Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2004 11:55:11 AM EDT
I'm zeroing on on the upper and lower that I'm going to use.  I would like short and light, but would be willing to sacrifice a little of both for a noticable gain in accuracy.

My choices for the upper are either the BM M4gery with the Izzy brake, or the BM 16 HB with the ARMS SIR. If I go with the 16, I will send the upper to ADCO to have the Phanthom comp/supperessor permanently installed (to keep in line with our wonderful laws here in NY). Both will be flat tops with the ARMS 40L BUIS, and something optical added later.

I will probably go with the stubby lower, as I'm only 5"7" and I've had to shorten just about every stock I have ever owned.

So the question is - with LC XM193 ammo or handloads, how much accuracy will I gain with the FF 16" HB?  What can of accuracy can I expect with the M4gery upper?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My M4gery with  Phanthom flash supperessor that I just finished breaking in gets 3/4 MOA @ 100yds. with Winchester 55gr from the bench
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
3/4 MOA is good enough for me! I wonder if the Izzy brake will allow the same performance.  Hell, if I get 1.5 MOA I'd be happy!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My choices for the upper are either the BM M4gery with the Izzy brake, or the BM 16 HB with the ARMS SIR. If I go with the 16, I will send the upper to ADCO to have the Phanthom comp/supperessor permanently installed (to keep in line with our wonderful laws here in NY).

Bushmaster won't permanently install the flash suppressor for you?

They'll do it automatically on 14.5 inch barrels to comply with the 16 inch length minimum, but I bet if you asked they will provide the same service on an in house 16 inch barrel with a Phantom attached.

Also, why the Izzy brake on the M4gery when you could get the same Phantom flash suppressor on the 14.5inch barrel as you plan for on the 16 inch barrel?    The Phantom will bring a 14.5 inch up to the legal 16 inches if permanently installed, got one that should arrive next week for installing on a rifle that was formerly post94 configured.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if BM stocks the Phantom muzzle brake/FH combo (not the straight FH they have listed on their site), which would be required here in NY.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Give them a call.

I wasn't aware that there was a Phantom that was a compensator/flash hider but when I called Bushmaster to order my 1:7 M4 barrel about 2 months ago, they did have other Phantom types available because I specifically asked if they had any models other than the one they listed on their site.

They didn't have the 4 slot/pronged type I was looking for but they did have one that sounds like it was similar, a 5 slot model with equidistant spacing which is what I wanted rather than the one that is 5 slot with a closed bottom.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, it looks as though it' all acedemic now.  As far as I can tell, none of the Phantom units are BATF approved muzzle brakes, which would be required to prevent me from becoming a felon in NY.   Looks like the BM M4ergy with the Izzy (BATF approved) brake will be the way I have to go!

Ordering the upper direct from BM, and the stubby lower through a local dealer, and some LC XM193 is already on the way.  Hope to be rockin' and rollin' in about a week!

Thanks for your help and insight.  We will be moving out of NY in a few years - I hope we don't get another federal AWB in the mean time!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm zeroing on on the upper and lower that I'm going to use.  I would like short and light, but would be willing to sacrifice a little of both for a noticable gain in accuracy.

Ok you've set the rules.

My choices for the upper are either the BM M4gery with the Izzy brake,

This will be light - my 5 year old Bshy M4 (non free floated) still does 1.5moa groups from the bench with appropriate ammo.

or the BM 16 HB with the ARMS SIR

That is going to be a pig in comparison to the M4gery (and all the extra weight will be foreward of the magazine well making it seem even heavier.  The HBAR is a good half pound heavier and the SIR is one of the heaviest of the free float systems (it's heavier and more expensive than the Troy MRF).

I will probably go with the stubby lower, as I'm only 5"7" and I've had to shorten just about every stock I have ever owned.

Go with the Sully you WILL like it more (I'm 5'8" and the Sully just rocks!)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Where can I see pics/info on the Sully?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Nevermind, found the Sully info - thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top