Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2004 4:03:25 PM EDT
Do you change magazines with the left hand, while holding the rifle by the pistol grip into your shoulder, and then switch hands, left hand on the handguard to hold the rifle while pulling the charging handle with your right hand? or do you change magazines with your left hand, and then hold the rifle out  with your right hand supporting the weight by the grip, and pull the charging handle with your left hand? My 20" AR was too heavy for me to hold one handed to do it the latter way, but my new M4gery is light enough to do so, which I think is a little faster and easier to do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If your doing a tac load there is still a round in the chamber and no need to manipulate the charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't the bolt stay open w/ the last shot?  All you have to do is change the mag then slap the bolt shut and you'd be ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
oh, I didn't know that was the term for reloading with a round in the chamber. What I meant was reloading in a tactical situation, as opposed to just casually doing it at the bench...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Doesn't the bolt stay open w/ the last shot?  All you have to do is change the mag then slap the bolt shut and you'd be ready to go.

well if the bolt was closed, like loading for the first time on an empty chamber, or if there was a jam or something where you needed to pull the charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If your doing a tac load there is still a round in the chamber and no need to manipulate the charging handle.

+1  SOP
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just make sure either you set it to "safe" or take your finger off the trigger while reloading.  Nothing more embarassing than shooting yourself in the foot.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
A tactial re-load is where you exchange your partially depleted mag with a fully loaded one.  During a lull in the fight and when you have time and ability to do so, topping off is a good idea.  Assuming you are holding the rifle grip with your right hand:
1. with your left hand grab your fresh mag with bullets indexed on your index finder
2. drop the partial mag out of the gun and into your palm grabing it between your middle and ring fingers
3. curl your wrist to take the partial mag out
4. slilde the fresh mag into place with one smooth firm motion
5. put the partial into your pocket or pouch if that is the only mag going in there
All the while the rifle should be kept with cheek wlede to the stock

A speed re-load or emergency reload is where you dump an empty mad and replace with a loaded one.  Having this condition is not all that bad if you are in a fight as you;d want to keep shooting until dry.  More rounds thrown at the enemy the better.  but it is not a desireable condition to be empty when you should be shooting.  Assuming you are holding the rifle grip with your right hand:
1. drop the mag
2. at the same time reaching back for a fresh mag with your left hand grab your fresh mag with bullets indexed on your index finder
3. slilde the fresh mag into place with one smooth firm motion

One of the several immediate action drills to do is when there is a failure to feed (type I malfunction).  This is most commonly caused by a mag that does not get seated all the way in and the bolt does not strip the next round after firing the one in the chamber.  This is most common after inserting a fully loaded mag and the shooter hasn't overcome the spring tension in the mag that is fully loaded.
1. slap the bottom of the mag
2. simultaniously rotate the rifle to the firing port side and grab the charging handle with the support side hand and then rack the bolt.

so to answer the question that I think is trying to be asked, with the left hand if your right hand is the one holding the grip.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
In that case, if the bolt is locked open palm the side of the rifle hitting the release.  It is fast and you do not have to move your head out of the way of the charging handle.

If the bolt did not lock back then continue supporting the rifle with the strong hand and using the support hand manipulate the CH.  You will keep the rifle shouldered and just move you head out of the way for a brief moment.

If I am shooting right handed, I only grab the latch portion of the CH.  If shooting left handed, I use a two finger grip on the CH with my support hand.  In either case the hand manipulating the trigger never breaks a combat grip on the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just make sure either you set it to "safe" or take your finger off the trigger while reloading.  Nothing more embarassing than shooting yourself in the foot.  

I dunno about you but I don't keep my finger on the trigger unless I am ready to shoot.  Not to mention who the heck lets the muzzle point at their feet when changing mags?  It should be pointed downrange.

For this I submit one more
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I always charge my rifle with my left hand while shooting with my right during fire IF I have to charge it... Which I should not have to, especially in a TACTICAL reload (bullet still left in gun)...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do you change magazines with the left hand, while holding the rifle by the pistol grip into your shoulder, and then switch hands, left hand on the handguard to hold the rifle while pulling the charging handle with your right hand? or do you change magazines with your left hand, and then hold the rifle out  with your right hand supporting the weight by the grip, and pull the charging handle with your left hand? My 20" AR was too heavy for me to hold one handed to do it the latter way, but my new M4gery is light enough to do so, which I think is a little faster and easier to do.

Do yourself a favor and check out www.fireinstitute.org You will learn a HUGE amount of information on handling a carbine, including how to do a proper tactical reload. $ well spent if you are serious about learning how to use your rifle.

Several folks from this sight have trained with Fire. Also check out the Tactics and Training forum. As you are in PA, this place is a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

come on now, you were all rookies at one point
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Assuming you are shooting right handed, I thought the only time the right hand left the pistol grip was when you slung the puppy or went to a handgun. I work all the AR15 controls with my left hand, magazine changes also.

See, for you perverts out there, I added "AR15" in front of controls. I know if I hadn't there would have been some rude comments about that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
get a bolt release from krista at RB Precision, and you can close the bolt with your trigger finger
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
get a bolt release from krista at RB Precision, and you can close the bolt with your trigger finger

Not on a fighting carbine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

In a high stress situation, it is much easier, and more reliable, to smack the standard bolt release with the heal of your hand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A tactial re-load is where you exchange your partially depleted mag with a fully loaded one.  During a lull in the fight and when you have time and ability to do so, topping off is a good idea.  Assuming you are holding the rifle grip with your right hand:
1. with your left hand grab your fresh mag with bullets indexed on your index finder
2. drop the partial mag out of the gun and into your palm grabing it between your middle and ring fingers
3. curl your wrist to take the partial mag out
4. slilde the fresh mag into place with one smooth firm motion
5. put the partial into your pocket or pouch if that is the only mag going in there

No.

This kind of mag juggling WILL result in dropped mags and unsuccessfiul reloads when performed under stress 100% of the time.

For magazine-fed rifles:

Remove partially depleted magazine and stow it in pouch or pocket (different location from fully loaded mags)
Insert fresh mag.

Simple, all gross motor skills, reliable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top