Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 10:04:00 AM EDT
I'm looking into buying a semi auto military style rifle for target shooting. I now own a Rem. 700 in 30.06 that I feed handloads. I want a semi auto with sub 1 moa acccuracy. I was looking at the AR 10 until I found a website that showed cast AL  AR 10s blowing apart when chambered for 308. Where I live we have a constant 10 to 20 mph wind all the time. I like the Bushmaster Varmint rifle but have no experience with the 223 round.  I need some pro and cons from guys who shoot both rounds. Who makes a good AR 10 target rifle? Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#1]
get an ar15... 223 is a wonderful caliber... its not expensive... its accurate and can be very lethal...   look into Rock River Arms they make some very nice SS barrel'd weapons... RRA is a very nice company

ar10's are bulky and heavy...  they typically aren't as reliable as ar15's and have been known to have magazine problems...   if you already handload the 6.5 grendal round may of be interest to you....  alexander arms makes it...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]

I was looking at the AR 10 until I found a website that showed cast AL AR 10s blowing apart when chambered for 308.

Are you sure this wasn't the DSArms site showing the Williams Arms FAL Alumabomb?  I certainly would like to see that link.  The lower receiver on the AR series of rifles doesn't contain the stress of firing, so I don't see how that would be possible.

At what distance are you shooting?  The longer the range the more the 308 will shine in terms of wind drift.  Personally, I'd get both, but I have more money than sense.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm looking into buying a semi auto military style rifle for target shooting. I now own a Rem. 700 in 30.06 that I feed handloads. I want a semi auto with sub 1 moa acccuracy. I was looking at the AR 10 until I found a website that showed cast AL  AR 10s blowing apart when chambered for 308. Where I live we have a constant 10 to 20 mph wind all the time. I like the Bushmaster Varmint rifle but have no experience with the 223 round.  I need some pro and cons from guys who shoot both rounds. Who makes a good AR 10 target rifle? Any help appreciated.

AR10s DO NOT "blow apart" unless you handload and use pistol powder or do something else really stupid.

Please post a link to that, would you?

Anyway, the AR10(T) by www.armalite.com/ will get you want you want.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]
With that much wind you will have better luck with the AR10. With the AR15 you would need to shoot the 77gr or 80gr that requires at least a 1-8 barrel twist.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
My mistake it was a dsa website and it sure made a heck of a mess out of that rifle
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
You can't compare an aluminum FAL receiver to an AR10 receiver.  The design is totally different.  The headspace of the FAL is determined by a locking shoulder in the lower which bears the rearward force until it unlocks.

A properly build AR15 or AR10 with a good barrel will shoot 1MOA or better with good ammo.  The AR10 is much larger and heavier, and more expensive to shoot.  Two similarly configured rifles for comparison:

AR15-
[ link to larger image ]

AR10-
[ link to larger image ]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the pictures. I have looked at so many different rifles on the net they are all merging into one giant mass of confusion. I think the 308 is the way to go. Ammo is no problem as I only shoot a couple hundred rounds a month. One question the modified M 14 magazine seems to be the mag of choice, are they hard to convert?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Just buy the right mags from Armalite for $39 a piece.  The price ought to come down a little bit over time.

-z
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a theoretical fan of the AR-10, and a practical fan of the AR-15.
There is no circumventing the price for a QUALITY AR-10 other than buying an Eagle Arms, because all other competitors are IMO cheap and/or without years of experiency in AR-10 manufacturing. If cost/quality is the concern then you have no business getting an AR-10 (get a good FAL).  Armalite, the forerunner of the AR-10 has an outstanding warranty policy which if you watch the AR-10 forums you need because Many many rifles go back to the shop at least once for something.

Having said that you need three critical elements to pursue the AR-10

1. A good use for 7.62 over other rounds (A love for the BANG, may suffice so long as the reason is good to you)

2. A specific attraction/obsession with the AR-10. I can accept that a tweaked AR-10 could outshoot the hell out of it's competition in the 7.62/.308 market, but there are more reliable AND far less expensive designs that will outshoot most of us as they are.

3. $$$$  If you are going to do an AR-10 it has to be done right which means (today at least) an Eagle Arms or an Armalite. One is pricey, albeit reasonable, the other is shocking (but the warranty makes up for some of that). Then you have to factor in mag and part costs etc. So love and $ for this specific platform is required

If you don't have all three of these I suggest an AR-15 and/or a FAL. Hell if you do it right you can probably come in around the price of an AR-10 for both the AR & FAL!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Another alternative is to have somebody who builds accurate rifles for a living build you an AR10, such as JP Enterprises or GA Precision.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both an Armalite AR-10(t) Carbine and a RRA Varmint 16.  Each has its purpose, in my opinion.  I primarily hunt with both of my AR's so it's just a matter of what my game is.  Deer hunting: AR-10.  Coyotes, bobcats, spotlighting for rabbits, plinking, zombies: AR-15.

Honestly, I usually pick up the AR-15 first when i'm at the range simply because the ammo is much cheaper.   But it's nice to have the option....

Good luck and keep reading here....  it'll make your mind up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
3. $$$$  If you are going to do an AR-10 it has to be done right which means (today at least) an Eagle Arms or an Armalite. One is pricey, albeit reasonable, the other is shocking (but the warranty makes up for some of that). Then you have to factor in mag and part costs etc. So love and $ for this specific platform is required

If you don't have all three of these I suggest an AR-15 and/or a FAL. Hell if you do it right you can probably come in around the price of an AR-10 for both the AR & FAL!!!

I don't get this...you can get an Armalite AR10A4 for $1200. Springfield M1A and DSA SA58 will both start at $1200 and go up from there. I don't see a big price difference.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#13]
It's easier and cheaper to build an accurate AR10 than it is an M1A (doable, just expensive) or FAL (pointless).

Since the AR10 has the same basic design as an AR15, all you really need for it to be accurate is a quality barrel and good headspace.

The M1A needs all sorts of modifications for "match" form, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone guaranteeing 1MOA from an M1A for less than about $2500.

-z
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top