Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2004 4:43:33 PM EDT
Does Colt still proof stamp their factory assembled guns by the ejeciton port?  I haven't seen any recent civilian Colt rifle with proof stamps.  Do they still do this for the military weapons?

Scott
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't really say whether they still do or not, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.  I do know that, historisally, Colt has always used the pieces w/the very lightest unobtrusive marks on the civie pieces, and I've seen even early SP1s with proof marks on the bolts and recievers that were so light you had to put them under a strong light, and use a magnifying glass, before you could see them.

The bolt on my SP1 is precisely that way. I owned the thing for 20 years before I knew the stamping was even there
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I just took a look at the upper on my 6920 and I don't see anything.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can't really say whether they still do or not, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.  I do know that, historisally, Colt has always used the pieces w/the very lightest unobtrusive marks on the civie pieces, and I've seen even early SP1s with proof marks on the bolts and recievers that were so light you had to put them under a strong light, and use a magnifying glass, before you could see them.

The bolt on my SP1 is precisely that way. I owned the thing for 20 years before I knew the stamping was even there

I know what you mean.  Somtimes you really need to look in good light and I know how to find them, but the recent guns I have seen do not have them at all.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody else know anything?

Scott
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Anybody?

Scott
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
where exactly are you looking?
There is a mark on my 6920 on the front of the rail just behind the delta ring that 'says' M4
and two more markings just behind the shell deflector a fattened-reverse C and the other is a H with a tear drop shape above it- both small-

is this what you refer to? although I doubt they were put on after assembly- I'm sure they weren't-

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Anchor Hocking and Cerro on yours Redfisher?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Those are whom cast the receiver.. The proof marks ar little stamps.. My M4 upper has them in front of the ejection port.. My new LEo 9mm has none that I can see..
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are whom cast the receiver.. The proof marks ar little stamps.. My M4 upper has them in front of the ejection port.. My new LEo 9mm has none that I can see..

Roger on that.  The marks being referred to are a very small triangle, and square, just above and in front of the ejection port. One of them has a tiny C in it; the other a P (can't remember which is which at the moment).  Before anyone decides that their particular Colr piece is minus the marks, I do suggest you get a good magnifying glass,a and look under a strong light.  It's certainly possible that Colt has stopped marking the uppers on late models, but I'm not yet convinced. All 6 of the Colt uppers I own, or have owned, had the marks----but then all of them were made before 1994

BTW; I believe the markings on the pic above is Anchor HARVEY, and Diemaco, with whom Colt has a parts swapping arrangement.

Anchor Harvey is a forge.

Anchor HOCKING makes drinking glasses
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No, the "M4" stamp is not a proof mark.  It distinguishes a carbine flattop reciever with extended ramps from a rifle flattop receiver without extended feedramps.

The proof marks are on the side of the reciever, ahead of the ejection port.  Only factory assembled guns have them.  But not all factory assembled guns have them.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Both of my Colts have the markings you speak of, but they're 2-4 years old.  They're small and hard to read.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Both of my Colts have the markings you speak of, but they're 2-4 years old.  They're small and hard to read.

what type of Colts are they

scott
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the "M4" stamp is not a proof mark.  It distinguishes a carbine flattop reciever with extended ramps from a rifle flattop receiver without extended feedramps.

The proof marks are on the side of the reciever, ahead of the ejection port.  Only factory assembled guns have them.  But not all factory assembled guns have them.

Scott

Were, excatly in my post did I refer to the M4 marking.. The proof stamps, to which i am refering, are in FRONT of the EJECTION port.. The M4 marking is not a proof stamp...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Colt that was shipped just before the Ban went into effect in '94. It has the marking. It's a Square with a C that looks like it fell over. I guess a Lazy C? *shrug* It is right infront of the Ejection Port and Right Behind the D Ring.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:39:16 AM EDT
[#15]
My bad, shamayim;perhaps I should leave my anchor hocking empty next time.BTW,my 6400C shows no marks in front of the port,even in contrasting light with a magnifying loupe.It was made in March of this year and is marked Colt Defense with Anchor Harvey and a C as forge marks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This one?
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=21538

Ive only seen it on older .mil parts.

Those are the stamps in question.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This one?

Those are the deepest struck proof stamps I've ever seen, most are really faint.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This one?

Those are the deepest struck proof stamps I've ever seen, most are really faint.

LOL- +1 That musta been "BIG" Louies first day on the job.  All of my older "pre-ban" Colt's have these very lightly, but my M4 stamped post-ban uppers and ban-free M4 uppers do not.  Also, not to highjack here- but I've noticed a difference in uppers from Colt pertaining to the side-sling adapter.  Some are tight and float on the barrel in between the bottom parts of the front sight post while the recent ones are free to rock and slide on the barrel?  Any ideas on this?  I posted in troubleshooting about this and Tweak says they should "float"- any back-up on this?

Thanks!

GoGo
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#20]
My Colt M4 upper Im trying to sell has a "C" in a box in front of the ejection port and a combination A-F (combined as one letter) mark near the back of the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what type of Colts are they

scott

One is an AR15-A3 Tactical Carbean LE gun (LE6721 I think) that I got around 1997, and the other is just a Colt upper that I bought from SAW to go on a post ban lower I had 2 or 3 years ago.  It is a 20" HBAR flat top 1/9 with NO chrome lining.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#22]
That upper is colt licensed  from diemaco in canada.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]
That upper is colt licensed  from diemaco in canada. herTeam Member
AKA: Edit-Fisher

Post Number :: 661

FL, USA
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#24]
That upper is factory Colt .hasgont
Team Member

Post Number :: 224

NM, USA
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]
That upper is factory Colt .hasgont
Team Member

Post Number :: 224

NM, USA
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]
having a brainfart, Mr COLT?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#27]
The computer was going slow pushed the button twice oh well .
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That upper is colt licensed  from diemaco in canada.

COLT: are you suggesting then that the Colt I have was not assembled by Colt, but by someone else- like Diemaco?

I thought those markings were a reference to who manufactured the receiver - Anchor Harvey and /or Diemaco, and were not a reference to assembly.

in short: if you can tell from this limited info.....

who manufactured?
who assembled?

thanks for the insight.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

COLT: are you suggesting then that the Colt I have was not assembled by Colt, but by someone else- like Diemaco?

I thought those markings were a reference to who manufactured the receiver - Anchor Harvey and /or Diemaco, and were not a reference to assembly.

in short: if you can tell from this limited info.....

who manufactured?
who assembled?

thanks for the insight.

Your receiver is Diemaco.  The forging for the upper receiver is Anchor Harvey.

Who manufactured=Anchor Harvey did the raw forging, Diemaco did the final machining.
Who assembled=Diemaco
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#31]
thanks scottryan.

Damn.

All this time I thought Colt built this beauty, when they only contracted others to do that, and then by virtue of their patents, copyrights, legalese stuff, take the credit (or as some would characterize it) - blame- for building the LE6920 and other models

not sure if it is a big deal or not,  but it is interesting to know
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#32]
inside the triangle is "VP" !!

and yes !! those are the deepest proof marks i have ever seen on an AR-15.

if you look at some of your other Colts you will find the same "VP" in a triangle, my Colt SAA also has the "triangle VP", left side trigger guard.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#33]
www.diemaco.comhe
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Can someone tell me something about the markings on my reciever.
Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/24601/109_0939.jpg
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
"C" stands for Colt
"keyhole" stands for Ceirro Metal Products (company who did the raw forging)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who assembled=Diemaco

How do you figure?

Quoted:
inside the triangle is "VP" !!

I don't think "Veritas Proof" will fit in that triangle.

Eventually, the archive server will be on line and the threads with the pics of forging marks will again be active in the FAQ.

get out your magnifying glass !!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top