Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 8:22:39 PM EDT
I was as a recent gunshow, and grabbed what looked like a vortex.  Is there a way to tell if it's a genuine vortex?  It has no markings on it.  Does it matter? (if there are fakes, do they work as well)  I can't host a pic since hunt101 won't allow uploads (for several weeks now).

The slots/prongs on this thing are straight (not helical), but the slots are tangent to the bore axis (if that makes sense).
Thanks for any help.

ETA found alternate host:
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#1]
looks real, but then there have been several variations and Smith has never marked them.

if it was $15 or $20 it's probably a fake... which means it might work, but might not hold up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Could be real, but i have not seen that sharp a bevel on the front of the device before.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Could be real, but i have not seen that sharp a bevel on the front of the device before.

Same here.

Just got this one from G & R.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
i had one just like it and smith ent. said it was fake. and i also got it at a show. i have since replaced it with a real one and can see 0 flash
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I'll have to shoot it against an A2, when my no-ban barrel gets here from ADCO (the waiting is killing me).  Maybe I'll get some comparison pics with M193 on a cloudy day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If it eventually blossoms and breaks, it was probably real.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
It almost looks like this older version of the Vortex, but it does seem to have some distinct differences.  Don't know for sure.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top