Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2004 10:23:02 PM EDT
Every M16 I've ever carried/shot had a black rear sight base. Most of the ones on the commercial market have a grey base. Why is this? What's a good way to color the base so it matches the carry handle. I know it's nit picky, but it just looks wierd.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#2]
that's funny, every AR rear sight base I've seen have a light parkerized finish...at least with Colt and Bushy.  And I'm pretty sure these two companies use the same parts for military and commerical.

Also, softer steel will be darker when parkerized, and harder steel will be lighter.  So being lighter in color should be a good thing....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
that's funny, every AR rear sight base I've seen have a light parkerized finish...at least with Colt and Bushy.  And I'm pretty sure these two companies use the same parts for military and commerical.

Also, softer steel will be darker when parkerized, and harder steel will be lighter.  So being lighter in color should be a good thing....

Bushy doesn't make military goodies. Colt and FN make goodies for the military. And all Colt and FN M16's have a dark RSB.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The final color of a Parkerized finish will also vary greatly according to the ratio of phosphate (phosphoric acid) to manganese dioxide used in the Parkerizing solution that the individual metal finishing outfit is using at any given time. The age of the solution, and how many units have been treated in it, will also cause color variences. Anybody here that knows about Springfield 1903's can relate to that!

Bare components are often outsourced to large industrial metal finishing companies. This will cause variation in final coloring from dark to light, but not in quality, when done correctly.

The alloy composition of the steel being used will certainly effect the final color. Generally speaking, the milder carbon steels will tend towards the blacker shades, while the high alloy steels will tend to come out more on the gray side.

I own NIB A2 Colts that have RSB's that are black, but the vast majority that I've seen (and owned) were gray in color, FWIW.

I don't think that the color of a RSB reflects its quality in any way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I never really noticed it until now. Here is my Colt. Anyone have pictures of the all black rear sights?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bushy doesn't make military goodies. Colt and FN make goodies for the military. And all Colt and FN M16's have a dark RSB.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
What's with the "rolleyes"?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's with the "rolleyes"?

It's pretty accepted that Bushmaster has made contract parts/rifles (I cant remember the whole story) for the military in the past, and NOT all Colt's have dark rear sights... as evident by those I have seen and those even posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm talking about the Colt M16s in the military. In my 9 years of total service (USMC and ARNG) I've never seen one with light colored rear sights. I'm not saying they don't exist. The rifle in the picture above in't an M16.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm talking about the Colt M16s in the military. In my 9 years of total service (USMC and ARNG) I've never seen one with light colored rear sights. I'm not saying they don't exist. The rifle in the picture above in't an M16.

Ahhh... ok thanks for clarifying.  My mistake.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't know what to say then..  I'm pretty sure the M16s and AR15s share the exact same parts as far as rear sight base goes...I mean it could be a lot of things, arsenal refinish maybe? Perhaps they just spray the moly finish over without removing the rear right assembly, hense the dark finish. Just a guess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top