Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 8:52:51 PM EDT
Have a J&T upper that has an A2 flash hider on it, installed from factory.  Trying to remove it, the thing won't budge.  Tried putting a metal bar through the slots as a cheater, but still did not work.  Flash hider is toast, but I don't want to mess up the barrel.  Any idea how to remove this thing?  I don't feel like getting a barrel vise just to remove it.  Drill it off?  Heat?  Hacksaw?  Secret code?  Hmmm.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep trying with the metal bar, thats always worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What should I secure the barrel with to generate the neccesary force?  I really don't want to mess up the barrel or handguards.  Thanks.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
This Or This  Or if you really don't want to buy one of these wrap the handgrads with somthing to protect them and clamp it in at the handgards, just be careful not to tighten the vise too much and smash the handgards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
... These are NOT rusted bolts on an old Ford in your backyard. You can negatively affect performance of your rifle by over torquing (either on or off). Don't fuck up your rifle, I would try a little heat. It appears J&T may have used a bonding agent, if that's the case 250° to 350° F will do the trick.

... Or you can ignore me and find a longer cheater bar
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Put the FSB against a desk or something so that it pushes into it when you twist.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a crescent wrench on the flats of the FS, and hold on to the receiver while I twist, worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Winston-  would not dream of ignoring you.  Already fucked up the flash hider, I do NOT intend to tank the barrel.  Will try application of a little heat.  Rather peeved that JT would do this.  Was a preban after all.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
A good trick I have used is to take some hardwood and drill out a hole exactly the diameter of the barrel, then cut the block in two. Now you have a hardwood barrel vise. Probably won't last through 5 barrel clamps, but it'll work for one FH removal and it won't hurt your finish.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree sith Winston_ put some heat on it..they could have used some type of locktite or epoxy. after removing the set screw on my FH I had to heat the epoxy to remove it totally

Rob
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure the flash supressor is not permanently attached? I had a J&T upper that had a muzzle brake attached with a blind pin. I had to dremel the underside of the brake to expose the pin and then unscrew it. But it usually takes the proper tools. I don't think I could have taken it off if I didn't have an action block and armorer's wrench (not to mention the dremel).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I would hope it was not permanently attatched.  It was sold as a preban, so if they pinned the flash hider they owe me a new upper.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This Or This  Or if you really don't want to buy one of these wrap the handgrads with somthing to protect them and clamp it in at the handgards, just be careful not to tighten the vise too much and smash the handgards.

DONT EVER use an action block to install/remove a tight muzzle device.  You will damage your receiver/cant your barrel by putting all that force on the tiny indexing pin and aluminum reveiver slot.  Use vise blocks on the barrel, or vise the FSB between wood blocks....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, the heat did not work.  Am now in the process of dremeling it off, but am worried about hitting the threads or the barrel itself.  This is very frustrating.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Aaaand hit the barrel.  I can't believe it.  Have I ruined the barrel?  Dremeled about 1/16" into the end of the barrel past the threads.  I don't know what the hell JT used, but this thing is really stuck on.  Not having a great day.

D-R
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#15]
This why there are gunsmiths. Now how much money did you save doing it your self?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Yup.  Lesson learned.  I suppose I should be shopping around for someone to undo my "oops."  Any suggestions?

thanks,
                                                                             D-R
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top