Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2004 10:58:36 AM EDT
Help me decide, I want chrome lining but it is only offered in the M-4. I also want mid-length handguard/gas system, but can't get the chrome lining with it!
I like the looks/reliability of the midlenghts, but also want the corrosion resistance of the chrome lining.
Input? Comments? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact www.adco.com.  I bought my RRA chrome lined midlength from them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the adco thing.  Check this thread out: adco on eq ex

A second option is giffman's group buy:  midlength 1:7 chrome lined

The other option, (which I like) is the midlength SS barrel.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
SS eh? didn't think about that...I wonder if I could get it blackened somehow...
SS vs. chrome how do they compare as far as corrosion? I assume SS is probably even better?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
SS eh? didn't think about that...I wonder if I could get it blackened somehow...
SS vs. chrome how do they compare as far as corrosion? I assume SS is probably even better?

Check with adco on that too.  I think I remember them offering something like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are you so hot for chrome? It provides a longer lasting bore, plus you don't have to clean it shortly after shooting. It also results in a slightly less accurate barrel.

The military uses it cause they can't always clean after shooting, fire literally, thousands and thousands of rounds through theirs. Chances are that you won't do either of these. So why sacrifice accuracy for something that won't benefit you?

Cause everyone else wants one? Check out the definition for "lemming".
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why are you so hot for chrome? It provides a longer lasting bore, plus you don't have to clean it shortly after shooting. It also results in a slightly less accurate barrel.

The military uses it cause they can't always clean after shooting, fire literally, thousands and thousands of rounds through theirs. Chances are that you won't do either of these. So why sacrifice accuracy for something that won't benefit you?

I don't know about you, but I cannot tell the difference in accuracy between chromed and not chromed.  But then again I don't compete.

Plus increased probability for reliability is always a good thing.  But it really is just a matter of preference.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Before you call someone a lemming, maybe you ought to learn something about them. I want corrosion resistance because I am in the military, the Marine Corps actually. this means I travel to odd places at odd times for what is sometimes a very prolonged amount of time. This also means my personal weapons sit in my el cheapo safe at home with no one to watch after them. I have returned from places to find my older blued guns a damn wreck, that required hours to clean up. I'd like to keep my AR as nice as possible, chrome or SS is the way to go for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The military uses it cause they can't always clean after shooting, fire literally, thousands and thousands of rounds through theirs. Chances are that you won't do either of these.

Speak for yourself.  I buy chrome because I don't want to have to clean my AR after every trip to the range and because I go through a few thousand rounds a year in my ARs.  Stainless is great for a match barrel, but it doesn't handle high heat as well when you increase the rate of fire.  Ask a metallurgist for the details but it has something to do with how the sulfur in the alloy transfers heat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go for the midlength (reduced), unless you've some compelling reason (grenade launcher) to get the M4 profile. The gas system improvement is very nice and noticable.

I don't care about chrome here, since it's not exactly a humid environment. I don't clean my bore all that often either. I guess if your circumstance warrants it, go for it. Otherwise, save your money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Another recommendation for ADCO's chrome-lined mid-length.   I couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Got one more question: if I get a mid length, can I, at a later date send it to a good smith to get a gov. profile under the handguards? or is that something done only during the manufacture?
Thanks again for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Got one more question: if I get a mid length, can I, at a later date send it to a good smith to get a gov. profile under the handguards? or is that something done only during the manufacture?
Thanks again for all the info guys.

A lathe works the same way on a used barrel as it does on a new one.  You can send it to a smith to be turned down to a smaller profile anytime you want... or you can go to Adco and buy it with the reduced profile from the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool, thanks. Sorry I keep forgetting to mention I already placed an order with RB precision, and I'm on a tight budget so I can't do everything I'd like right now! By the time I get the chrome lining, the gov. profile etc. from ADCO I'd be for more than what I can afford right now. Thanks again for all the advice though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cool, thanks. Sorry I keep forgetting to mention I already placed an order with RB precision, and I'm on a tight budget so I can't do everything I'd like right now! By the time I get the chrome lining, the gov. profile etc. from ADCO I'd be for more than what I can afford right now. Thanks again for all the advice though.

So what did you end up ordering.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally I ordered the M-4 (entry tactical) chromelined. Then I got to thinking that:
1. I'd like to spend less
2. the 16" of barrel looks a little wierd to me.
So I got the mid length, for a fair amount less, and will put some CLP in a spraybottle and remind the wife to spray my stuff down once a month while I'm gone! (Maybe she'll actually do it this time)
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Go Chrome or Go Home........
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's the best part of the AR, you can buy a little at a time as you can afford it and assemble it all yourself.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure 'nuff
gotta love the AR's
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]
RolandofGilead & Hoplophile:

Good reasons both for going with chrome. To many people want something only because that is the rage. They frequently have little, if any, idea why the item is beneficial.

RolandofGilead: I didn't have any idea that you were military, that was why I asked why you wanted it. Didn't mean to offend. I also didn't mean to infer that you were a lemming. That was a jab at those who do gotta have something simply cause everyone else has it.

I have no doubt that the M4 variant is a perfectly logical design for the military, they actually do hang grenade launchers (are they still M203s?) on the things. I have not been able to discern any practical reason why some of my fellow police officers just GOTTA HAVE AN M4 design. Only reason I can see is that it is cool. (Which in itself is as good a reason as any.)

I can definately relate to those blued guns getting nasty. I have a couple of safe queens that have been sitting longer than many of the people on this board have been alive. I still have to pull them out periodically to wipe em down and remove that light surface rust that always seems to pop up.

Hang tough out there, most of us (maybe not senator kerry and some of his pals) are damn proud of those of you who are in the military. Did my time in the peace time army '74-'77.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have not been able to discern any practical reason why some of my fellow police officers just GOTTA HAVE AN M4 design. Only reason I can see is that it is cool. (Which in itself is as good a reason as any.)

CDI* is an important factor in the decision making process, even if those of us outside the military have so little use for the grenade launcher.  For a while the M4 was about the only option for a chrome lined, well made, lightweight carbine barrel and that's why I originally bought the one I sold last year.  But there are plenty of options available these days that meet those requirements.  

(* Chicks Dig It)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Copper54, no offence taken, it's hard sometimes 'cause you can't type things the way you really mean them ya know? thats why I like these smily thingies. Anyways thanks for your service too, peace time or not doesn't matter. Thanks for all the good info everyone! I'll be sure to post a pic over in the pic thread once it's all done.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top