried an M-16A1 while in the USMC from 1975 to 1978.

It had an A1 upper WITH a forward assist, a bird cage suppressor and I believe 1 X 11 twist.  I saw lots of 3 prong  suppressors on the same type weapon but I never was issued one. The 3 prong suppressors were very good at breaking the wire bindings around ammo and C rat crates although the LT used to bitch when he saw us doing that.

Anyway I was looking some old pictures the other nite and was suprised to see (and be reminded) that all of the M-16s in my pics (including mine) had a raised fence mag well.  None has a slab side. I told an expert this years ago and he said impossible but  there it is in Kodac Instamatic color. I'm almost certain they were all Colt weapons.

Anyone know the story behind this weapon. Were the other Services carring an M16 in '75 with a raised fence?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen lots of photos of raised fence lowers in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a place where a whole lot of people are confused! The M16A1 lower receiver had a fence around the magazine release button. What it did not have was the thicker reinforced area around where the extension housing mounts into the lower. The M16 did not incorporate the fence.

If you look closely at the A1 lower, it has a distinctive raised boss for the takedown pin detent and a thinner area above for the extension housing. In the A2 lower, the raised boss is almost completely covered by the thicker material for the reinforced extension housing mounting.

This is what makes building an authentic A1 so dificult. Finding a civilian-legal A1 lower is tough nowadays. Any manufacturers out there that are willing to build 'em for us?

HTH
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is what makes building an authentic A1 so dificult. Finding a civilian-legal A1 lower is tough nowadays. Any manufacturers out there that are willing to build 'em for us?

HTH

I hear ya.  All the NOS Colt M16A1 uppers going around seems like a lock for this.  Especially if they made them in early "Colt grey" I hit on that like a snakehead going after a big ole plump goldfish after not eating for a month!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HTH

I hear ya.  All the NOS Colt M16A1 uppers going around seems like a lock for this.  Especially if they made them in early "Colt grey" I hit on that like a snakehead going after a big ole plump goldfish after not eating for a month!

Good luck. I've been agitating on this board for two years, for someone to put out a batch of pre A2 type lowers. I'd even settle for the current dark color. NOBODY has even said thet'd think about it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good luck.his

And it sucks. I would've bought an A1 lower if they were being made instead of the Ameetec lowers I got.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Get yourself an old SGW/OlyArms "stop sign" marked lower receiver.  As far as I can tell, the older ones of these have all the A1 features, and since they no longer command a "pre-ban" premium they should be fairly inexpensive.  The only problem with them is that the surface finish isn't so great, so if you get one you may want to get it reanodized (along with your A1 upper to get a good color match).  

No, these aren't Colt lowers, but they are forged (all the ones I've seen are, at least) and look almost exactly like an A1 lower without the Pony.  Not a bad way to go for a replica rifle IMHO.  Also, if you get an extra A1 upper, you can have it reanodized at the same time as the other receivers and then stick it away for another replica project (like an XM177E2 or something else) when funds allow.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The preban lowers I've seen are STILL bringing high proces, albeit not as high as awhile back.  If,as, and when I can pick up a couple of stripped older pieces for under two bills, that's what I'll do.  But I haven't seen any even close at this point.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
You could probably ask a machinist to turn down the lower reinforcements to have that exposed fence.

A1s certainly are the shit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]
That fulton armory was looking good to me until I realized it had a faux flash hider and an emasculated bayo stud.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Sendra's are built to the older A1 spec as well.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That fulton armory was looking good to me until I realized it had a faux flash hider and an emasculated bayo stud. hr

Not since 9/13 - they will ship the rifle out in non-neutered condition unless asked not to.  They just haven't updated the catalog yet.  See www.fulton-armory.com/RifleOrders.htm
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sendra's are built to the older A1 spec as well.

pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL176/1171244/2214857/46812260.jpg

You mean WERE built, don't you?  Sure, if they were still building them, I wouldn't be griping. I'd have bought a couple already
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Sham,
You're right, "were" built.  With that said, instead of being expensive pre-bans, like they were a month ago, they are now just used rifles.  Might start keeping an eye on the EE just in case one pops up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in the process of putting together my first "Old Timer" M16 clone.

First, I picked up a Colt SP-1 upper.  It was the "grey" finish with no FA or case deflector.  But I changed my mind after tinkering with it for a while because the Colt large front pin hole was a PIA unless I was gonna buy a Colt lower to make it fit correctly; the special adapter bushings and pins I tried just didn't work that well.  But she's still in my closet because the bore and guts are in great shape!

I have since ordered a Fulton Armory "Legacy M16" (no FA or deflector) complete upper and I can't wait 'till it shows up on my doorstep!

As for the lower, it's not gonna be 100% realistic since it's a Bushmaster.  But, I've replaced the stock, pistol grip and handguards with old M16 plastic, so she will look pretty close.

Now I'm trying to track down a green nylon Vietnam-era sling.

Guess I'm not the only one who loves the A2's granddaddy!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Now I'm trying to track down a green nylon Vietnam-era sling.

Moore Militaria has one for $10.00, located most of the way down the page.  I bought some parts from them for my A1 build a couple of weeks ago and got the stuff I ordered two days later.

Here's my completed rifle, although I would love to find a correct A1 style lower for it:

http://www.fatman.org/post/ar15a1l.jpg
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That fulton armory was looking good to me until I realized it had a faux flash hider and an emasculated bayo stud.

Not since 9/13 - they will ship the rifle out in non-neutered condition unless asked not to.  They just haven't updated the catalog yet.  See www.fulton-armory.com/RifleOrders.htm

They've always been available in pre- or post- ban condition.
I assume they still are as some states still have the AWB on the books.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Gorgeous rifle!

My upper still hasn't arrived yet.  It's been a week so I'm starting to run to the window every time I hear a truck pulling up!

Good shooting.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top