Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 1:50:07 AM EDT
I normally do my research first before I buy anything, but I didn't before I bought my AR a few months ago.  It functions 100% and is very accurate.  After finding this board, I'm reading a lot of negative posts on Investment Cast Receivers which mine has.  I'm pretty anal when it comes to firearms and the wheels start turning.  These boards are full of great information, and also makes me think.  My question is should I swap out my lower receiver for a forged one, or just keep the cast since it's a great AR except for the lower?  After reading, I'm just waiting for my lower to turn to dust while I'm holding it, or I'm affraid if I bang it on anything it will instantly crack in to.  Does anyone have any good experiences with cast lowers?  Will they last for the normal Joe?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
They aren't as bad as some say. Keep it until (and you may never) have trouble with it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for what Combat_Jack said

i had an essential arms lower that was cast and didnt have a single problem with it being so. when it does fall apart if ever then replace it
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother has an old DPMS with a cast lower receiver that he has been shooting the crap out of for about 10 years. I wouldn't worry too much aobut it. If you do anything at all, buy or build another complete rifle with a forged lower - then you'll have two rifles!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a DPMS which the fit and finish is great.  I'll build my next one with a forged lower so I don't have to worry.  It pays to do the research first.  Live and learn.  Hopefully the cast lower will give my many years of service.  It was my first and won't be my last.  They're addicting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Cast sucks, but it's probably more of a bitch to buy another, dismantle the parts, and rebuild it. I'd let it be and simply save up for a heavy duty rifle in the future. In the mean time, hold on to it tightly and keep it in a hard case  .
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Generally, forged is always lighter and stronger than casted.  However, this is not saying that casted are all bad.  Like everyone said above, if you are satisfied w/ the lower and don't experience problems, keep on shooting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top