Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2004 8:15:39 AM EDT
does anyone have any problems with their rifle short-cycling? (Disallowing bolt from fully cycling)  I thought it could possibly be from ammunition, however, my other upper cycles the ammo fine.  Might anyone have any input on this issue??  Thanks for your advice, in advance.   Dan
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]
This can happen if you limp wrist the weapon - try a firmer grip and if that doesn't work, the gas port will need to open up a bit.  
HFG
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Also take a look at this thread, there's some good info on getting a short barrel to run well.

www.arfcom.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=153425
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
11.5 here for an awful long time.   Had to open the port when barrel was new (too small)...

inspect gas key for flat mating surface and those 2 small screws being tight, then "stake" the crap out of them.

Place 1 round in a mag, mag into gun, and load,,,,, discharge the round.  Did the bolt lock open on the empty mag?  Do this a couple of times.  If lock open, all should be fine.  If no lock open, look for port mis-align to sight base, or port being too small....  .080-.086 is typically the magic nummber on the gas port.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I've encountered the same problem!

First, go to the troubleshooting forum. Tweak has several threads in the FAQ that will allow you to systematically check your malfunction on a step-by-step basis. You'll save a whole bunch of time if you follow the directions.

Second, unless you're shooting M193, Q3131A, M855 or equivalent factory ammo you can't rule out your ammo just because it runs in another upper.

Third, is this a new barrel installation? Everything else checks ok? Polish your chamber!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
New 11.5" Bushy bbl, RRA flattop upper, Bushy Gas tube, Bushy bolt carrier group.  I haven't tried different ammo.  I'll give each of your methods a try.  Thanks for your input.  I'll let ya know.   -Dan
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top