Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 12:07:26 PM EDT
I am torn between these two choices.

In ya'lls experience are the two equal in quality, fit and finish.

My wife is about to the end of her rope with my gun habit. I need to get this right the first time.

I presently shoot a clintonized 20" A3 Bushy. I am planning to refit it back to pre-clinton configuration.
That is a seprate super secret project......

I have been looking at CMMG stuff on the net and at a couple of shows.

I have been really impressed with my Bushy but the CMMG's really look good too. And they are close by.  

What do you experienced AR shooters really think about these two choices?
How do they stand up to each other when compared side by side?

This site is awesome! Busier that any other forum I watch.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
tried and tru: BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG kicks Bushmaster in the ass.  I have shot both and the CMMG machining is much better.  CMMG offers 1/7 twist, dremmeld M4 feed ramps, T marked uppers, 4150 steel.  Bushmaster is pretty clost, but CMMG offers more; 1/7" and T marked.  I would get the CMMG to get a little more variety.

My $0.02,

Mac
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used both CMMG  & Bushmaster, bushy's has a better protective finish,but CMMG,if your buying one of their chromed lined barrel  that  is also  made of  4150 steel,than I  say both are the same,except  type of finish.
I happen to like CMMG,  the one Im using has been dependable,also has 14 1/2" barrel  with Phantom, and 1/7 twist,M4 feed ramps.

TG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok...my ignorance on the subject should be more than obvious.....!

What does T marked mean? and what is the special M4 feed ramp?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok...my ignorance on the subject should be more than obvious.....!

What does T marked mean? and what is the special M4 feed ramp?

T markings can be on the top of a A3 upper receiver.  All they do is juat say T2, T4, T6, ect.  Tell you what rails is what.  Kinda useless, but they represent and prove excellent machining.  They look cool too.  globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=153&prd=155  That is the upper receiver that I have on my 24" varminter.  That is basically the same upper that CMMG uses.  Top quality.

M4 feed ramps are supposed to increase reliabliity.

Anyone have the M4 feed ramps misinformation page?

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
LMT seesm to be held in the highest regards around here.

What is LMT?  
Thanks for humoring the ignorant....you folks are the greatest !

I am learning though!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
LMT and CMMG are pretty clost in quality.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
well i will put my 2 cents in. i have both. i shoot my CMMG upper more. i have had CMMG build me up 6 uppers. i love the fact that all there stuff is chrome line and 1&7 twist. i also love the fact that i am suporrting 2 good freinds and helping people i know and suport there family. you cannot get a better upper for the money. they also stand buy there products. Jeff/John will never do you wrong and if the screw up they will make it right. so maybe im a little one sided. i probablyt am. i have a CMMG m4 it has close to 1k rounds thur it and it has never hickuped. never. i would trust my life on it. it ranks up there with my preban colt.  go with confidence on the CMMG stuff. Falcop is from STL he just got a CMMG upper last weak. also ask Dukenukem what he thinks of his new M4 upper he picked up.  well enough of my sales pitch. and no i dont work for CMMG.  i have Bushmaster, Colt, DPms and CMMG i like my CMMG best , my colt second, then Bushmaster then DPMS.  i soon will be adfding Armalite.Dont get me wrong Bushamster is one of the great AR makers.  But CMMG is LOCAL and there stuff is top shelf. you cant go wrong with which ever you get. Ronald
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
rmdye
Now that is a recomendation!

I too live in MO approx 40 miles from CMMG. That is a plus to me also!
If I had heard of those guys before I bought my Bushy I'd very likely already be a loyal customer of theirs. It is looking more and more like that is coming very soon.
It's is pretty much down to scrounging the cash.....

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
LMT seesm to be held in the highest regards around here.

What is LMT?  
Thanks for humoring the ignorant....you folks are the greatest !

I am learning though!!!!!!

LMT - Lewis Machine & Tool- is a specialty company that produces high end components for AR's

They are  top shelf, and are available on many of the Industry partner sites over on the Industry Forum Board

Spend some quality time over there researching the various companies , as they all have in-depth information, pictures, and testimonials about various makers

Check ADCO, G & R tactical, Operation Parts, Denny's, CMMG, MTSN, just to name a few- as they are all terrific

you will be all the more enlightened for it
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#11]
1MissouriMule, were you located? 40 miles sounds close to me. im in auxvasse, so if you ever want to get togther to shoot some time yell. Ronald
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]

rmdye

I'm in Centralia. Where do you go to shoot?
I usually go over to the MODC range at Rudolph Bennet Wildlife Reserve or sometimes at Twin Lakes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll be good to go with any of the three, but I chose CMMG for the 1:7 twist that Bushy only rarely offers, without the $100 premium price increase that the LMT uppers demand.  Not a knock against the LMT product, as supply vs.demand does make all prices fair prices.  It's just I wont be paying that premium any time soon.

Tex78
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I took some pictures of my new "no-ban" setup after reading this thread and rmdye's post.  I'm going to shoot my M4gery for the second time tomorrow, I'll be sighting it in and shooting for accuracy.  We'll see how she does.  The first time I shot it I observed Missouri Defensive Carbine Club recommended break-in procedure-- 200+ rounds of Wolf steel case ammo through the gun, all rapid fire, with not a drop of oil on the bolt carrier or anything.  Of course it ran 100%, and the chrome lined barrel came clean very quickly afterward.

I've known CMMG since before they even got their FFL, since they used to have one table at a local gunshow with maybe five AR uppers on it.  They have busted their asses to make their business what it is today, they work 12+ hour days all the time.  They are great guys and they deserve my money.  Their business is a success today for ONE reason, and that is customer service.  When I wanted a "no-ban" setup after Sept. 13, I emailed back and forth with them for nearly two weeks trying to figure out the perfect setup for me.  I came to the shop and they handed me an AR15 and let me install and uninstall every different kind of forward pistol grip they had in stock, over and over again, until I chose the GG&G grip.  When I had finally decided on what I wanted, they built the upper to my specifications and had it ready and waiting when I came to the MODCC shoot on the 18th, only a few days later.  And I KNOW that was a busy week for them!!

Everything on this gun is CMMG except the "Ready-Mag" and the buttstock, which I got off the EE.  Lower and upper reciever are both mil-spec DPMS pieces.  1/7 twist, chrome lined barrel with Phantom flash hider, 14.5 inches long and the Phantom makes it 16, so it will actually take a bayonet.  Yankee Hill lightweight free float forend, GG&G forward pistol grip.  GG&G "M.A.D." back up rear iron sight.  I like this setup so much that it is seriously challenging my FAL for the highly coveted position of "SHTF gun".  And I LOVE my FAL so that's saying alot.  But this setup is so lightweight that I could carry it all day, unlike the full-size STG58.

Next things on the list are a good 3-point sling and an EOtech for the top rail.  Both will come from CMMG.  

EDIT:  By the way, Bushmaster's stuff is top notch as well.  I like Bushmaster's quality better than Colt personally, and Bushmaster also deserves our money, unlike Colt.  LMT shows great promise but has some problems that need to be sorted out first.  For the money their machining work is sometimes not what it ought to be, but they also have good customer service and I'm told they have replaced the pieces that had issues with no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered a CMMG Mod4 upper yesterday. This is going to be my second build. My first was a Model 1 sales kit and it run perfectly.

However, on this second build, I want to have something nice and reliable and I have read nothing but positive replies from members here with CMMG. I check around a few different site and a few different uppers and I finally decided on their upper b/c of the spec.

My final vote of confident  came from checking out the live vid on the CMMG site of the Beta Mag 100rd dump, the freaking SBR dump the whole 100 rd in a rock & roll manner really impressed me. I don't have a M16 lower but it nice to know that my new upper is capable to do this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#17]
A DPMS from CMMG was my first and only build.  I'm not even considering anyone else for my next rifle.        
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know how long CMMG's backlog is these days? I ordered an upper last weekend and haven't heard anything sense then.  Not to worried about it though-- their product at their price is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Next things on the list are a good 3-point sling and an EOtech for the top rail. Both will come from CMMG.

Check out my buddy Rob's prices on Eotech.  That is where I got mine.

www.greenmountaingear.com
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Jim eden from Bushmaster told me they offer 14.5 1/7 barrels $220 barrel only and $250 for a complete assembly $35 extra for a phantom.Its only for the 14.5 and they offer standard M4 profile or HBAR.I have never owned a CMMG but have heard the FSBs are cast.Call Bushy customer service and ask for jim he took care of me .
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#21]
eothingy??????????? get a aimpoint instead comp m2. try to support our industry partners, they have great prices and service. check the e.e.
i bought a a3 upper from jeff at cmmg over a year ago. this upper is just plain reliable!!!!!!!
i love the upper and the service at cmmg is quite impressive.
i would put my cmmg upper against anything on the market today.... cmmg is way underated.
when it's time for another upper it will definetly cmmg for me. imho

meat

p.s. f.s.b. is no longer cast. it is forged...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The front sight base on the rifle pictured in my post is a forged unit.  Forged is standard for them, I don't know if that was always true in the past though.

jayteam, thanks for the head's up on your buddy's website but CMMG can beat his price and they really do deserve my money.  Plus I don't have to pay shipping as they have plenty of Revision F models in stock.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Now that I know the FSBs are forged Im gonna give them a look at.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I called yesterday on my upper and they said it will be middle of next week to ship.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top