BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 1:15:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a collapsible on mine, but after using it I'm pretty sure my next build is going to be a 20" with standard A2 stock.  It's hard to get a good cheek weld on the collapsible and it's not as comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes two of my ARs have fixed stocks.

Sully Stock (8.5")
-On a Carbine with a 16" LW barrel with DD 7.0
-Stock gives me the right length for 'tactical shooting', and gives the rifle an overall shorter length.
-Only disadvantage is I lose the place to store CLP & spare batteries (I'm going to fix that....)
-Primary use is for 'defensive purposes' and attending training classes

CavArms C1 Stock
-On a rifle with a 20" A2 barrel and MRF-R
-Stock is the right length for 'precision' shooting from prone position and provides a place for cleaning kit.
-No disadvantages noted - except when I do CQB drills (still a bit long for that)
-Primary use for this rifle is target shooting (and hopefully some varmint shooting soon - it's also my 'backup' to the carbine).

One carbine has a Telestock (M4 barrel with C7 upper).  It's for my son (needed the adjustable LOP).

Will I switch stocks.  I'm not planning on it, don't see a need to.  If I build another AR lower it will probably have a telestock of some kind on it (thinking the Mag-Pul).

Biggest factor when I select stocks is Utility/Usefullness, then I consider cost.  Cosmetics are the last thing to be considered.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged because I want to come back to this when I have some more time to type.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Think you got my collection pretty well figured out but here it is again.

3 AR15s and an AR10.

2 AR15s will retain full stocks, 20inch AR15 will stay in an A4 configuration with an A2 stock and the accurized AR15 will keep it's Choate stock with 3 way adjustable plate which actually has around 3 inches of length added to the stock for proper eye relief behind the Leupold Long Range 6.5-20x.

Other AR15 with 14.5inch barrel has gotten an M93A for helping to reduce it's over all length plus afford some additional flexibility in adjusting stock length.     AR10 is getting a M93A as well, the variety of lengths will help to get correct eye relief behind the scope for a variety of shooting positions, helps that the M93A can adjust to a length slightly longer than that of the A2.

I very likely would NOT have gone with collapsing stocks if it wasn't for Magpull coming up with a stock that locks so dead solid as well as providing a cheek weld that is comparable to that of the A2.    It's not exact but it's close enough that it works very well for me.

Modularity of the M93A somewhat fascinates me as well, kind of an investment in the system to see what my turn up later on down the road.    A new tail cap with a set of battery compartments for 123 cells for the Surefire 500A will be a welcome addition if it's in the cards.

For prone shooting behind optics I prefer a stock slightly longer than that of the A2 stock, at 6ft 4in tall the longer stock is more comfortable and often helps me line up behind the scope better.      For iron sight or  shooting using a red dot sight, nose to the charging handle is just fine with me.

As far as uses go.    Everyone is aware of what the accurized gun is for, squirrel genocide.    The 14.5inch gun is the social rifle, the 20inch rifle is general use and occasional 3gun or action rifle use, and the AR10 is a mix of all things from accurized range gun to social gun to hunting rifle.

And Sinistral, email inbound....
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
1) What make/model of fixxed stock is it?

2 Cav MKII lowers.

2) What configuration is the rifle/rifles it is on?

3) What advantages do you feel the stock you use gives you?

Better cheekweld, lighter weight (with cav only), storage space (but I don't use it), more sturdy, more K.I.S.S.

4) Are there any noticeable disadvantages the stock gives you?

Non adjustable for different situations, takes up more room, still a little long for smaller statured people, looks (like the look of collapsable a little better).

5) What is the primary use for your rifle (Collection, Competition, Duty Use, Hunting)?

Hunting, recreational shooting, self defense (if needed).

6) Do any other rifles you own have telestocks on them?

Yes

7) Would you switch stocks in the future?

Probably for the lightweight if it was possible but it's not. Still like it.

8) Which factor is the primary consideration in making a purchase:
A) Cost/Budget
B) Utility/Usefullness
C) Cosmetic/Cool Factor

Probably A,B in that order, hard to say though because if  B is worth A then it would be most important.  C is definately considered but rarely would I make a purchase for this reason only.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the standard A2 stock on mine, and I like it, and I don't ever plan on changing it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks to n-ag for recommending the VLTOR stocks to me awhile ago.  He said that it was like laying your cheek on a pillow and he was right!   I swapped the Crane clone off of my SPR and changed it for the A1 Modstock.  The collapsable never moved and always was in the position that was equal to A1 length, so I didn't really need it there.  So I swapped the collapsable to one of my carbines.  Rifle shoots the same and feels as good if not better.  

No collapsable, no bayonet lug, no flash hider - WTF is wrong with me!!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now that the ban is over and people genuinely have the option to use whatever stock they wish I am curious how many people are staying with fixxed stocks.

Do any of your rifles have a fixxed stock on them post 9/13/2004?
Yep
If yes, answer the following questions

RRA A2
16inch midlength A2 upper
Storage space for the cleaning kit and some parts with the rifle at all times.
Little long. I'm not going to win any UBER KEWL Tacticle points for it .
5) What is the primary use for your rifle (Collection, Competition, Duty Use, Hunting)?
All of the above except duty . This is my go to rifle . If the SHTF , or the big wave comes , or anything in between .
Only rifle I own
Thinking about it . Weighing options.
A) Cost/Budget
B) Utility/Usefullness
C) Cosmetic/Cool Factor

b. If it doesn't have storage space I am not buying it no matter how cool it looks .Some one realy needs to make a collapsing stock that can still hold GI rods . Otis is useless on a stuck case .(Hint , Hint)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My 20" A3 has the A2 stock and it's likely to stay that way for some time. The question for the future would be "if I'm going to fritter some $ away on a better fitting A1 stock for my height, would a few dollars more be a better investment on a Frankenstock, i.e. Magpul, Vltor, etc.?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
yes
A2 trapdoor
bushy xm-15 16in carbine
stability; all essential gear w/ the gun
none
plinking,SD
no, not yet
no
B
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
1) Bushmaster stocks on the Bushmaster rifles and Colt stocks on the Colt rifles.

2) All of the rifles with fixed stocks have some kind of 20-inch barrel, one will eventually be cut to a 16-inch “Dissipator” configuration.

3) It feels right, feels more “solid” and looks right.

4) They’re probably a bit heavier and not as versatile.

5) Collection

6) Yes 7

7) No

8) Cool factor, of course

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The question for the future would be "if I'm going to fritter some $ away on a better fitting A1 stock for my height, would a few dollars more be a better investment on a Frankenstock, i.e. Magpul, Vltor, etc.?

There is really no comparison between the cheek weld of a VLTOR and that of a standard A1/A2.  IMO, the improvement is worth every extra $ I paid for it.  There have been quite a few on the EE going for a discount under retail.  Now would be a good time to get one, while many are dumping their fixed VLTORs for collapsable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
1)Bushmaster factory A2
2)16" flattop/scoped upper
3)Lets me carry small spare parts into the field
4)Not evil enough
5)prarie dog shooting
6)no-not right now, but will when i get another lower
6)yes
8)B
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Do any of your rifles have a fixxed stock on them post 9/13/2004? yes ( only own one got a second being built  as i type)

1) What make/model of fixxed stock is it?  Bushmaster  A2

2) What configuration is the rifle/rifles it is on? org 16" hbar now a 20" hbar

3) What advantages do you feel the stock you use gives you? comfort and those fixed tele stocks  just looked stupid.

4) Are there any noticeable disadvantages the stock gives you?  none that i can tell.

5) What is the primary use for your rifle (Collection, Competition, Duty Use, Hunting)? IPSC 3 gun

6) Do any other rifles you own have telestocks on them? in about 30 days yes

7) Would you switch stocks in the future? not on the 20" A2 its staying nuttered as well.

8) Which factor is the primary consideration in making a purchase: it was 550 (used) out the door who can say no,
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Standard A2, from a Model 1 kit

basic no ban 20 in. A4

It's simple and sturdy, has storage space, and is the appropriate stock for the rifle design.

It's about an inch-and-a-half too long.

recreational shooting

All my rifles have fixed stocks, though that will change with the next AR I build.

I have no compelling reason to do so.

A) Cost/Budget
B) Utility/Usefullness
C) Cosmetic/Cool Factor

A
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
ACE REFLEX SKELETON, FULL LENGTH

A3 CARBINE, RRA UPPER, AMEETEC LOWER

WEIGHT, COMFORT, COSMETIC APPEAL

MAKES IT LOOK DIFFERENT THAN THE ALL THE COOKIE CUTTER COLLAPSABLE AND A2 STOCKS!  hatGENERAL RANGE USE

NOPE

PERHAPS
A) Cost/Budget
B) Utility/Usefullness
C) Cosmetic/Cool Factor

YUP, ALL THE ABOVE
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I started out with a Colt Match HBar in the prehistoric days.  I put on a Lone Star Ordnance pistol grip, a Redfield 3-9x scope and a Harris bipod, but it was otherwise stock.  Then, during the dark ages, I bought a Bushmaster M4 upper, an EOTech and an M4 stock and remodeled the rifle into a fighting carbine.

Now that we've emerged from the dark ages, I ordered a Mega lower from Ameetec and as soon as it arrives, I'll return the Colt to its original fixed-stock glory and still have a nice carbine.

If I could only choose one configuration, I'd stick with the collapsible-stock carbine, but I'm eagerly looking forward to once again having a full 20" heavy barrel rifle with a fixed stock and a scope.  It'll feel like having the best of both worlds.  The HBar will be a target & hunting rifle.  I believe the fixed stock belongs in that role, both for practical and aesthetic reasons.

I see a 9mm carbine somewhere in my future, but I have a tendency to prefer a compact and agile weapon, so it will certainly get a telestock -- hopefully a Magpul M93A -- and will be an SBR some day for the same reason.

So even though my preference is toward the compactness of the collapsible stock, there will always be a place in my safe for a traditional full fixed stock rifle and I'll love them both equally.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top