Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 3:22:13 PM EDT
To the people who own the Predator RAS what do you think of it pros and cons?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
dont own one but I have shot one(One of POF's own AR's, full auto to), I liked the look and how it covered to rail on the upper, which is nice when optics are installed. What I didnt like about it was that they had no covers installed and when you dump many 30rders from it in full and 3 rdburst it did tend to get hot...but luckily I had some gloves to help me empty some more mags.
Also if you like in phoenix, just hit up Ben Avery every weekend and you are sure to see him there, atleast he used to be there every weekend to put as manys rounds as possible through his gas piston design, and he is more than happy to let you try it. You might get lucky and catch when he has he suppressed M16 or his MP5.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]

I did a review on the above upper with the POF P4 installed.  My conclusion was that the rail system was more than adequate for what most people need.  One note of caution - make sure you install it correctly and on occasion, check that all setscrews are tight, especially the ones near the rear of the rail system above the receiver.  POF-USA doesn't recommend the use of Loctite on these setscrews, but I do.  Below is a picture of an ACOG NSN mounted above the receiver, three shots with the rear setscrews tight, three with it loose and one verifier after I tightened the setscrews back up.  NOTE:  THIS MUCH OF A CHANGE HAPPENED AT 25YDS!

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
mango do you reccomend me getting one over a YHM or OLY FISRH?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I live in NM

mango do you reccomend me getting one over a YHM or OLY FISRH?

Definitely get the P4 over the YHM, my personal experience with them has been less than stellar, EEMHV - everybody else's mileage has varied.  I won't install one on any of my rifles any more.

I like the Oly FIRSH much more than the YHM tubes - YMMV.

The only thing I really didn't like about the POF P4, and this applies to the ARMS SIR and other systems that have a rail on the receiver, is that it put optics to high in many cases.  I like bare receivers.  Once again, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
whats ymmv?

so is it pred or oly?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
whats ymmv?

so is it pred or oly?

Your mileage may vary - meaning your opinion may differ from mine - go figure.

If limited only to those two, I personally would go with Oly, as I like bare receivers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Mongo, do you feel that accuracy was affected after you installed the Predator vs. before you free floated the barrel?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mongo, do you feel that accuracy was affected after you installed the Predator vs. before you free floated the barrel?  Thanks.

Can't say with this specific barrel/receiver combo - it was specifically built to test the POF P4.  I see differences in FF vs. nonFF and it gets more apparent as my shooting skills improve.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
those are too expensive and i like the rail over reciver.

if i wanted noting on reciever i would go with OLY FIRSH
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like the LaRue, but I 'm leaning towards  the Predator b/c it raises my IOR M2 (which has the Aimpoint high rings) so that I can still mount a BUIS.  I want the ability to swap between the IOR and Aimpoint without having the remove the BUS when the IOR is mounted.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
i thought about SIR 46 slim but there are very expensive and heavy Pred is half the weight

you are right about"you get what you pay for"

but stickman uses the OLY FIRSH on duty and its get beat up pretty good and he says it still works great
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#16]
WHAT IS 1913 SPECS?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
WHAT IS 1913 SPECS?

The rail specs, if the manufacturer builds to spec then everthing you attach to it should fit, if not, then you might have trouble mounting a verticle grip, or light mount. or your optic mount might fit funny.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#18]
is predator to spec?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#19]
The predator is  a strong unit.  I have not tried this test on any other unit, but I did stand on a predator on a concrete floor.  It didn't break.  I'm 240#.  I hopped on it.  It didn't break.  I jumped on it, which made it skit a  bit accross the floor and scratch the anodizing.  It didn't break.

So whatever the relative merits of the diffeent systems may be, I consider the Predator to be a very durable unit.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top