BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2004 10:17:26 AM EDT
I don't get it. I was in a gun store today and a fellow came in to order a Colt marked as such. There were two colt (now) no bans in the shop and this guy said no thank you I want the LEO only rifle. I know that they are now just like any other lower but for people to seek them out strikes me as odd. Could someone explain please?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Because we couldn;t have them before and they don't have to be marked that way anymore.

Collectors value later maybe I don't know. Don;t see the point myself, but won't knock it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Collector's item potential. Pure & simple.

I wouldn't pay some of the wild prices I've seen on Gunbroker.com & elsewhere, but that's their business, I guess.

I wanted a LE rifle just to have something just a little extra special, and I suspect it ticks off  criminals like ted kennedy & john kerry even more.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
They probably won't be marked L.E.O. anymore.  

I have two.  

One I would sell.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I am just paranoid, but I dont really want a LEO marked lower. This is the reason I am waiting on a un-marked Beta C-mag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I tend to agree with poorman. I can envision someday having to deal with some LEO who does not know what he is talking about get wound up over having an AR marked as such. Maybe it's like the RRAs that were marked "US property." Possible trouble from those who don't know any better and who have badges.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't want one either. I just want the regular, common versions around. One day they might decide to mark LEO lowers again and guess what.... you might need to hold on to your buying receipt or photographs to prove whatever they come up with.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
since it's marked 'LEO only'

it begs to be only available for SELECTIVE folks, therefore inviting the coolness of having one when it clearly states that they are selective;
human beings are "inheriently devient to the rules of society"
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, now that the ban is gone I would like an AR-15 marked Colt lower (instead of a Sporter) and I am looking for a LMT marked lower.

Personally I'd prefer to have it NOT marked LE only, but currently I don't have much of a choice for either of those lowers.

But I suppose an LE marked lower could be a bit more collectable in the future if you're into that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't want one either. I just want the regular, common versions around. One day they might decide to mark LEO lowers again and guess what.... you might need to hold on to your buying receipt or photographs to prove whatever they come up with.

From what I've heard, IF there is another ban in the future, restriction markings will HAVE to be materially different, to avoid confusion, as the ones marked in the manner of the late, unlamented ban, are perfectly legal for civillians to own in the Free United States.

As for me, I picked up a used Colt Government Carbine with the restricted markings. Last of the trade-ins from an agency earlier this year. The markings are of no real concern to me one way or the other. Just replacing a pre-ban Government Carbine I sold a year ago, when prices were much higher.

In the tradition of ARF.COM, when considering which barrel length of AR to own, 20 or 16, I now again have BOTH.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Colt 9mm Carbine last week.. It was'nt the LEO marking that sold me.. I shot one about 6 months ago, and told the dealer who had it I would be back to buy one the day the ban expired.. I was waiting outside his door the first free morning to buy it.. BTW he had a NIB one setting there for me...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Carbine and a Tactical because I found them for $850 plus sales tax.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice find/price alaman
Smart move buying them both
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Geek appeal.

They secrectly want one so they can come in contact with a cop who doesnt know jack about Federal gun laws because he doesnt really enforce them so they can then come here an post a jack booted thug "Help me, Im being oppressed" story.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Can I get one that says "FOR MEGAFORCE USE ONLY"?

Sure. Just take yours down to your friendly neighborhood Trophy Shop, and have it engraved..

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Collector appeal in the future when everyone looks back the rare rifles will be the ones with the restricted markings, these will have a longer lasting value.     Good luck...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Why are LEO Restricted marked lowers and rifles suddenly SOOO desireable?

Quoted:
Geek appeal.

EXACTLY

The wannabe's think that by having a LEO marked lower that Barney Fife will soar down from the heavens above and Deputize them....and everything that they do with the LEO marked lower will be tactically sound and they will look like someone who they are not.

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Geek appeal.

Affirm.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]
possibly because other than prebans, the only rifles that actually say AR-15 on them are colt LE models 6520 and 6721?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
possibly because other than prebans, the only rifles that actually say AR-15 on them are colt LE models 6520 and 6721?

BINGO!

Hand the man a cigar...

Hadn't really thought that one through, but it IS nicer to have AR-15A2 marked instead of Sporter.

Now can I be "tactical?"

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I wanted one as a reminder of what had happens when lefties get uppity.

I wouldn't bust my ass for one.... but if I had the option of a plain-jane lower and one LEO, i would take an LEO one just for giggles.

One would be plenty

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought three G17 hi-cap mags the other day.  I passed up the ones marked LEO only.  I just don't want any of my weapons or accessories with that one it.    It's like riding around in a Crown Victoria with a lot of antennas on it.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#25]
It's so a few years from now they will have to mark them...

"LEO only and we really mean it this time"

GM
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I personally would not own one
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Personally, I'm staying away from any LEO stuff.

It would just be too much of a mess if I ever get pulled over and have tons of stuff marked LEO-only.  I would be in accordance with the law, but I wouldn't want to take a gamble that the fellow who pulled me over would be.  I would rather just stay safe and not have to worry about any hassle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the "collector" value reason. I have a friend that works for a class 3 dealer that is thinking about
haveing some LEO  only labeled lowers made if the price/demand stay high.Buying a current mass production item for collectors value is a great idea>insert sarcasim here<
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I think the price is at it's peak now.  I don't really see how the value will go up. Colt is only making a pre-ban style for LEO, but anyone can buy one.  How are these rare or scarce?  Colt will continue to make them and people will continue to buy them.  The only way these will dry-up is if Colt starts require proof of LEO to buy them or stops making them.  I think if the other companies stop making LEO marked rifles, than these may be worth something one day.  But who wants a $1,000 rifle sitting in the safe that might be worth $1,500 in 10+ years?  Isn't there better investments than that available?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Why are LEO Restricted marked lowers and rifles suddenly SOOO desireable?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Geek appeal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXACTLY

The wannabe's think that by having a LEO marked lower that Barney Fife will soar down from the heavens above and Deputize them....and everything that they do with the LEO marked lower will be tactically sound and they will look like someone who they are not.

Semper Fi
Jeff

CLASSIC!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's the only reason I would be interested in getting one. Unfortunately, the LE6920 (which is the only LE rifle Colt sells that I would want) doesn't come marked that way. The LE6721 comes marked the way they should...

AR15A3
Tactical Carbine

but the upper on it is lame.

To be honest, I'm with the rest of the guys. I would like to avoid LEO marked anything. (my Eotech 552 is marked that way but I'll make an exception for it! )
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#32]
A Colt customer rep. told me Friday their Match Target M4 would not be available to the commercial market because of current military contracts (whether or not that makes sense, that's what she said) and that she couldn't tell me when these might be available.

I then saw folks were able to buy the Law Enforcement Carbine so I've started asking about that.  No geek factor, no idea of collectability (I don't collect guns, I shoot them), I'm merely interested in a full-featured Colt M4 semi-auto without having to wait "'till we cross that bridge."*

*direct quote from the Colt cust. rep.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the only reason I would be interested in getting one. Unfortunately, the LE6920 (which is the only LE rifle Colt sells that I would want) doesn't come marked that way. The LE6721 comes marked the way they should...

AR15A3
Tactical Carbine

but the upper on it is lame.

To be honest, I'm with the rest of the guys. I would like to avoid LEO marked anything. (my Eotech 552 is marked that way but I'll make an exception for it! )

I like the 6520.... I was gonna get one but dealers are being gay about transferring no ban stuff around here because of the state AWB. even tho state law says LEO's are exempt, they are interpretuing that as "for duty use" like ATF did, even though it clearly doesnt say that. It was going to be kind of an impulse buy, just to get a colt AR-15 marked AR-15 because of the sunset... (I already have an M4gery)  so I'm gonna end up with a Polytech legend from my overtime money (I dont have an AK yet)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm thinking about "No Fat Chicks" stamped/engraved on my next lower.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#37]
While I did get the LE6920, it had zero to do with the Law Enforcement Carbine markings, and everything to do with the configuration.

It is the Colt that most closely resembles the venerable Colt M4 set up.

Actually, the 6921 is, but that one requires the hassle of a SBR application.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

How about lowers that say:

FOR US CITIZEN USE ONLY
US CONSTITUTION AMENDMENT II
& US CODE TITLE 10 SECTION 311(B)
COMPLIANT

+1 Great lower to have and to hold, for better or for worse.....

I have a thread in EE, "WTT- A lower formerly known as a preban for a LEO".

I would like a piece of nostalgia that shows what can occur with enough pressure to restore rights that should not have been tampered with in the first place.

Also, having one gives me a mental picture of the .gov (er, gungrabbers like Finebitch and Kennedrunk) being PWNED.  

I likeyand cant wait to get mine!

BTW-OT, Why when you place and ad that says, I want x for y, do you get offers for a,b & s????  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#40]

hmmm.....I got an idea, anyone with LEO marked lowers should have them marked underneath the LEO markings

RIGHTS RESTORED 9-13-2004
NOW FOR USE BY ANY US CITIZEN

Ya know... I think I like that the best.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I tend to agree with poorman. I can envision someday having to deal with some LEO who does not know what he is talking about get wound up over having an AR marked as such. Maybe it's like the RRAs that were marked "US property." Possible trouble from those who don't know any better and who have badges.

IPSC_GUY

I have a Bushy LEO M4 and 4 LEO mags. I plan on geting about 10 more mags. Why? Because I can and I figure that it might actually command a higher price someday.  

Hey, I have a piece of paper that says I can have one that the markings no longer mean anything. If another ban should happen, I figure it will be the gobments problem not mine. I have obayed the current law.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Because the rifle was $800 brand new out the door.  Geek appeal-give me a break.  What does that mean?  If you can get a brand new bushmaster for cheaper than normal with all bells and whistles so be it.  I wasn't looking for a marked gun but the price was right.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#43]

hmmm.....I got an idea, anyone with LEO marked lowers should have them marked underneath the LEO markings

RIGHTS RESTORED 9-13-2004
NOW FOR USE BY ANY US CITIZEN

except in certain communist republics...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#44]
"For CAN shooting only"

(you know the rest... )
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I don't get it. I was in a gun store today and a fellow came in to order a Colt marked as such. There were two colt (now) no bans in the shop and this guy said no thank you I want the LEO only rifle. I know that they are now just like any other lower but for people to seek them out strikes me as odd. Could someone explain please?

I don't get it either. A marked lower is a liability in my book.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I just bought a striped Colt marked, AR15 9mm LEO only receiver.

1. It says AR15 on the side, adds some value to it IMHO. Unlike the PC "Sporter" crap. Show me another "AR15" stamped receiver for $159 shipped, NIB.
2. I have the money to.
3. I could care less about the LEO markings.

I now shoot at a private range, no one knows what I shoot or what I own. LEO included.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Mine had nothing to do with "Geek Factor".  The ONLY way Colt offers the FULL featured 9mm Carbine is with those markings.  So I ordered and paid $950 for it.  I guess I could have gone to a nearby gunshop and paid $2895 for a 10-15 year old Colt 9mm Carbine that was produced before the Colt factory became douchebags about their products!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If you're honestly worried about it carry a copy of the BATFE press release with your rifle.

There's going to be a lot more LEO marked stuff hitting the open market in the next few years as departments and indivdual officers sell used guns to get new ones or go to other guns for whatever reason.  Are the people that buy these guns going to be "wannabes" or just people looking for something unique or a good bargain on a used cop gun?

I agree.  I don't think I'm a 'wannabe' because I want to have an AR-15 marked Colt.  I'm not a 'sporter', so I don't need that stamped on my rifle.  Maybe I'm a 'geek' but that's another story...

But if the price was the same, I'd take the AR-15 marked lower that does NOT have the LE only stamps.  Why?  Well, I'd hate to run across a cop that doesn't know the law.  Sure you'll get your gun back, but would it be worth the hassle or the attorney fees?  I suppose you could sue the dept., but I for one don't like spending time in a court room.  

Mags I don't have as much of a problem with.  Afterall, who the hell pays attention markings on a mag?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Not a wannabee (I have already gotten a batch of LEO mags), it is the best way I can think of to shoot the bird at DiFi and Chuck the F---.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I ordered 2 LE6920HB ! For one there are 2 of 300 made they have all of the things I am looking for and it's as close to a m4 as I can get ! the leo markings on it are a reminder of the ban which might be worth a little more some day. If I had it my way it would say AR 15 m4  Carbine or something to that affect! I'm  just happy the ban is over for now, and I plan to shoot the gun until the barrel falls off .    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top