Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2004 7:54:15 PM EDT
Is is safe to use the bolt carrier from one AR in an other?  I can't think of a reason why it would be unsafe, but I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope not... I did this the other day. Nothing blew up, so fingers crossed.  I think its the bolt that THEORETICALLY should not be swapped, but even then it seems unlikely to me that this would cause a problem. Others here will be able to give a better answer than me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Carriers are fine I swaped all mine out for RRA closed bottom ones.Bolts should not be swapped out and if there is a question about a bolt just pick up a new one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Even bolts can be swapped, but you didnt hear that from me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

the big concern is the bolt not the bolt carrier
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't want the lawyer of somebody who had a kaboom coming around my place. Seriously though, I know of LOTS of rifles that arent headspaced individually. They grab a bolt from the bucket and install it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I meant bolt/carrier assembly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Headspacing is not done on the carrier - not to worry.  If you are picky then you mate bolt carriers and bolts to specific uppers so they wear together and all that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad to know that. I was thinking of changing my chromed bolt carrier on my DPMS to a phospahated one.

h.gif
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#10]
What about changing out barrel AND bolt head?  Would that have a greater risk of headspacing changes?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
If I use a new bolt with a used carrier(in excellent condition) in a new upper, it should be fine?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:05:56 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 It's ok to swap the Bolts from rifle to rifle as long as you check the head space.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1 It's ok to swap the Bolts from rifle to rifle as long as you check the head space.

Is there any way to do this with out a gauge?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is there any way to do this with out a gauge?

I was going to ask that. How do you check the head space? Is there a web site that shows it done? I don't trust the gun shop to do it here. I had him bore sight a scope and I was over 1' off the paper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#17]
How do you use a Go-No Go and/or a Go Gauge?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#18]
'No-go' gauges should NOT allow the bolt to fully close and 'go' gauges should allow the bolt to close fully.  This means correct head space.

You insert the 'no-go' gauge and if the bolt will go closed, then you have excess head space.  If the bolt will not go closed on the 'go' gauge, then you have to little head space.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]
From the Maryland AR-15 Shooters website:

Q: How do I Headspace an AR-15?

A: Courtesy of LTC Santose

99% of any "concern" about headspacing is based on a lack of knowledge about what headspace is and does. Unless you take a grinder to the bolt, or fire several thousand rounds of ammunition on AUTO, you can't induce dangerous headspace. The Army, which fires a zillion rounds a year has one (1) gage. Gage, headspace, field. That's it.

If you buy commercial barrels and bolts from Bushmaster or Colt's you don't need to worry -- or even THINK -- about headspace. Unless you've fired several thousand rounds of ammunition you don't need to worry -- or even THINK -- about headspace other than an ANNUAL check with the field gage. Reserve units only do it every two years. If the bolt closes on the field gage you fit a new bolt. If it closes you fit a new barrel and use the OLD bolt. If that fails use a new bolt and new barrel. No GO or NO-GO checking, just FIELD. There's no concern about a NEW bolt in an old barrel. Heck it's going to be larger -- no wear -- than the old bolt and there will be less headspace.

Do NOT use commercial gages.

Gages are specific to the RIFLE (or other weapon) not the caliber. A semiautomatic AR15 or M16 uses the M16 gage.

Note by Forest: You can ream a chamber of a 4140 or stainless barrel to 'adjust' headspacing. But only on NON-Chrome lined barrels. Chrome lined barrels can have their headspacing adjusted at the factory (requires tweaking the barrel extension). Not a job for an individual or gunsmith. If your new barrel doesn't headspace with your bolt, then send the barrel back!

There's quite a bit of useful info on their website that should be here at ar15.com but surprisingly is not - especially with the influx of new people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
From the Maryland AR-15 Shooters website:

Thanks!  That helps a lot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I've decided to go with a new bolt assembly in my old carrier which will be put in a new upper.  All Bushmaster parts.  From what I understand, Bushmaster head spaces their stuff before it leaves them.  I should be fine, right?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#23]
USPC40, what the hell is that thing on your avatar?  That's f'ing gross.

I moved a couple of bolts around between several barrels and not seen any trouble, then I finally got a gauge set and checked evrything out.  Nothing looked bad.  That's not going to say you'll have the same luck I did.  

If you're worried about it, get a gauge.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
USPC40, what the hell is that thing on your avatar?  That's f'ing gross.

Mighty Cthulhu.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top