Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 9:18:22 AM EDT
This would be my first ever AR, so I am looking for some feedback. After browsing the site this is what I have come up with for the initial setup. A SIRS handguard, and optics would come later. Is this a quality setup?

16" 5.56mm Assembled Upper from Model1Sales $375 shipped
 - A3 Style
 - Welded Phantom Flash Hider
 - Removable Carry Handle
 - Match Front Sight
 - M4 Handguard
 - Bolt & Carrier

LMT LEO Lower $??
 - Hogue Grip

Magpul M93 Collapsible Stock $??
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't need to weld on the Phantom if you're going to have a 16"barrel. You don't really need a match front sight but if you want to spend an extra $8 bucks to get one then go for it.  A3  is a good idea, no need to buy aditional mounts for scopes/optics.  M4 handguards are nice.  5.56mm will be good to start with but sooner or later you'll want something bigger like a 6.5 Grendel,6.8RemSPC or .300 Fireball. Other then the first two coments I'd say it sounds like a nice build.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You don't need to weld on the Phantom if you're going to have a 16"barrel. You don't really need a match front sight but if you want to spend an extra $8 bucks to get one then go for it.  A3  is a good idea, no need to buy aditional mounts for scopes/optics.  M4 handguards are nice.  5.56mm will be good to start with but sooner or later you'll want something bigger like a 6.5 Grendel,6.8RemSPC or .300 Fireball. Other then the first two coments I'd say it sounds like a nice build.  

Why no flash hider?

And I like the look of the match sight,.......I was thinking about going 6.8SPC its only 30 bux more, but I want to be able to shoot it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
TNFrank means that with a 16-inch barrel, the flash suppressor doesn't have to be permanently attached. You'd be able to swap muzzle attachments at will, legally, with a 16-inch or longer barrel.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]
He said you dont have to "weld" or have it pinned and welded...only if you go with a 14.5 barrel..then it has to be perm pinned for OAL 16 in.

Definitely get one...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why no flash hider?

And I like the look of the match sight,.......I was thinking about going 6.8SPC its only 30 bux more, but I want to be able to shoot it!

I didn't say "no flash hider" I said you don't have to weld it on if you're getting a 16" barrel.  You can just screw it on and go, no need to weld it. If you were getting a 14.5" M4 barrel then you'd need to weld it so it'd be permatly attached but with a 16" there's no need.  
As far as the sights, I think one of the main differences is that instead of 4 elevation notches it'll have 8 so you'll have a finer adjustment and I think it may be thinner too.  I'm using optics 99% of the time on my rifle so irons are more for emergency then anything else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool thx for the info.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditch the carry handle and go straight to a rear Backup Iron site.

Personally I would give the upper more attention then the lower, ie chrome-lined low-profile barrel.

Even if I had to spent less on the lower (you can get a good forged lower for a pretty good price) and stock( there's nothing wrong with a RR 6 pos collapable and for the price you'd save you could upgrade your upper). Then you could save up later for the M93.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ditch the carry handle and go straight to a rear Backup Iron site.

Personally I would give the upper more attention then the lower, ie chrome-lined low-profile barrel.

Even if I had to spent less on the lower (you can get a good forged lower for a pretty good price) and stock( there's nothing wrong with a RR 6 pos collapable and for the price you'd save you could upgrade your upper). Then you could save up later for the M93.

Where would you suggest I buy the upper?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Model 1 Sales has chromed lined uppers, your best bet is to just get one of their kits, it's cheaper in the long run, you could go with one of their 16" M4A3 kits with a chrome lined bore, put a ARMS #40a on the upper for your BUIS, go with the standard front sight/gas block(of course I really like my Yankee Hill folding front, keeps it down out of the line of sight when using my optics) you can also order your kit with a Phantom FH. Carry handles are alittle much to pack around for a BUIS, too much weight for an emergency sighting system, too many good back up rear sights for about the same price to bother with  a carry handle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top