Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 5:54:50 PM EDT
I started this at 1100PST today, and finished it about 20 minutes ago. Let me know what is missing/inaccurate/just plain wrong. This is destined to become part of www.BOB-Oracle.com.

-U-

www.bob-oracle.com/choosear.htm
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!  How about adding Colt's new style stock, and a note that the Colt, Vltor and LMT require a milspec buffer tube that does not work with the one you have pictured?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Very nice!  How about adding Colt's new style stock, and a note that the Colt, Vltor and LMT require a milspec buffer tube that does not work with the one you have pictured?

Thank you, I'll add that in with any other advise I recieve tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn fine job but needs more stuff. Battlegrip...more handguards(not all, just the best for the $$$)...info on barrel twists/lengths and generally what they are good for....maybe some of the more popular optics. This could make for a good sticky if there was more stuff on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
chromemoly better accuratewise than SS?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
No, thank you for putting together this very informative and useful page
If you want to use any pics here you have my blessing, but due to my pos earthlink account's monthly bandwidth limit, I only ask that you copy the pics (if you want to use any) to your own server
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ARMS's A = Atlantic, not Atlanta.

-Troy

LMAO!! Brian would have my balls for that!!

Musta been spell check or something. Anyways, thanks. That's why I stuck it here before releasing it to the general public.

-U-
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No, thank you for putting together this very informative and useful page
If you want to use any pics here you have my blessing, but due to my pos earthlink account's monthly bandwidth limit, I only ask that you copy the pics (if you want to use any) to your own server

One thing is clear, I should be your adopted son.

Actually, now that you have shown me that, I think it may be prudent for me to include BUIS and Optics in that write up.

thanks for letting me use your pics. I fully intend to.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Couple of points wrong on the A1 stocks.

A1 stocks are 5/8" shorter than A2's not 1"

A1 stocks DO have a trapdoor area (It's the M16 stocks that didn't have it).  I rarely come accross surplus A1 stocks w/o the trapdoor - and ALL of the Cav-Arms C1 stocks (Modernized A1s) not only have  a trapdoor - their storage compartment is about twice what a typical A2 stock has.

Costs.. $55-$90? for an A1?  You shopping on Hollywood & Vine again ?  Surplus A1s start at $20 and go up.  Brand new C1 stocks (in your choice of color) run $40 (including the buttplate and screws).

Note A1 pistol grips are not 'similar to A2 grips' they are very different.  Narrower, they lack the finger shelf, and they lack the serrations on the rear.

The M16A1 upper you show is really a Canadian C7 upper.  The M16A1 didn't have a brass deflector.

(can you tell I was issued an M16A1 'back when'?)

Not a bad start all in all.  You might want to go into WHY you have chosen the options for you rifle setups  (i.e. why an Ergo Grip on the SHTF vs say a Tango Down Battlegrip (where you can store batteries for your light and/or optic); or why the clubfoot vs the standard.

If you need more info on furniture and such here are some resources:
Stocks
Muzzle Devices
Handguards & Pistol Grips (Still under construction)

Also be sure to see the thread tacked up at the top of the Rifles/Uppers/Lowers forum as it has lots of information on the various railed handguards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Couple of points wrong on the A1 stocks.

A1 stocks are 5/8" shorter than A2's not 1"

A1 stocks DO have a trapdoor area (It's the M16 stocks that didn't have it).  I rarely come accross surplus A1 stocks w/o the trapdoor - and ALL of the Cav-Arms C1 stocks (Modernized A1s) not only have  a trapdoor - their storage compartment is about twice what a typical A2 stock has.

Costs.. $55-$90? for an A1?  You shopping on Hollywood & Vine again ?  Surplus A1s start at $20 and go up.  Brand new C1 stocks (in your choice of color) run $40 (including the buttplate and screws).

Note A1 pistol grips are not 'similar to A2 grips' they are very different.  Narrower, they lack the finger shelf, and they lack the serrations on the rear.

The M16A1 upper you show is really a Canadian C7 upper.  The M16A1 didn't have a brass deflector.

(can you tell I was issued an M16A1 'back when'?)

Not a bad start all in all.  You might want to go into WHY you have chosen the options for you rifle setups  (i.e. why an Ergo Grip on the SHTF vs say a Tango Down Battlegrip (where you can store batteries for your light and/or optic); or why the clubfoot vs the standard.

If you need more info on furniture and such here are some resources:
Stocks
Muzzle Devices
Handguards & Pistol Grips (Still under construction)

Also be sure to see the thread tacked up at the top of the Rifles/Uppers/Lowers forum as it has lots of information on the various railed handguards.

Hey thanks a lot!! This is exactally what I was looking for, very technical things that I may have overlooked or missed.

-U-
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of info!  Outstanding!  The only error I spotted was the part about not being able to mount a bayonet to the 16" barrel configuration.  There are bayonets available that will mount properly to these.
Bayonet for 16" barrel
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#12]
A couple of unique Colt things if you feel they would be relevant.

Colt A2 grips are a bit wider than the other A2's on the market.  I guess you could say they have somewhat of a palmswell.

Colt produced a buttstock for some early AR's as well as for the Canadian military that was A1 length, but A2 construction.  It is identical to an A2 buttstock, but is 5/8" shorter.  It is marked CS on the right side near the receiver.  They are very scarce and difficult to find.  

If you feel either of these tidbits is useful, I can snap a few pictures for you if you'd like.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
You have the upper receivers listed from $170-$230.
$100 would be much more realistic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
How about something the advantages/disadvantages of building your own and buying one from the store. As well as that upper recievers are interchangable with the lowers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Critique please  

Stop losing your cell phone so I can call you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I think of an A-1 upper with a brass deflector as a MUTANT. The Honorable Mr. Stoner didn't draw that bump on there. I was about to order a new Bushy A-1 upper till I saw it had a brass deflector, making it a MUTANT. Do I really need to deflect the brass? I seem to see it spreads em out over a larger area if anything. When I shoot Lefty, I still put a clip on left handed deflector on there, them casings are hot. What we need is an A-2 upper with no brass deflector... where's my dremel...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#17]
One thing. You might want to at least put photo credits on the images you borrowed for the article. I see at least one photo that is from Fulton Armory's website (M16A1 replica supported by ammo can).

I would at least provide the credit for this as they may have an objection to you using their images, and if you put their name on the pic it doesn't look like you are saying it is your image.  They could still ask you to remove it, but it's a little less heinous if you at least gave them credit, and they may even allow it as positive publicity.

That's not mentioning the fact that the rifle in the photo has a fake flash hider, and fake bayo lug.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Your image in article:

Fulton Armory Image:

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Critique please  

Stop losing your cell phone so I can call you.

I've unlost it. And I called you from it 1217 Sun, so call back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
One thing. You might want to at least put photo credits on the images you borrowed for the article. I see at least one photo that is from Fulton Armory's website (M16A1 replica supported by ammo can).

I would at least provide the credit for this as they may have an objection to you using their images, and if you put their name on the pic it doesn't look like you are saying it is your image.  They could still ask you to remove it, but it's a little less heinous if you at least gave them credit, and they may even allow it as positive publicity.

That's not mentioning the fact that the rifle in the photo has a fake flash hider, and fake bayo lug.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Your image in article:

www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/darowden/images/article pic.JPG

Fulton Armory Image:
www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/darowden/images/fulton armory1.jpg

Gotcha. I'm going to put links to the sites at the bottom of each photo. (except the little piddly ones, or ones that I googled and don't know where they come from).

That should please the companies that I used photos from. Free advertising.

-U-
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone for the help.

I am going to implement these changes sometime soon. I am also going to add a few things that I forgot, like the "LEO Entry"/Stubby stocks and a few new pistol grips like the TangoDown and MagPul grip that is comeing out soon. Also going to do a whole section on Optics fielded by US troops (to narrow it down some), and different types of BUIS out there.

I'm off to clean gutters now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't forget to add the Sully stock - perhaps the best CQB fixed stock you can buy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top