Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 11:01:39 AM EDT
I can't seem to find a shop that is willing to thread my AR for a f.s.  I would like to go with someone local in order to cut down on the time my rifle has to be away from me.

Anyone know of a shop that will do this in the Wichita Kansas area?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Nobody wants to thread my barrel...  

Ya got know womens there???? oops, sorry wrong topic  

Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
ADCO turn around time is 3-4 business days for standard barrel threading and front sight base swaps.

www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices.cfm

556man

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nobody wants to thread my barrel...  

Ya got know womens there???? oops, sorry wrong topic  

Mike

Mrs. Wedge takes care of that barrel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know about Wichita, but over in North Kansas City, you've got Denny from Global Tactical/Dennys Guns.  More than likely he could take care of you or point you in the right direction.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ADCO turn around time is 3-4 business days for standard barrel threading and front sight base swaps.

556man

Anyone ever use these guys?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

556man

They have one of mine right now.  There have been threads about them in the Rifles&Uppers forum - all with good remarks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IT'S A TRAP!

I suppose that I only have myself to blame for this kind of response.

Makes me laugh though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IT'S A TRAP!

Makes me laugh though.

I deem it not a trap!  It's obviously just another neutered barrel folks.  Nothing to see here... Move along.

Funny, I've heard the same thing from at least one "professional" gunsmith here in my city.  "Oh no. we don't do "that kind of work" here".  WTF?  They thread hunting rifles and install kick comps every fricken day.  Is there really that big a dif?  Perhaps it is a trap.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IT'S A TRAP!

Makes me laugh though.

I deem it not a trap!  It's obviously just another neutered barrel folks.  Nothing to see here... Move along.

Funny, I've heard the same thing from at least one "professional" gunsmith here in my city.  "Oh no. we don't do "that kind of work" here".  WTF?  They thread hunting rifles and install kick comps every fricken day.  Is there really that big a dif?  Perhaps it is a trap.

Sly

I called one here twice, the first time I only said that I had a rifle that I wanted threaded and a f.s. installed and they said 45 bucks.  The second time I called because I wanted to know what the turn around time would be I mentioned it was a AR and he said they don't have the tools to thread barrels.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If you don't wish to try the other why don't you give Denny a call. He's well respected on the boards and he's close to you (Kansas City Missouri actually).

I'm sure he'd take care of it as soon as possible if he's able to undertake the job.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

556man

Had them cut the barrel and permanently attach a phantom - turnaround was insanely quick and the quality was excellent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can't find anyone locally, you might give Earl Hickman (Hickman Rifles) in Colorado Springs, CO, a call.  He does great work with this kind of stuff, and has the mandrels for chucking the barreled receiver in a lathe to cut the threads.

(719) 633-4680, if you're interested.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

556man

Very very good dudes...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

556man

Got my rifle there . The uper is going back as soon as RRA gets my tower here .
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah and the dude was going to charge me a hundred freakin bucks screw that guy and I wasnt even going to get it parkerized ( I still hate that word)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#18]
ADCO did mine and the turn around time from when I shipped it to when I received it was a little over a week. I am very pleased with their work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I know a guy in Tulsa that did mine for 45 bucks.  He does good work.   I am sure there is a machine shop or hobby builder in you're area that can do it.  It is just a matter of asking around until you find the guy that knows where to send you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Send it to Kurt's Kustom and be done with it.  It will cost you $45 including a repark.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I know a guy in Tulsa that did mine for 45 bucks.  He does good work.   I am sure there is a machine shop or hobby builder in you're area that can do it.  It is just a matter of asking around until you find the guy that knows where to send you.

I was gonna suggest a machine shop, myself. If you know the thread size and pitch, it should be a simple matter for a decent machine shop to chuck the barrel into a lathe and thread it. Of course, finding a machine shop that will work on guns, especially "EVIL BLACK ONES", might be harder than finding a gunsmith to do it. There do, however, seem to be more machine shops around than gunsmiths! Give it a try, you might get lucky!

Bub
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top