Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 5:27:37 PM EDT
Alrighty, I know that AR-15 pistols questions have been asked over and over again but I have yet to finda definitive answer.

Well then, here's my situation, I'm a 19-year-old resident of Maine. No legal problems and what-not so I can legally purchase rifles. Now federal law won't allow me to purchase a handgun from a dealer BUT since I'm older than 18 I can legally possess a handgun.

Could I in theory legally build my own AR-15 pistol? If I were to buy a brand new, unused stripped lower receiver and had it marked as a rifle, yet built it into a legal AR-15 pistol through a Model 1 Sales pistol kit, would I be violating  any NFA or GCA rules? As far as I know if there is no way a buttstock can be attached and the receiver has never been used in a rifle it wouldn't be an SBR.

Any help would be greatly-appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's just say you go through with your plan and some happy-go-lucky JBT decides to ask you about your pistol. Since you could not buy it legally, who are you going to have vouch that they purchased the pistol?

If you decided to do it, I wouldn't go around advertising it on a public forum.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
When you buy the lower it has to be transferred as a pistol lower  - and since you cannot buy a handgun you would be attempting to violate the law.

If you buy it as a rifle lower and sombody checks up  on you (hey why is that 18 year old with that evil looking 'handgun') Then you've violated the NFA and in bug doo-doo (untaxed SBR - 10years/$10K, possesion of a NFA item by a person under 21 - another 10 years/$10K...).

Stick with rifles - when your turn 21 then you can make a handgun.

That or have your father buy the lower as a pistol and give it you as a gift (that is legal).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]
*points up to Forest*  Uhh Yup, what he said.  
+1
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure pistols have to be registered to someone.  Since you aren't 21, it can't be you.  When you get the receiver you will need to have the paperwork done as a pistol.  You could have a relative buy the receiver but I think that would be illegal (straw purchase) unless it was going to reside in their household and be lent to you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top