Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 9:10:17 AM EDT
<edit>

I originally posted this because I thought the flat spot on the top of my stock where the reinforcing ring is ground off was the result of sloppy workmanship by the person who removed the mold flashing from my stock.  DM1975 explained, however, that the flat spot is by design to allow the charging handle to be pulled back.  Therefore, I have changed the title of this thread from the original (I now realize innaccurate and unfair) "Shoddy workmanship on RRA 6-position stock" to the current (neutral and more descriptive) "Flat spot on mouth of 6-position stock".

For the sake of full disclosure, though, I am leaving the original post so people can see how big a foot I put in my mouth.  I am also still interested in answers to my questions about the origins of the various stocks, if anyone knows them.

Sorry to RRA (and whoever actually makes their stocks) for unfairly maligning their product.

</edit>

Like many, I purchased a telescoping stock after the ban expired.  The particular model I purchased was an RRA 6-position M4-style stock.  Prior to ordering it I read a number of favorable reviews stating that the RRA stock is decently constructed and reasonably priced, so I decided it was a good choice for my first venture into adjustable stocks.

I received my stock last week and found that the reviews are, on the whole, accurate.  The stock is decently constructed.  However, there is one small matter I am unhappy with.  The employee who removed the plastic flashing from the seam that runs along the top of the stock also sanded off the molded reinforcing ring around the mouth of the stock:

That is probably the weakest part of the stock due to the presence of the seam and the relatively thin wall of the stock in that area.  

I contacted the vendor from which I purchased the stock, and they said that my stock is normal.  They checked their supply of RRA stocks and all are the same.  

I have no reason to disbelieve the vendor, and the ground off reinforcement probably isn't that big an issue since I don't think that particular area of the stock is exposed to much stress.   When the recoil drives the stock into my shoulder I believe the offset of the stock toe will twist the stock against the buffer tube so that the forces will be concentrated in the bottom-front and top-back areas, not the top-front.

Still, it is frustrating to yet again purchase a brand new product and find that it isn't quite right.   I don't expect perfection, but to me this is sloppy workmanship.  What do you think?  Are my expectations unreasonable?

Also, does anyone know who actually makes RRA stocks?  I've read that both Bushmaster and RRA stocks are made by a third party, but I don't know for certain if this is true and I don't know who that third party actually is.  It isn't Cavalry Arms, is it?  And who makes the DPMS stocks?  

Finally, for people who have purchased RRA stocks in the past, have they always been this way?  I'm curious if this is a result of rushing production to meet the surge in demand caused by the expiration of the ban.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If they would not have done that your charging handle would never be able to go all the way back.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that the reason for it?  I never even considered that it might be by design because I've seen photos where it appears that the reinforcing ring runs the whole way around the mouth.  Obviously, I have not yet installed it.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If they would not have done that your charging handle would never be able to go all the way back.

+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
its normal, my RRA stock has the same thing
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't sweat it brotha, looked like it was broke to me too. If it's bugging you, clean it up with a file and fine sandpaper. They should have done a better job finishing it off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Think about this! Recently I helped a friend add a side sling adapter plate with the small loop hole. After installing the plate (which I have changed on my own M4 many times toying around) we found that on the first pull of the charging handle the handle was binding. After a few times it was evident that the top of the plate on my rifle had a flat spot and this new one did not. We removed the plate, went to town with a light file and sand paper to add the flat spot clearance, and finished the job with a flat black model paint pen. Dont be bothered that you want what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I just had to do some WECSOG work on the backing plate for the collapsable tube on my M4gery, which has a VLTOR carbine stock on it.  The top of the backing plate was sitting too high and interfering with the operation of the GasBuster charging handle.  A little work with the bench grinder, and checking fit often, made all the difference.  A little touch up with a Birchwood casey pen and it is unnoticable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  

I'm not concerned about the appearance, so I will just leave it as is.  My concern was that it might be unnecessarily weakened.  But my fears have been put to rest.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually took a file to mine to get the line straighter but even if it wasnt filed flat just extend the stock all the way before charging it ,me personaly I always charge the rifle before I extend but it is normal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top