Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:12:28 AM EDT
I recently purchased a lower receiver and a A2 upper receiver from the "Equipment Exchange". I assembled the rifle and noticed very "Gritty" operation of the charging handle and bolt carrier. I guessed there must have been some sand in one of the parts so I cleaned everyting in mineral spirits and put it back together. Same problem. I found the finnish flaking off all contact points and caus'ing bright silver spots. This is what the grit is, the finnish!
The finnish also is chipped off around roll pin holes.
I have an email into the dealer for resolution of this problem.
Has anyone else seen this?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Mighty cryptic. What brand of upper was this?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#2]
This A2 upper receiver is from Ammeetec. I have emailed them but no response yet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I sold an upper to doorgunner and it did that.  I took it back and still have it.  Don't know what to do with it.  It is useless until I blast the shitty finish off and recoat it, but hardcoat cost alot to do, especially for just one receiver.  

The finish was NOT hard coat anodized, as advertised.  It was either a lesser version of anodize or some type of powder coating.  IIRC, I got these uppers off of ebay, but I cannot remember who sold it to me.  It had a Cardinal Forge mark on it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]

It had a Cardinal Forge mark on it

EXACTLY what this one has!!! There is no question this one came from Ameetec.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
After Ameetec took forever to answer my email and didn't bother to reply to another I bought from Eagle.  Glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The Finnish came off? Wow, it must have really permeated into the metal, from all the time it spent in Finland!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]

<----------

MN

Quoted:
The Finnish came off? Wow, it must have really permeated into the metal, from all the time it spent in Finland!

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You funny man, SNorman.  Yes it was a finish, either powder coat or paint, not a surface modifying prosess like hard coat anodizing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
*scratches Ameetec off of buy list*

- BG
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be buying from Ameetec, but I'll be getting a Mega lower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of their lowers and its real nice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just get the Mega from Carrico'z "IBIS" on the EE board. They are $89.00 shipped and you wont have to pay state sales tax.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You funny man, SNorman.  Yes it was a finish, either powder coat or paint, not a surface modifying prosess like hard coat anodizing.

Just for the record, I was making light of Screech's spelling
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just get the Mega from Carrico'z "IBIS" on the EE board. They are $89.00 shipped and you wont have to pay state sales tax. hr

Well I wouldn't have to pay sales tax, but I would have to pay about $25 or so to have a FFL do the transfer so it's cheaper to pay about $7.50 in taxes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Screech and Mongo, can you please post some photos of the flaky jakey?   (For my collection of broken/defective parts).    I have one member's pics from last year, think it was a Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Buhmaster receivers may turn purple, but I doubt that they would do this.  This is NOT anodized in any way.  It is either painted, powder coated or something like that.  Where the "paint" is chipped, you can peel more away in some spots and there is smooth, shiny aluminum underneath.  This is happening on the inside and the outside of the receiver.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:53:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mongo,

Shoot me an IM, I may have a solution to your hardcoat problem.

Done - thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just for the record, I was making light of Screech's spelling

Just having a little fun myself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Mongo, Your pictures look exactly like what my receiver is doing. I sent Ameetec an email Sunday afternoon and within hours got a response. Warren asked me to return this upper receiver and he will exchange it. The Ameetec lower receivers I got from Warren are very nice, assembly went perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Tap
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top