Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:42:51 AM EDT
When you drop in a AccuWedge should you have to press the upper and lower together very firmly
to get the pin in or do you need to trim it first. Is it normal when looking from the side
between the halves to have a very tiny gap you can see the light through ? There is definately no wiggle but I dont want to damage the hole in the lower receiver where the pin goes .

Thanks
Paul
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
if it dont need it leave it out. There is a slight gap between the upper and lower. also if you want to put the gapper in without too much pressure on it cut some of the bottom off
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The Accu Wedge is not necessary, but if it makes you feel better about your AR by all means use one. I don't believe that they've really been proven to help or harm a thing. A hint - put a little grease on the inside surface of your Accu Wedge to ease the friction of the takedown pin. It should get easier to compress with use.

A warning however - there are some bogus Accu Wedge's on the market. I once got some from Tapco that came in plain plastic envelopes without any label or ID. They were hard and stiff, and refused to compress. I had to trim material from the bottom in order to be able to use them .

I purchased some authentic ones from both Brownells and CDNN. I installed them in the same AR's that gave me trouble in the Tapco examples. They were pliable but tough and installed easily. They worked as advertised and today, after lots of use during the last few years show no discernable wear. CDNN sells them at quite a bargain price - $2@!

There are a whole bunch of knock-off junk AR products out there, and apparantly enough unscruplous vendors around to market them. When somebody offers things at a price that's considerably lower than everybody else you'd better think twice. At least investigate before you risk your $. Caveat Emptor.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Could some one post a picutre of how the Accuwedge should look installed?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
My Accuwedge has been in my AR for well over a year and it is still very tight. Not much of a gap between the upper and lower when installed and I did not see an improvement or a degradation of accuracy after installation. It did completely stop the rattling sound that was bothering me.

I tried to get a picture of the gap, but it is so minimal no matter how bright the back light I put behind it I could not see the gap once I snapped the picture. You can see it with the naked eye, but the camera will not pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an Accuwedge in my AR for years, all the while listening to everybody saying how useless they were.  I just built a new upper and slapped it on my old lower until I complete the whole rifle, and took out the Accuwedge for the time being.  Oh man!  The little play between the two receivers is really really annoying! Now, add a little play from the collapsible stock and it sucks big time.  From shoulder to sights you have play between the stock and the receiver extension, than play between the lower receiver and the upper.  Way to much wiggle for me.  The Accuwedge will definitely be going back in.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
installing it in is tough

but w/ it in no damage, no play, tight as as hell

go w/ it
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I only use the accuwedge when things get supper sloppy, like in my DPMS LR308.  Had to do alittle trimming but it was worth geting the play out.

You should trim it only so it has enough tension not to play...you shouldn't have to beat the upper and lower together.

Matt
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top