Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 6:59:57 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

Was wondering if you could help me out.  My wife and I took My Bushmaster XM15 A2 16" out to the range this weekend and now she wants on.  Here's my dillema.  She says that mine is too heavy.  She's had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and needs something a little lighter.  

Can I go wrong by purchasing her an AR with a light barrel?  Do any of the AR companies out make a better lightweight barrel then another (I was thinking about sticking with Bushmaster)?  Also, how are the light barrels for shooting, I'm afraid of them heating up pretty quickly being that they are so tiny.  What are your thoughts? On reliability?

Thanks

Kev
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I only have time for a quick post...

Something else to consider is balance.   Some think the featherweights are too muzzle light.  A rifle that does not balance well can actually feel heaver than it is.  Also, consider a rifle light profiled under the handguards, and don't forget the mid-lengths.  Some, including me, think the profiled mids balance better than the standard carbines, not to mention the other benefits of a mid.  Of course they're harder to find since profiled mids are made to order.

The best thing you can do is to have her try out as many different configurations as possible and have her decide.  Have her hold them for a while, not just pick them up and put them down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the Fishkeeper reply.

I have a midlength crome lined midlengh barrel that is turned under the handguards to lighten the barrel up.

I would put a m4 stock so she could adjust the length of pull.

and pick up some of the new curved 20 rounder magzines, and she should be set.

I do not know which upper reciver to recomend to her?

you could also think about he composit lower/stock now from bushmaster.

good luck,

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh, I know its not black, but how about the Bushmaster Lady- Its Carbon- 3.9lbs just dont load it down with heavy mags and it shouldnt be over 4-5lbs.. And that should be small and light enough just so long as the recoil isnt doing any damage.Bushmaster Lady
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Uh, I know its not black, but how about the Bushmaster Lady- Its Carbon- 3.9lbs just dont load it down with heavy mags and it shouldnt be over 4-5lbs.. And that should be small and light enough just so long as the recoil isnt doing any damage.www.bushmaster.com/shopping/carbon15/Images/az-c15r21c.jpgBushmaster Lady

Although not the "pretty black rifle" we've come to love, the Bushy Lady would be my choice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand why they put a solid stock on a woman's gun?
Most women appreciate collapsible stocks more than we do.
And don't give me that carbon fiber featherlight crap... most collapsibles are darned lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I built for my wife, she has also thought the other ARs are too heavy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Uh, I know its not black, but how about the Bushmaster Lady- Its Carbon- 3.9lbs just dont load it down with heavy mags and it shouldnt be over 4-5lbs.. And that should be small and light enough just so long as the recoil isnt doing any damage.www.bushmaster.com/shopping/carbon15/Images/az-c15r21c.jpgBushmaster Lady

the superlite with tele-stock is like 6lbs, if not i agree with charism101, go carbon15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Str86diesel,

I posted a similar question a couple months ago and received several recommendations for the Beretta Storm Cx4.  It would fix the balance issue.

JD
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say its between the Bushy superlight with the collapsible stock or the Bushy Lady Bushmaster, my vote going for the first as you can still put regular AR optics on the flattop
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the Advice,  The wife and I just returned from a local gun shop looking at AR's, and she is still not to sure what she wants.  We tried out the Lady Ar as mentioned above, she didn't like the way it felt and that it felt really flemsy.  

Unfortunately, they did not have any featherweights, but I was hoping to let her see one of them.

Stickman - Can you give me some details on that AR that you built your wife?  

Thanks everyone.

Kev
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure, LW barrel, OA upper & lower receiver, regular carry handle, 4 position adjustable stock (lightest without getting into carbonfiber).  I finished the receivers and carryhandle with Norrells Moly Resin in Grayish Black, and then did everything else with Norrells SOCOM (matte black).

For Mrs.Stick, the color change is subtle, but it is different than a typical run of the mill AR15.  It is also enough lighter than the M4 that she likes it much better.  I'll probably get a Hakko (aimpoint clone) and drop it on for her.  Her rifle is going to be a range weapon, and it should run fine for her with that optic.

Another pic....

If you guys were closer, I would say to com eon out and shoot it to see if she liked it, but I doubt it would be worth the commute to WA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Bushmaster has a "hybrid" which is looks like a regular AR but uses alot of carbon fiber components but it's not the Carbon 15. www.bushmaster.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top