Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 5:34:41 AM EDT
Hello all,

I'm new to ARs, and have a question about my first build.  I put a 6 position collapsable stock on, and there's some wobble between the buttstock and the buffer tube.  Is this normal?  It will move maybe 1/8 inch left and right.  It is a cheaper stock...just couldn't afford a VLTOR or Magpul right now.

How much should I worry about this affecting my sight picture?

Thanks for any help.

joe l.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Some wobble is normal.  Put a strip of electrical tape on the buffer tube, uder the stock, and you should be wobble-free.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Joe,

The only way to get a wobble free collapsible stock (without using tape) is to have a MilSpec extension tube and either a Vltor of Crane stock on it.  Or replace everything with a MagPull stock.  Depends on how mush you want to spend to have that "wobble free" stock.

good luck
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
magpul magpul magpul
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Vltor Vltor Vltor
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Since you have stated that you can't afford anything besides what you have at the moment - go with the tape advice.

And welcome to the site.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Vltor Vltor Vltor

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 It is a cheaper stock...just couldn't afford a VLTOR or Magpul right now.
l.

Its funny how many people have given up on reading posts and just resort to responding.

Go with taping the stock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Palo,

It is funny how that happens.  I did read that part though.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Palo,

It is funny how that happens.  I did read that part though.  

The comment wasn't directed towards you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
2-3 years when I first starting 'lurking' , members would have a problem or ask a question and they would get information - helpful information which was a direct answer to their question(s) or at least a resolution which could be pursued without yanking out the credit card .
I am dodging JDL1020's question - tape would work best , or if your wobble is east and west , try brushing some rubber cement on sqaured part of the buffer tube just a couple of inches in length will do , let it dry, you may have to do a couple of coats , it works better than the tape which has a tendency to roll up or slide under the tube making it tuff to open or close , the glue rolls up after a while but it solves the rattle for the here and now  .  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Thnx Palo

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
to those who say VLTOR VLTOR, MAGPUL, MAGPUL,

I Say

LMT Crane, LMT Crane!!

as for sighting....
That won't be affected, as the line up of the rear and front sight, will still be the same.

sounds contradicting but, it isn't

Huh?

no, really
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I put a 6 position collapsable stock on, and there's some wobble between the buttstock and the buffer tube.  Is this normal?  It will move maybe 1/8 inch left and right.  
How much should I worry about this affecting my sight picture?

Thanks for any help.

Some rattle is normal.  Is it an RRA-type telestock?  If so, you have a quality stock and have no worries.  My best advice is to ignore the wobble.  I has no consequence on your accuracy, sight picture or cheek weld.

Now, if it's REALLY rattling around, maybe you should do something about it.  But if it's only 1/8 of an inch, this is normal.  I have 2 of these, both do it and I find it's pretty easy to ignore.  Good shooting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Another question to y'all:

I have an RRA 6 position telestock and tube. It has a little wobble. If I cough for a mil-spec buffer tube will I see an improvement in the wobble? Or do I have to have both a mil-spec tube and a crane stock??
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Since you have stated that you can't afford anything besides what you have at the moment - go with the tape advice.

And welcome to the site.

+1 (on both counts).
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
The tape helped mine ALOT.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks you all for the replies (and the welcomes to the site).

It is a RRA-type telestock.  The wobble isn't horrible, it was just that being unfamiliar with that type of set-up, I wasn't sure if it was "normal" or not, or how much it would affect cheek weld, etc.  

I did get time to shoot the rifle this weekend, and there is definitely zero problems with the stock affecting accuracy.  The rifle (a Fulton Armory M4gery with ARMS 40 rear sight, Aimpoint ML2 is on the way) shot very well from a bench, and will probably shoot better than what I'm capable of.

FWIW, eventually (funds permitting) a better stock will go on it (probably a VLTOR).  And since I'll then have an extra stock lying around, I guess I'll just have to build up another AR around it, right?hanks
joe l.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#18]
This was posted by member viper5194, in another thread concerning the same subject:

Most people would not do this to there new stock unless they knew it would work, BUT if your carefull you can use vise grips and bend the edge of the tube along the 6 holes outward on both sides just enough to actualy snug the stock to the tube. It works quit well. i have a M4 stock i received from EE and it rattle like a train. I bent the edges and now its quiet and tight. If you do it right, you wont even be able to notice it once the stock is back on the tube.
There are a couple other posts after this that reported good results.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top