Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:56:08 AM EDT
I'm embarking on my first AR build-up (and first AR).

I'm seriously leaning towards a RRA NM upper, but the rear aperture is listed as either .030" or .040" and I'm concerned that that is too small to easily see through.  My only other experience with peep sights is on my M1's and they have an apperture of about .060-.065".

If I don't like the rear NM sight, can it be swapped out to a regular A2 without too much trouble (or expense)?  What in the way of parts would be required?

Mostly the weapon will be used for plinking at the range, but I will be starting to do some semi-formal matches at a nearby range.

Or, would I be better off getting just a standard A2 with a stainless barrel and A2 sights and upgrade later to the NM free float tube.

Thanks,
Tim

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure if the NM rear sight assy has 1/2 or 1/4 minute clicks, but the most you would have to replace would be the L aperture, and (maybe) the threaded screw; a total of less than $20.

Taking the thing apart to do the changeover is simply a matter of drifting out the small pin on the adj knob and disassembling the pieces.  The worst of it is knowing you're dealiing w/small pieces that if you drop. will be hard to find on the floor

I try to only push that retaining pin out far enough to clear the cross piece, but leave the thing still in the outer edge of the knob.  That way, I don't have to worry about losing the pin or having to try and re start the pin from outside the whole thing. It's pretty small

Even working as slow as I do, the whole changeover, if you decide to do it, shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.; or about half that if you're a speed demon
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 The worst of it is knowing you're dealiing w/small pieces that if you drop. will be hard to find on the floorhr

I'm used to looking for things like that!Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
        +1

I'd like to add:
                          The reason for the generally smaller rear sight aperature on the AR is that the sight radius is so much shorter than on the Garand (or M14 for that matter) that a smaller hole is necessary.

I believe that RRA gives you the option of .030" or .040" aperatures on its NM models. The .030" is, IMHO, only good for competition and then only if the shooter has young eyes. Take the .040" if you have a choice.

You should probably shoot with it a bunch before changing the aperature. See if you like it, 'cause the .040" on your RRA might work silmilar to what you're shooting with on your M1!

I think that RRA also gives you a choice of 1/4 or 1/2 minute clicks on the NM rear sight. Unless you're a really hard holder take this advice, from lots of experience shooting Service Rifle competition, get the 1/2 x 1/2 min option.

You can also hedge your bets with the rear aperture by installing one of the rtemovable aperature setups from B Jones, Albert Turner, and some vendors here on arfcom. They just screw in and out of the housing in half-a minute or less. Then you can easily experiment to get what you need. My B Jones setup came with five different size aperatures. Plus, you then have the option of installing a tiny corrective (colored if wanted) lens for serious target work. They go in same as shamayim described above.

HTH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top