Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 3:58:32 PM EDT
I have a 16" Bushmaster "post-ban" and want to replace it with a 16" no ban.  Are here any issues I need to know before starting.  I read the proceedure on another post and the project seems easy enough.  Are there going to be any problems installing?  Performance problems?  Please help.  I can send my upper to Bushmaster but I don't want to wait the 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
just make sure you have the right tools, and it should be a no-brainer.  Expect a little trouble getting a well-used gas tube out, and if you have some time, I'd order one to have around just in case.  The only other problem I had was that I started by using an old style upper receiver block that did not allow for the A3 upper rails, when I swapped from an A2 to an A3 upper.   Had to go get the right one from a freind.  

Tex78
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It's pretty freakin EZ!  I was surprised.  I recommend the panther claw, from personal experience I like it better than an action block, but both work well enough.  Bushmaster knowledge base has some good info as well.  Especially some preemptive knoweldge on possible problems, mostly stemming from over-torqueing.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I swapped barrels in an afternoon, never did it before; it was quite easy.  As mentioned above, the right tools are a must, i.e., an action block or similar type clamp for the upper; a combo barrel wrench, external snap ring pliers; a Bernzomatic propane torch, a vise and a front sight base clamp (or heavy padding) and a 1/16" punch.

The torch will help remove the stuck gas tube.  Secure the front sight base in an appropriate clamp or just use heavy padding to secure it in the vise when you torque the flash hider on.  Follow the instructions found on this sight and you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
With the right tools a barrel swap shouldnt take you more then 30 minutes if everything goes right. My first with no experiance doing them took me 15 minutes. i had all the tools but the vice. My boss let me bring my upper and tools to the Auto parts  store i work at  to use the vise. Had the new barrel on in 15 minutes an was on my way home to install the toys.  without spending money on a gas tube wrench, use a pair of pliers and rubber inner tube to grip the gas tube and move it. Dont crush it, just grab it hard enough to wiggle it or while holding the pliers tap the pliers with a hammer towards the receiver.  It really is simple......................
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top