BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2004 4:52:29 PM EDT
I just got my postban barrel back from Adco for a flash hider install. Left the postban front sight as is, no bayo lug.

Didn't think i would need the bayonet, for me it would be just for looks anyway, How many of you did the same? just curious.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
At the moment I'm in no hurry to get a new front sight base or flash hider. I dumped some money into my barrel with KKF to get it turned down to M4 profile and have a A3 FFH installed, so I'll stay with it as is for now. I'm just happy to have my coll. stock finally!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just got my postban barrel back from Adco for a flash hider install. Left the postban front sight as is, no bayo lug.

Didn't think i would need the bayonet, for me it would be just for looks anyway, How many of you did the same? just curious.

I'm leaving my post ban 20" barrel with the front sight as is.  If I want post-post ban features, it'll be on my next rifle or next complete upper.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The inclusion of the bayonet lug in the past ban was the most retarded thing I have seen in law.  The pursuit of getting a bayonet lug on a rifle, IMHO, is equally retarded.  99.99% of us will never use it.  I see many people here selling off/giving away perfectly good barrels and the like in pursuit of a little lug that is nothing more than dead weight, albeit a small amount of dead weight, but dead weight nonetheless.  People justify the M4 cut as a weight saver and yet want a bayonet lug.  Go figure.  I'm bitching, but I'm buying, getting good products as I go.  Keep 'em coming!!

Ok, off my soapbox and off to the medicine cabinet for my meds.  I'll be better in a minute.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no plans to change. I don't forsee the need for one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 20" FF'd varminter setup I have no intentions of changing. I might have an A2 FH installed but messing with the FS tower just to get a lug on there is not worth the effort or $ to me.

My next build will surely have everything. Civilians don't really NEED a bayonet but there's no question that they're definitely cool to have.

Gunzer
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the tools on the way, I'm replacing my whole barrel on my bushmaster A2 with a  Govt profile no-ban 20" (thus getting the flash supressor and lug).  For me, it's purely a nostalgia thing, plus I just wanted to have all the tools for when i start building some kits.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two that I've changed, two that will remain unchanged and one that is unbuilt, but will have a bayo lug when I get around to putting it together.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The AR rifles make piss poor clubs, and equally poor bayonet platforms.

If you want to use a bayonet, get a mauser, or M1.  Both of these make excellent clubs and fantastic bayonet platforms.

You can buy a mauser for what a new front sight and flash hider/threading would cost.

Kurt will graft a lug onto your neutered sight base for 35 bucks...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my 6400C done by adco. 7 days from my door and back. No bayonet lug for me.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I only had two existing ARs.  I re-barrelled one, with a preban barrel.  The other is a 9mm carbine, and I'm gonna rebarrel it too.  Just because I can.  I'll probably never use a bayonet either.  But who the F cares?  I haven't been able to have one in the past 10 years, and now I can.  Gimme.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldnt mind a threaded barrel, but the bayonet lug is still useless to me.  I wouldnt put another barrel down though because it had one
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd like one so I would have somewhere to hang christmas ornaments or spare keys...

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
For me, the only REAL GOOD reason I can come up with is to irritate the anti crowd.  And while I am ALL FOR anything that does so, I still don't want to go thru the headache of getting them.  I won't need em.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Too much trouble to go through for something I will never use...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#16]
other than the "piss off the liberals" appeal, no not changing the one Ar that doesn't (it's a 11.5/5.5 barreled sp1)
the other 2 Ars do have the lugs
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with a jagged-ended phantom on my post-AWB conversion - I figure that'll work as a sticker in a pinch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#18]
For me the decision was aesthetic.

Take the first post-ban AK's for example, the bayonet lug was completely filed away rather than just the ears on the later post-bans...leaving a huge blank spot underneath the barrel.

The AR on the other hand has a barrel profile that looks fine with a lug completely gone.

So I am sticking with just the collapsable feature for my transformation into evilness.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree, a bayonet lug is useless.  Have we seen any of our soldiers in Afganistan or Iraq with "bayonets fixed"?  Have you ever seen a SWAT team using bayonets?  I have never seen anyone put a bayonet on a rifle except as a display at a gun show.  

I don't own a bayonet, don't want one... but I resent like hell any government telling me I can't have a bayonet lug.  And note, the AWB did not ban bayonets, just the "mount" for a bayonet.  

No one should potentially go to prison for a lump of metal.

Question... if a bayonet lug is so bad, why was this feature not banned on ALL firearms, not just semiautos?  (Same can be said for pistol grips, flash hiders, etc)

Yes, the Lib-Dem pissoff factor is great.

But I will not spend money or time to put on a new front sight base.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Someone please clear this up for me-
I thought the bayonet lug is too far back for a bayonet to mount to on a 16" barrel.  Is that true?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Have we seen any of our soldiers in Afganistan or Iraq with "bayonets fixed"?

actually, there was at least one battle last year where marines fixed bayonets and cleared a trench.
Other than that I agree, lugs are pretty useless, I'm still getting one, just because last week I wasn't allowed to have one!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm just getting mine threaded.  It's a 16" lightweight (pencil barrel)  Not worth getting a bayo lug, no use for it.  I have another no ban upper with one though, I just need a lower for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I have one AR and it's a 16"er with a carbine gas system, no bayo lug for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I thought the bayonet lug is too far back for a bayonet to mount to on a 16" barrel.  Is that true?

I believe someone makes a bayonet designed specifically to address that issue, but as to the specifics of manufacturer and availability, I do not know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I went with a jagged-ended phantom on my post-AWB conversion - I figure that'll work as a sticker in a pinch.

Me too.  Maybe I will glue on a lug..........................not.  If I needed one, I would just use duct tape to attach the bayonet, maybe some 550 cord and safety wire, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#26]
No, with drive-by bayonettings on the rise I didn't want to be acused.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I've already replaced three naked FSB's with GI lugged FSB's on some of my own AR's and several more for friends. Needless to say I also threaded the barrels and installed A2 HF's.

I would never get rid of a perfectly good barrel just to do this, but I already have the tools, the equipment, and the skills to do the job quickly and correctly using the original barrel.

Yeah, the lug is pretty useless and to be honest I don't really need the FH either 'cause my pre-ban Vortex-equipped AR's took care of that problem years ago . But I really wanted accurate clones of the GI M4, A2, and A4 and now I have them - legally .

Then there's the "LOOK" factor. I'll never fault anybody for wanting that. You sure don't have to be a keyboard commando to want a rifle that just looks 'right'. The "piss-off" factor has already been discussed and I agree that it's fun to flaunt our new freedoms in the faces of the assholes out there.

The thing that disturbs me is that there are people on this thread who, out of jealousy or plain ignorance, look for a reason to put down those of us who can either perform this modification ourselves or pay a good 'smith to do it for us. I don't own a six-lb. carbine with ten lbs. of accessories hanging off of it, but you'll never catch me putting down those that do!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I only have one because my new barrel came with a front sight post that had one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Two reasons to put one on;

1) It's supposed to have one.

2) We won back the right to have one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm getting a new 16" BM M4-profile barrel. I've been wantinga lighter barrel than the 20" HBAR I'm using now. I also want a threaded bbl for FS/comp/silencer mount or whatever. So in getting the new bbl, I'm also getting a bayo lug..... of course it's on  a 16", so it's just as useful as if it wasn't there! Had I already had a 16", I wouldn't have upgraded at all. Seemed like a good time to kill multiple birds w/ one stone.

I do however have a bayo...  why??     why not?   what's a couple bucks more?? ;)

I DO have an AR it would fit on, but it's never been on it.
I have a 590 it fits on and.... ok, I won't lie, it's been on it once. I just wanted to see what it'd look like.

I'm just wondering why so many people around here worry about what other people spend their money on.  Besides, the more $ to the "gun industry" the better. Rather it go there than Martha Stewart.

just my 2 cents.

rvb
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#32]
It bothered me so much that my barrel didn't have a bayo lug that I went and bought a full length quad rail to cover the gas block.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not gonna bother putting a bayo lug or flash hider on my Post-Ban rifle. For one thing I don't think there will come a time where I will say "Holy crap, I sure could've used a bayonet in this situation". One day hopefully it will become a collector piece showing future generations how elected officials once tried to take a dump on the second amendment. Besides I would rather spend the money to bling-bling 2 new AR15's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm not gonna bother putting a bayo lug or flash hider on my Post-Ban rifle. For one thing I don't think there will come a time where I will say "Holy crap, I sure could've used a bayonet in this situation". One day hopefully it will become a collector piece showing future generations how elected officials once tried to take a dump on the second amendment. Besides I would rather spend the money to bling-bling 2 new AR15's.

You've never fought zombies to the point where you ran out of ammo have you?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe someone makes a bayonet designed specifically to address that issue, but as to the specifics of manufacturer and availability, I do not know.

Will a bayonet mount on the bushmaster 16 inch M4?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I ordered a gas block on my new M4 upper w/out a bayo lug.  However, I have had to use a bayonet before.  I was at my ranch and killed a rabid raccoon.  When I walked up to it, it was still alive and tried to jump at me.  I took my trusty SKS's bayonet and jabbed him one.  That was the only time I remember using my bayo.......but it did come in handy at that one point.   Overall, it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#37]

No desire to have a bayo lug, at least not enough to pay to put one on. FH and 6pos stock were added tho.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#38]
For those of you with a 16" barrel, there is a bayo adapter that works with setscrews, should the need arise.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No point right now....

I will eventually want a 20" 1:7 stainless barrel to replace my current 1:9 chrome-moly unit...

When I do that, I can get the FH & bayo lug...

Prior to that, I can live with an evil-feature-free rifle, unless Kerry wins & it looks like a new ban is coming...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Leaving my naked barrelled post ban as is, no flash suppressor or stud. Got a new upper on the way with the works. Two set ups beats the hell out of one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Kurt at KKF can put a bayonet lug on if you want one. Check his post in the Industry forums.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yeah, it's true.  You need a 14.5" barrel or an adapter for the 16"

ETA: Hell that's not bad, 35 clams and i got a bayo lug, but I heard the turnaround rate for Kurt's isn't all that great.  Comments?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#43]
not gonna spend an extra $ on a lug that i could be spending on ammo
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#44]
I have had just the flash hiders installed..no bayonet lugs
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I like them because the military has them.Even though I will never use it they are part of the weapon!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
For those of you with a 16" barrel, there is a bayo adapter that works with setscrews, should the need arise.

Where would one get this adapter?

I don't know why, but I like Bayonets.  I've got one for every Rifle I have with a mount... Though I need to get another Mauser Bayonet, I've got 2 rifles 'sharing' one now.  

I admit that noone needs one, and I'll probably never have need to use it, but I do like having them...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had the lug snag on stuff, so I would actually pay money to have it removed. :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I didnt go thru and read the replies, but my competition gun doesnt need and has no purpose for any of the "preban" features. so It will stay 100% postban.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#49]
When I built my rifle I thought ahead. I bought a pre-ban upper and Dremelled off the bayo but kept the threaded barrel. Of course I added the Gogogadgets.net vertical grip so I could keep the threaded barrel and modified a Vortex so ot was over 23mm.
Now that the ban is over I don't feel the need to add the bayo lug. I also am keeping my Cav Arms A1 stock, so I will just have two good items. -pistol grip and threaded barrel. The retracable stock never felt comfortable for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Since what I have now is perfectly acceptable to me without the bayo lug, I don't plan on changing that area. Also. I've got the smith enterprizes MB on long, and short uppers. I'll probably leave the long upper as it is for the recoil reducing properties, and thread the short one for the Phantom with the pointy things, or the Vortec FH. PS the smith brake actually does work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top