Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2004 2:17:43 PM EDT
Looking to FINALLY buy my first AR, and want some suggestions on manufacturers and models. Im not really limiting it to anything, although i am partial to the M4's style. Looking to try and stay under $1500. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Daniel
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
if you are partial to the M4 style you have two main options (that will keep you closest to a real M4)

Colt 6920... same thing as an M4 except semi auto only and a 16" barrel... marked colt's law enforcement carbine.

LMT M4 upper and lower of your choice. Configured as you want. You can get a 16" or 14.5"  barrel for true M4 looks (if you get the 14.5" remember to get a phantom or vortex and permanently attatch for legal length... thats what I have) You will be able to get a rail system (I have a RAS II on mine) and an EOtech or aimpoint for the set up and still be at or under $1500.

Good luck doing that with the colt with the prices they are getting right now. but its a colt and regardles of their gay behavior towards civilians, they have the best reputation in teh market. (that said, my LMT/Bushy M4gery has been 100% reliable and is as accurate as any other AR)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Might I suggest you consider the DEA variant that RRA has out in "no ban" configuration.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
bushmaster xm-15  LEO 14.5in w/ A2 fh

it'll go for around a grand
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The posts above are right on...........

This is a vote for the Colt

since, as they say............... "If it ain't a Colt, its a copy"
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
This is NOT to start a flame... this is a joke...  

But who is this "they?"  Every "they" I know recommends Armalite or Bushmaster or RRA... Colt has been suspiciously left out lately by the "they" I know.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#6]
"If it ain't a Colt, its a copy....................'cause we bought the rights to the original!!"

Bushmaster or RRA would suit you just fine and give you a little extra cash for ammo and goodies.  If money is no object, get a Colt.  Either route you take, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]

"If it ain't a Colt, its a copy"

that was intended to be served with a slight dose of sarcasm, but there are nearly as many who feel Colt is a better choice, as those who 'know' different

I do however find the notice offered by the owner of Specialized Armament telling. As one of the foremost firearm builders, machinist, etc , he  says..........

We do not normally work on AR’s other than Colt for reasons concerning quality & liability. (Many of these so-called “Colt clones” will simply never function reliability.) Therefore, we cannot provide guaranteed work that meets our shop standards.
”In a nutshell” – people want to bring/ship in the most sub-standard (cheap), unbelievable, “it’s-just-as-good-as-a-Colt”, problematic black rifles with parts of unknown origin, material, design and specification – and want us to make these firearms work like highly tuned Colts. This is just not possible! We do not want to take your money to “fix” something that you/we will never be satisfied with.
Having said this – we will work on all Colt AR-15/M16 series weapons; all (real) U.S. Mil-spec M16’s (FN, Hydramatic, H & R); or any AR-type firearms that we have built, upgraded, or sold – (although there are inherent pitfalls here too if the firearm has been modified from its original configuration or was purchased as a receiver – we will try to help as best we can).
As a courtesy to Law Enforcement Agencies we will look at some “aftermarket” AR-type weapons on a very limited basis to determine reliability and/or possible repair costs. These situations need to be discussed on a case by case basis before any weapons should be shipped to us.
On a positive note – even though nearly 90% of Specialized Armament’s business is to our many discerning Law Enforcement and Government customers, we will always provide OEM quality parts, accessories, and services to private citizens who are committed to owning high quality, military grade firearms.

now I am sure the guys at __________________(fill in the blank) feel just as strongly as this man does, and that is what makes this discussion so much fun
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"If it ain't a Colt, its a copy"

We're all having fun here!

[mongo][Colt guys]

While my name isn't Ken, I have proven that I can build reliable ARs out of quality parts that don't have a pony stamped on them.  He has carved his niche and doesn't want to be bothered with wannabees.  While that pisses off alot of people, I can see his point.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Carried an m16A2 for 7 years in the Corps.
Just got a RRA Tactical CAR A4.
Unbeleivable how much better of a rifle it is compared to the issued one.
The trigger is soooooo sweet! and the fit and finish is very nice.
I highly recommend.
So does the DEA.  (hmm...., why didn't they go with a Colt? he

My .02¢
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My .02¢

If you bought a Colt, you might not have had the two cents to give!

[mongo][Colt guys]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
My .02¢
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[mongo][Colt guys]

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My .02¢

[mongo][Colt guys]

HAHAHA!  funny
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I am extremely impressed with my Rock River Arms rifle, tight tolerances and groupings!  The new DEA model is sweet!headbang.gif
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
$1500 can set you up with a rifle, a few "add-ons", some magazines, and ammo.

If you buy something OTHER than Colt, that is.

Personally, I'm a huge Bushmaster fan, but since so many guys have such good things to say about RRA, you should maybe go that route.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top