Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2004 2:47:42 PM EDT
Out of curiosity, does anybody know if it is possible to take the black finish off an upper? I was kind of thinking about making an all-silver rifle (the no-black black rifle) and using the DPMS stainless lower with a stainless barrel. I don't think there are any companies that make a non-finished receiver but are there any solvents out there that will strip the finish down to the aluminum?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I say bead blasting, will remove finish.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Stripping the color also means stripping the anodized coating. Doing so will expose bare aluminum which is very soft. It will be subject to corrosion, scratching, pitting and will loose wear resistance. Depending on how much shooting you do, your fire control holes will eventually elongate and distort.

If you're hell-bent on removing the coating, make sure you have it clear-anodized afterwards. This will give you the silver color and will restore the properties inherent in anodizing.

All processes to remove the anodizing is destructive, whether it be bead blasting, sanding, or chemical removal. a weak solution of lye will remove anodizing. If using a chemical removal process you have to be careful as the process eats away at the anodization, and will eat at the raw aluminum once the anodization is dissolved. This will increase the size of all holes, in the lower. Becasue of this, it is usually only a 1 time process. Doing it too many times will destroy your lower.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, ok. I might just try using some of the aluminum painting/coating stuff from Brownells. Thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top