Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2004 6:43:22 AM EDT
First off I'm 99% sure I'm going Mid-Length. Secondly, ever since I bought a harris bipod for my rem 700 I'm completely sold on their usefulness. You can be walking in a field or in the woods and if you need to shoot, bam, you got something to shoot from.  I'd like to put on on the mid-length. I know someone has done this, how is the fit? Is there enough room for your hands? I don't really want a vert grip. Also, IS THERE A BIPOD THAT TAKES UP LESS HANDGUARD REAL ESTATE THAN A HARRIS? Thanks yall.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Doc, you asked about my rig and what you said applies to my rifle.  There is enough room for proper hand position and a bipod installed, but those that follow will say, "Why have all that extra weight on a carbine!  You will never need a bipod to shoot a carbine!".  Take it for what it's worth and consider the source and make you own decision.  

The Versa-Pod takes up a little less space and may be what you are looking for.  It also has a quasi-hand stop built into it.  It will have your bipod sit a little forward of your handguard also.

OR you could use a Harris, like I did and still be OK for what you want.  Mine is installed more for picture posing than anything else, but I sight in all my rifles with either a bipod or bag, so if it has a rail, it likely gets sighted in with a bipod.  With the PRI tube, there wouldn't be enough room for a FVG and a bipod, but other rail systems like KAC, DD, LaRue, etc. have more rail real estate for mounting multiple accessories.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
On an armalite tube you will have about 6" from the tilt tension screw on the harris to the mag well.    
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the Versa Pod.  It's not as fandangoly as the swivel Harris units but it's quick to deploy, and it's mount puts it further out down the barrel which I like pretty well.  Beats lugging sandbags to the range too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top