Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2004 5:32:23 PM EDT

Last week I ordered a Bushmaster M4 from a local dealer.  Hopefully I will have it by the end of this week.  However, I have a good friend who is currently in Afghanistan, who emailed me asking me to buy an M4 for him when he returns on leave.  He wants an exact M4 copy, and the Bushmaster certainly fits the bill.

I have been wanting to build my own custom gun for a while now, and here is an opportunity.  I can sell the Bushmaster to my buddy in a few months, and build my own perfect carbine from the ground up.

What do you recommend?  I don't know anything about putting in the trigger parts, or even how to install/uninstall a buttstock.  I would, however, certainly like to put one together slowly, exactly like I like it.

Is a build more trouble and more costly than a 'stock' weapon?  Keep in mind here, mine will be very similar to a normal M4 either way.  No flashy VLTOR stock, or fluted barrel, or anything.

I will probably get the new Magpul pistol grip, an A3 upper, some excellent BUIS, and possibly an upgraded trigger, is what I am thinking right now.

What say all of you?

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased one of those do it yourself AR DVDs.
Putting together other peoples parts don't look too difficult.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Build it yourself... you will be happy. Just don't skimp on what you want on it...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Two words:  Bushmaster Video
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Two words:  Bushmaster Video

Two more words for you...

BUSHMASTER DVD

And, after watching the video, you will see that it will be about the easiest project ever.

Even after buying an upper receiver block vise and a barrel wrench, you will still come out cheaper.
Hell, I even bought a 5" vise at Tractor Supply for $28.00, which will help with more projects than just the AR.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Print up the instructions on this site, and read through them a few times.  It will give you a good idea of what you are in store for.  It is an adult version of a snap-together model, it is really very easy.

There is a broad range of support here people here in the Build forum, and you will find that you learn a great deal about your weapon that you never knew of before.  A typical "kit" comes with the upper already assembled, but building the upper isn't exactly rocket science, so feel free to look around, ask questions, and make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My Son turns one next week and I am thinking about getting him a kit for him to build when he turns three or four... Just kidding... but they are easy...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Its not cheaper. The $$ you saved is put into the proper tools to complete the rifle. It is, however, a learning experience that gives you an uncanny ability to care for your rifle.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
my friend built his ,I did not ,mine will run wolf ammo ,his will not
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out the "Build it yourself forum" and look for the posts started by FALARAK
They have pictures and instruction for building your own rifle, might be nice if they were stcikied to the top of the page.

A very informative and funny read is "The Famous Homo Erectus Barrel Mounting Method" by Homo_Erectus. You will find a link to it in one of FALARAK's How-to post

After checking out the how-to posts I will hopefully start building my own rifle from parts in the next few months. It doesn't seem as complicated as I once thought.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top